Thread: Converting a Refrigerator to a Smoker

Banned

Thumbs up Converting a Refrigerator to a Smoker

My Friend Made one of these, works GREAT, smoked whole turkeys, Mmm Outstanding !

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Converting a Refrigerator to a Smoker

1. Damper control
    2. Shelves or racks
    3. Smoke inlet hole
    4. Metal baffle supported at 3” to 4” above smoking inlet perforated with many holes
    5. Sheet-metal screws
    6. Heat source:
    Electric hot plate
    Hibachi
    Butane gas burner
    7. Old frozen food compartment, or refrigeration unit space
    8. 2 or 3 — 2” or 4” holes for draft
    9. Alternate draft control
    10. If refrigerator has no lower compartment, heat source may be placed right in the refrigerator, but preferably raise the refrigerator and build a lower compartment for the heat source.

A good smoke oven can be made from an old refrigerator. It is well insulated and so will hold heat, save fuel, and finish off food more quickly, for example, than the shed-type smoke house. The refrigerator already has a number of removable metal racks. It has a full-length door that is convenient for loading and unloading. Here are some hints for conversion.

It is best to keep the smoke-making equipment outside the storage compartment. This permits maximum use of the inside ca*pacity for the meat or fish being smoked. Cut a hole about 8” di*ameter in the floor; one inch above it, mount a horizontal metal plate as a baffle, to dissipate the smoke.

If the refrigerator is of the type that has the machinery under*neath the storage compartment, remove the motor and compressor. Utilize this space for making smoke with a hotplate and a pan of hardwood chips. If the bottom section is a removable vegetable bin, do the same. Or, for maximum capacity, raise the refrigerator on four concrete blocks, cut a hole in the bottom, and set the smoke apparatus outside. Build an enclosure of plywood, metal or concrete blocks around the smoke source, so that the smoke cannot drift aside, but is forced into the refrigerator.

In the top of the refrigerator cut one 3” or two 2” holes. Arrange something—pivoted metal flaps, bricks, etc.—to control the aper*ture of these vents. Alternatively, fit a two-foot length of stovepipe with a butterfly damper

Operating Notes:

To avoid cutting large holes, removing compressors, or making other major alterations, the hotplate and pan of chips may be placed in the main storage compartment.

It is well to bear in mind that a refrigerator is not designed to withstand heat! The author once converted a ‘fridge by cutting a hole in the bottom, then lit a fire of charcoal briquettes underneath, using green boughs to make smoke. Around the edge of the hole, the insulation was exposed. All at once, the refrigerator caught fire and the insulation burned up! Several similar incidents have been reported. So, for safety’s sake, use no other heat source than a hot plate inside a ‘fridge. With an outside heat source, do not let flames come near the insulation. Whatever smoke generating system is used, beware of excessive heat.

To use the cold-smoke process, dig a fire pit as described for the box-smoker, and lead the smoke into the refrigerator from a distance.

From - Home book of Smoke-Cooking Meat, Fish & Game
    By Jack Sleight & Raymond Hull

http://www.kitchenproject.com/BBQ/Re...oker/index.htm

On You tube, http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...snum=0&spell=1
    Last edited by Justin Case; 02-28-2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: sp

Pretty cool! Thanks for posting it Justin.
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Banned

Exclamation

Refrigerator racks are a NO NO for a smoker
    Fridge racks are galvanized, aluminum or chromed.

The zinc in galvanized racks reacts with the brine residue and affects the flavor of your fish. Same thing with aluminum. Chromium is a heavy metal/toxin that accumulates in the body (CHROMIUM POISONING)

But thanks for the information.
    Also for anyone else reading please always do research before you go out and try things

this was a very common method when I was a kid. As I remember the racks were discarded and wooden rods were inserted cross wise in the fridge. Then the meat or fish was hung from these rods either with butcher cord or iron hooks. I've not seen a smoke house were the meat was laid on racks, could be a common method just not in these parts.

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SHTFM View Post

Refrigerator racks are a NO NO for a smoker

But thanks for the information.
    Also for anyone else reading please always do research before you go out and try things
    Source Please ?

what about foil ?
    Last edited by Justin Case; 02-13-2011 at 10:46 AM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Source Please ?

what about foil ?
    The scource is common sense.

Fridge racks are galvanized and do not need food and heat applied at the same time. As long as they are cooling, as a fridge, you will have no problem but any amount of heat and zinc is guarenteed to give you problems eventually.

Foil over galvinized metal will not help due to the release of gasses from the calvinized coating.

These jerry rigged fridge smokers have been around for decades and the problems have ben the same for decades. Between the plastic, insulation, and galvinized metals you can wipe out a whole clam bake in a single afternoon.

Easier and safer to find an old wall locker or a couple of oil drums somewhere.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I like the method I've seen online with terracota pots and a heating plate, though I don't plan on smoking a lot of food at once, so room isn't an issue. That or some patience and you can find plenty of old bricks to use.

I would avoid an old fridge just because of common sense. Plastic and certain metals are bad with heat. There are plenty of other resources available for a smoker anyway. I know I've seen instructions to use metal garbage cans, but those are galvanized or zinc as well, so it presents the same problem.

I think that if I were going to do a lot of smoking to preserve meats that I'd build a small smokehouse.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel