Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Let's put together an Altoid Tin Kit Together

Okay, it looks like so far, this is what we've got:
    Knife/knife substitute
    Fire starting tool (firesteel)
    Condom/other water carrying device (oven bag)
    Diamond hone cards by Smokey Mountain Knife Works
    Water purifying tablets
    Compass
    Fishing line
    Whistle
    Photon light
    Twist tie
    Fish hooks
    Couple of sinkers
    Needle & thread
    Fresnel lens
    Bit of Duct tape
    4” piece of jute or sisal twine – tinder
    Ibuprophen
    Benadryl
    Signal mirror
    Razor blade
    Safety pins
    Trash bag
    Char cloth
    Single use antibiotic ointment
    Dental floss

So, now the question is: are we done, or can some of us with more ideas get a second (third, fourth, whatever) shot now?

Loperamide Hydrochloride Tablets for the treatment of diarrhea. This is a large killer in developing countries due to not haveing enough fluids, which is a circumstance often encountered in a survival situation.

Edit:-

You might also want to consider includeing some snare wire.
    Last edited by Tony uk; 04-26-2009 at 01:12 PM.
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Banned

Default OK Let's tweek it

For the knife I think I'd choose a Buck Gent Lockback. Brushed Stainless Steel Slabs, 2 3/4" closed. High Carbon Stainless blade and about $20 in price.
    The Fishing kit I would use
    -10# Spider Wire Stealth(diameter of 2# mono)
    -3 size 12 European Maggot hooks(very small but strong)
    -3 Size 8 Aberdeen long shank hooks for worms, minnows and other bait.
    -2 triple swivels
    -6 assorted sinkers of various types and weights but nothing over 1/4 ounce.
    -1 small tube of Super or Krazy Glue (a drop on your knot increases break strength)
    - 1 small spoon, 1, 1/8 oz jig with 3 plastic tails
    All in a rifle barrel cleaning brush tube.
    First Aid kit
    -6 Aspirin
    -6 Benedryl
    -6 Imodium
    -3 Anitbiotic ointment individual packs
    -3 1 inch wide self adhesive bandages (the tough kind)
    -2 Knee and Elbow self adhesive bandages
    -6 butterfly stiches
    The water Purifying tablets
    A few cotton balls
    dental floss
    All in a small zip bag rolled very tightly up and secured with rubber bands of various sizes.

Now to load ot all into the tin
    First the diamond hone card which fits flush in the bottom of the tin.
    Then the fresnel lens
    The signal mirror
    Then the oven bag
    then on the side near the hinge the knife
    next to that the fishing kit in it's tube,
    then next to that the first aid kit in the rolled bag
    next to that the ferro rod
    over along the sides one the needles and thread and safety pins
    along the other the twist ties the snare wire sets and the jute, and the Marble's Button Compass.
    on top of that the folded sheet of Heavy Duty aluminum foil
    on top of that the 6' of Duct tape (folded rather than rolled)
    on top of that the trash bag folded up hopefully well enough to fit.
    If we can close the lid we wrap the whole thing with paracord then put it in a heavy duty zip close sandwich bag and put it in one of our cargo pockets.
    At least that is how I would try it first.
    Last edited by hoosierarcher; 04-28-2009 at 11:09 PM.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

nice set up,having good fishing gear is important. I like small hooks, trout,brim,catfish,and others are easy to get. the larger bass hooks and treble hooks tend to be too large for those.and i use hand lines alot. I have a video on wilderness fish hooks just click onto the link in my signature
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Hey guys thought i would throw in somthing not many people have to worry about but i do so heres a couple things i cant go without and keep in my survival kit.

2 of everything my insulin pump runs on (takes up space but they can and do fail easy)

hypodermic needles (if all eles fails with the pump)

a small bottle of hydogen peroxide (easy way to clear up infections in my feet and hands)

small pair of surgical scissors (for cuting out ingrown toe nails witch i easily get)

jolly ranchers (for low blood sugar very high in carbs)

may not all fit in a candy tin lol
    Last edited by KimmyHead; 04-28-2009 at 04:07 AM.

Kimmy, it's all about survival, so that is definitely survival stuff in your gear.

No survival kit is complete without snare wire and Id substitute the thread for dentalfloss.

Banned

Snare wires are in this kit and so is dental floss(in the first aid kit.)

i have one of these, my wife bought it for me when i was going on a solo elk hunt. it is in a sardine like can. i'll post what it comes w/ and we could add or subtract from there,
    1 compass
    2 fire starter cubes
    3m multi use cord
    1 survival/first aid info brochure
    3' multi use wire
    4 waterproof matches
    101' of fish line/ sewing thread
    1 bouillon soup packet
    1 tea bag
    1 sugar packet
    1 book of matches
    2 antiseptic swabs
    1 razor blade
    3 twist ties
    12" duct tape
    1 signal mirror
    1 zip loc bag
    2 adhesive bandages
    2 nails
    2 safety pins
    2 fish hooks
    1 signal whistle
    1 pc chewing gum
    1 sewing needle
    1 energy candy
    1 note paper
    1 pencil
    not to take the fun out of thinking of these on your own, but since it is already an available product, why not think how we can make it better.
    i would add a space blanket. small, light weight. usable to stay warm, dry, signal etc.

***sorry, i only saw first page***
    Last edited by trickyrick; 05-02-2009 at 01:02 AM.

Awhile back I finally got around to making one of these little kits.

Here are the contents of this kit:

- Folding razor blade knife
    - Folding hack saw blade/serrated knife
    - Pre-assembled fishing line (line, hook, weight, float) and extra line
    - 6 feet of duct tape (folded)
    - Various band-aids (10) in mylar baggie
    - Magnifying lens
    - Signal mirror
    - Water purification tablets
    - Whistle
    - Swedish firesteel firestarter
    - Tinder-Quik tinder tabs
    - 10 Lumen Flashlight (super tiny and super bright)
    - Mini pry bar/can opener
    - Button compass
    - Moisture absorbent packet

All of these items fit in the tin, which has a nice waterproof sealed lid. In order to further waterproof this kit, I put the kit in a resealable mylar bag before I put the kit the pouch. The pouch can be worn on a belt or attached to a pack using MOLLE straps or other clips. All in all, this little kit packs quite a few resources in a rather small space.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice little kit. Well done.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

@ Trickyrick - I don't see anything to treat water. You might be using the tin to boil it but can't tell from the list. This is just me but I don't carry a razor blade for any reason. When you get really cold or tired or you've been injured and perhaps in the first stages of shock you will not be thinking as coherently as you are right now. In addition, you motor reflexes will also be impacted. A razor blade becomes a dangerous thing to be fooling with under those circumstances. I like the razor knife that Chaz has or some similar small knife. It has a handle and the blade is protected in the closed position. Just my .02. Otherwise, I like it.

@ Chaz - Where did you pick up the tin and the pouch. I like the kit. It has the basics covered!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    @ Chaz - Where did you pick up the tin and the pouch. I like the kit. It has the basics covered!
    I picked up the tin and pouch here: http://www.bestglide.com/Bags_and_Containers.html

$20 for the tin and pouch. The tin is slightly larger than the standard altoids tin. I'm sure I could have done the kit cheaper, but I never like the quality of the products that some of those premade kits have so I prefer to start with a clean slate and build my own.

Me, too. I know Best Glide well. I've dealt with them quite a bit. Thanks!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Me, too. I know Best Glide well. I've dealt with them quite a bit. Thanks!!
    Excellent company, and they ship immediately.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

My altoids tin has fishing line attached to the lid (drop of superglue at each end) and some 250lb tensile strength twine attached to the bottom same way (outside sides). Lid has a mirror attached inside with a small fish hook glued in each corner (so 4) easily detached (tested). Knife is always on me. Second is in the tin. It is a micro-mini tool thingy. Bought cheap. Small file, small saw, small knife, etc. Not my primary blade, but good for minor tasking. Condom (non lubed of course), fire starter, etc, etc. The compass rides on my belt in a smokeless tobacco holster.
    But, forgot to paint the darn thing first........ Now I get to start all over. Kept looking at the can of ultra flat black paint and trying to remember why I bought it.... lol
    Last edited by Schleprok; 06-08-2009 at 09:30 PM.
    You are your dog's best friend....

@Chaz

It's a nice little kit. I'm a fan of the tin and pouch, but I have a few suggestions and questions. First I'm curious why you chose band aids over butterfly sutures. With 6 feet of duct tape you could probably use that in place of a band aid for the minor cuts and scrapes. Second, I'm certainly a fan of the fire starter you've included, but I think the striker could be substituted with the saw that you already have included. Even the side with out teeth can be used to get a good shower of sparks. Also I've been curious to see if the handle could be broken off of the metal match that's attached, for a more space efficient fire starter. I love your little flashlight and your prybar, but I think I would have put those on my keys. Lastly, the fresnel lens may not take up much space but I keep mine in my wallet and it might free up enough space in your tin for some moleskin or something. I'm jealous that you managed to fit all those water purifiers in, I might need to do some construction on mine.

A question for everyone: What do you guys think about wire saws in a survival kit? I feel like mine takes up a bit more space than I'd like, but I can see it coming in handy in certain situations.
    -Austin

A question for everyone: What do you guys think about wire saws in a survival kit? I feel like mine takes up a bit more space than I'd like, but I can see it coming in handy in certain situations.
    I think they are a waste of space. Most will break easily (yeah, yeah I know you can fashion handles from sticks). I prefer not to carry items that are easily broken, especially if I am limiting the amount of space I have to carry things.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

@ Austin Barlow - Keeping your fresnal lens in your wallet will cause it to crack and break. I learned that the hard way. The constant flexing of the wallet (sitting, walking, etc) takes it's toll on the lens. One day you'll pull it out and it will be in two pieces. Not good if that's the day you need it. Keeping it in the tin will help ensure it's available and in good working order when it's required.

I agree with Crash on the wire saw. I've had them and tried to use them. They almost always break in short order. IMHO, they are a waste of time and money.

I've also used the wire saw. Most of them are cheap and break the first time you use it, or simply don't work at all.