Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Let's put together an Altoid Tin Kit Together

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Barlow View Post
    @Chaz

It's a nice little kit. I'm a fan of the tin and pouch, but I have a few suggestions and questions. First I'm curious why you chose band aids over butterfly sutures. With 6 feet of duct tape you could probably use that in place of a band aid for the minor cuts and scrapes. Second, I'm certainly a fan of the fire starter you've included, but I think the striker could be substituted with the saw that you already have included. Even the side with out teeth can be used to get a good shower of sparks. Also I've been curious to see if the handle could be broken off of the metal match that's attached, for a more space efficient fire starter. I love your little flashlight and your prybar, but I think I would have put those on my keys. Lastly, the fresnel lens may not take up much space but I keep mine in my wallet and it might free up enough space in your tin for some moleskin or something. I'm jealous that you managed to fit all those water purifiers in, I might need to do some construction on mine.
    Surprisingly, the band-aids take up very little space when tucked into the lid of the tin. But truth be told, I was thinking band aids more for blisters than cuts. I put duct tape on a blister one time and after I pulled the skin off the blister, i'll never do that again. The striker for the firestarter is is more durable than the small hacksaw blade which is a bit flexible. and my keys are kept somewhere in my pack. If i'm relying on this small kit, it's because I've lost (or been somehow removed) from my main pack so putting anything on a keyring defeats the purpose of having it all in one place, this backup kit.

The other nice thing about the pouch is that there is a small pocket in the front that can hold a few items, though the flatter the better. I may rearrange the kit and put the frensel lens and the signal mirror in the front pouch and that will give me another 1/4-1/2 inch of depth to use in the tin.

Since I took the pictures, I've also added a paracord braid to the back of the pouch.

Ah, I'm glad you told me that duct tape doesn't work well with blisters. I'll be sure to remember that. I think I need to get my hands on one of those pouches. Also, how well does the kit fit into your pocket? If I was just grabbing it and going I'd probably be throwing it in my pocket instead of on my belt. Lastly, does your main pack's hip belt ride on top of the pouch?
    -Austin

Duct tape works well on hot spots, before blisters actually form. I've used it several times to eliminate the "rub" against the skin. I applied it directly to the skin so the rub was on the tape instead of the skin itself.

Try changing socks if a blister is trying to form and retie your boots. If that still doesn't help then duct tape might be just the fix.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Also, how well does the kit fit into your pocket?
    Depends on how big your pockets are.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

touché crash
    -Austin

I wrap my Altoids tin with the sheath pouch of my BK-7...

The sheath has some very good supplies stored under rubber such as a space blanket, five liter water bag, chlorine tablets, several meters of paracord, brass snare wire, and ACR whistle, and a SAK w/o scales. Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Unless otherwise posted, mini 10 cent knife

Welcome. Why don't you take your 10 cents over to the Introduction section and gives us your 2 cents about yourself? (You'll have change left over).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    We don't call 'em briefs anymore. Too many sick jokes at our expense. Now, we call those documents memoranda....
    There is only one sick lawyer joke. All the rest are true.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared