Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hitchhiking, Homeless, "Drifting"

Colorado Springs, CO wildography's Avatar
    Colorado Springs, CO; I've lived in 9 states, traveled through 32 others

Default Hitchhiking, Homeless, "Drifting"

Well, I will be losing my housing on Tuesday; lack of employment has taken its toll; supposedly, there are about 25,000 people out of work in Colorado Springs. Even the more "mundane" types of jobs are being snapped up as quickly as they become available. And I think that my employment record keeps me from being considered for the lower wage type jobs ("he's over-qualified... he'd never stay with us").

So, I'll be applying some of the things that I've been learning (hence my previous "went camping this weekend" post a month or so ago). I did a few searches, in this forum, and didn't really find specific topics about my situation... so I thought I'd post this...

Initially, I'll be doing the "camping" thing... and going to the Rescue Mission/Men's Shelter on bad weather days. My situation isn't actually as "bad" as it sounds... I'm kind of looking at it as an "adventure". I plan on staying in Colorado Springs "for a while"... however long "for a while" is...

I'm also looking at moving back east... one thing that I'm considering is the North Carolina area... initially the Triad of Greensboro/W-S/HighPoint and maybe drifting back and forth to the Nag's Head area of the coast and the Ashville/Blue Ridge Parkway area in western North Carolina.

Transportation is an issue; a holdover from a bad divorce (I gave up -literally - everything, for the sake of my daughter), a greedy ex-wife, and some other issues. I don't have a car or bicycle. So, should I decide to move back east... I'll be doing a combination of hitch-hiking/back-packing/etc.

I am going to try and see if I can get a bus ticket also... or catch a ride some other way.

I do a lot with "the church" (non-denominational) so, I'm doing the "here am I, send me" type of thing (this isn't really the forum for THAT kind of discussion - you can find me on a Christian forum under my user name).

anyways... does any one have any suggestions and / or stories as to being "homeles" (though, I hate that term, its mis-leading, IMHO), hitchhiking, or "drifting" across country?

My participation in this forum may slow somewhat, due to my current situation... but I'll keep coming back... I've learned a lot here!
    all men die; few truly live

Blog Entries

Hey, I'm sorry to read your post. And I truly understand the whole post divorce situation.

Whichever way it goes for you, I wish you the best of luck. Keep in touch with us, okay?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by wildography View Post
    Well, I will be losing my housing on Tuesday; lack of employment has taken its toll; supposedly, there are about 25,000 people out of work in Colorado Springs. Even the more "mundane" types of jobs are being snapped up as quickly as they become available. And I think that my employment record keeps me from being considered for the lower wage type jobs ("he's over-qualified... he'd never stay with us").

So, I'll be applying some of the things that I've been learning (hence my previous "went camping this weekend" post a month or so ago). I did a few searches, in this forum, and didn't really find specific topics about my situation... so I thought I'd post this...

Initially, I'll be doing the "camping" thing... and going to the Rescue Mission/Men's Shelter on bad weather days. My situation isn't actually as "bad" as it sounds... I'm kind of looking at it as an "adventure". I plan on staying in Colorado Springs "for a while"... however long "for a while" is...

I'm also looking at moving back east... one thing that I'm considering is the North Carolina area... initially the Triad of Greensboro/W-S/HighPoint and maybe drifting back and forth to the Nag's Head area of the coast and the Ashville/Blue Ridge Parkway area in western North Carolina.

Transportation is an issue; a holdover from a bad divorce (I gave up -literally - everything, for the sake of my daughter), a greedy ex-wife, and some other issues. I don't have a car or bicycle. So, should I decide to move back east... I'll be doing a combination of hitch-hiking/back-packing/etc.

I am going to try and see if I can get a bus ticket also... or catch a ride some other way.

I do a lot with "the church" (non-denominational) so, I'm doing the "here am I, send me" type of thing (this isn't really the forum for THAT kind of discussion - you can find me on a Christian forum under my user name).

anyways... does any one have any suggestions and / or stories as to being "homeles" (though, I hate that term, its mis-leading, IMHO), hitchhiking, or "drifting" across country?

My participation in this forum may slow somewhat, due to my current situation... but I'll keep coming back... I've learned a lot here!
    Do ya thang bro. I'm currently living out of my truck. I still have my job, which is why I'm living out of the truck. I moved the wife and kiddo, dogs, cats, grills, homestead et. all to DFW last weekend. I've been bouncing around San Antonio until my company either finalizes which position I'm moving into in DFW and gives me a date to report there, or they tell me no, we can't do it,and I find something else. Either way, I feel ya. The only benefit to my situation is I do have a vehicle (and I made damn sure I had one I could live out of if I had to, cause, ya know, I am.)

But yeah, I didn't look at it as a problem, but a chance to test out a lot of that "survival" stuff I've been working on. I'm putting my BOB and my field gear to the test, as well as most of the "urban survival" stuff. It's a little different since it's not a REAL SHTF scenario, but, ya know, it is what it is, and it is what I make of it.

As I don't support organized (criminal) religion in any form or fashion, churches are out of the question, but if I didn't have a vehicle I'd be in a shelter quick fast and in a hurry. Most of them can help you get employment that will at least pay enough to get you a bus ticket. Should be able to come up with one for less than $200. Or, you can always go sell Plasma to get the cash, but that will take you about 2 weeks to get that kinda cash if you don't spend any, and it's hard on your body/mind, and very invasive (sucking out blood, seperating the plasma from it, and pumping the rest back into you. But it pays.)

Or theres always hitting the block and putting in work for a crew to get some cash to get out of there. Not that you sound like the type of guy to do that, but desperate times call for desperate measures, and that type of work PAYS.

Good luck, homie.
    Keep it real. Keep it safe. Keep it loaded.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

good luck wild.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Talk to Hoosierarcher, he may be able to give you some tips.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Sorry about your situation. Might I suggest there is more work on the west coast? A lot of out of work friends have recently found work in the bay area and southern California.

It's extra sucky you don't have a car... Even a non running car is worthwhile as you can at least store your stuff in it. I have been there before, but I at least had a pickup with a shell.

Also, You are somewhat computer savvy. Right? Consider starting a weblog (blog) about your experiences and put a donation link to a paypal account. You never know what may come your way...

Here are some links that may be of some help:

http://www.boondocking.org/

http://www.phrannie.org/boondock.html

http://www.hud.gov/homeless/index.cfm

http://4homeless.hypermart.net/soup_kitchens.html

http://www.homelessamerican.com/

Hang in there! You are not alone...

B-D
    "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

In the early 1990's I hitchhiked from Montana to California, then Cali to Washington DC, and then back to Montana- through the southeast USA, then up the rockies from New Mexico. It was awesome. I did it over a summer. I worked odd jobs along the way.

It completly changed my perspective on people and my philosophy on life. My hitching experiences lead me to believe that most people are inheriantly good- and want to help others out- not do them harm (as my parents led me to believe). I had people give me way more than just rides...and I never asked for anything other than a ride. I had people buy me countless meals, invite me to their homes to stay the night, offer me work, pay for a hotel room for me in the rain, buy me a bus ticket to get out of a city a ways. I met a lot of really, really great people- from all socio-economic groups.

A couple of words of advice to help you get rides easier.
    - Stay clean...well showered and clean clothes- trimmed facial hair
    -One pack...only have one backpack- keep it compact without stuff hanging off of it. People won't stop if they think your pack wont fit in their rig
    -Hitch alone...no dogs or other hobo's- its more than just a space issue...one person is less of a threat
    -Stand -up Straight....when on the side of the road, stand up, look approaching motorist in the eyes, and then SMILE with your arm fully extended and thumb raised HIGH. I always got rides like this....sitting down with your head down and thumb barely out is a sure-fire way to get stuck in one-place. Look alive and friendly.
    -Have a sign....signs work really, really well. They make you look like you have someplace to go...not just some hobo looking for a ride.

Couple of rules when getting a ride
    -keep your pack between your legs...not in the trunk or bed of a truck
    -never take rides that want gas money....always say you have no money. If you get to know a person and want to pitch-in, do so at the end of the ride. Never show your money!
    -Never sleep while riding. Stay in camp and rest. Stay alert while riding with people
    -Do not accept open bottles of beverages, or food that is not communal.

I'll post more as I remember! Good Luck
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Like Jason Montana, I once spent about a year on the road, though in the 1970s, not the 1990s. What I learned was sightly different, "Poor people are decent - rich people are rich because they are stingy." I did yard work for some wealthy people along the way - no matter what you'd agreed upon beforehand - seemed like they tried to take advantage of you. Poorer people were much more likely to pick you up - and offer you a place to stay.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

RBB,
    I agree poorer people defiently are more likely to pick-you up, and offer to help or give you more- with nothing in return. I did have several wealthier types pick me up, and generally they never "gave" me anything. But, they often offered me a chance to earn some money doing some thing around there place. I had this one guy pick me up, on the other side of the country, and it turned out he went to high school with my Dad! He let me stay at his place for a couple of days, paid me to strip these old cedar shingles off his garage, and then he bought me a bus ticket.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

You know your situation better than I. Is unemployment insurance an option to get you through for a while (rhetorical question).

Networking is the single best source for finding another job. Knowing someone that knows of a position about to open up. That sort of thing. Put out feelers to your church and to other friends and acquaintances. They will generally know of a job much sooner than waiting for it to be posted in the paper.

If you are a vet, talk to the veterans groups in your area. VFW, for example. Let them know you're looking. There are probably some vets that would put you to work just to get you through and help you find another job.

I'm sorry you got caught up in a bad situation. I wish you the best of luck.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

On that whole hitch hiking sign thing...

I always did better with one that had a destination and the word "please" on it.

A good friend added on the back of his, written backwards... "F*ck 0ff" for the Cadillacs that passed him by... Don't do that...

Quote Originally Posted by Badawg View Post
    A good friend added on the back of his, written backwards... "F*ck 0ff" for the Cadillacs that passed him by... Don't do that...
    lol. Why not? Seems perfectly reasonable to me. Not like you're going to get arrested for it. Just make sure it's in 4 inch bold letters and written so they can read it in the mirror.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams

Cause he pissed somebody off and they came back and knocked his teeth out...

Quote Originally Posted by Badawg View Post
    Cause he pissed somebody off and they came back and knocked his teeth out...
    roflmfao

Well, it's like I've always said, if you can't back it, don't talk it.
    Samuel Adams

As a woman, I don't have the hitchhiking issues...I was walking barefoot down the road the other day in a dress and at least half a dozen people pulled over in just under 2 miles. I didn't have my thumb out and they didn't understand when I tried to explain I was just out for a stroll.

The only advice I would have is to BE CAREFUL. I had a friend who became homeless and ended up being attacked and thrown in a dumpster to die.

I would much rather see you in a shelter. They really do try to help set you up with employment and at least you are in a safe place.

I'm sorry about stopping three times like that. I didn't realize that was you. And please don't mention the thing about the candy, okay?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

:P tsk tsk tsk

Good luck to you Wildography.
    I can't say much more than the others have.
    Keep your wits about you.
    I don't know how the old weapons on your person thing goes if you are homeless (if you carry?) but it might be something to think about.
    It's a dog eat dog world out there

You need to have a conversation with hobowankanobe. Apparently, he's spent years on the road.

Banned

Here are a few ways to scrape together some cash.
    Pickup aluminum cans from the roadside, gas station trash cans and wherever else and find the local scrapyard to sell them at. 20 to 40 cents per pound is the local price the lower one right now. Still easier way to make unlimited income. Dumpster dive behind stores and apartment complexes. I found things that I could pawn many times. Also found things that I could put in a friends yardsale. On days when you're cleanest walk door to door and ask if the person that answers the door needs any odds jobs done. If they say "No." ask if you can have a drink of water please? this will do two things, first give you a good clean drink of water every now and then and time for them to reconsider. Even if they don't have an odd job they may give you a sandwich or more of a meal or a few bucks. Either of which will help that day be better. Even if they say no to the glass of water thank them for their time and bid the a good day. That has caused many a christian to chase after me and ask me to mow their already mowed lawn for 10 bucks or offer me a place to sleep in the garage. One thing to remember is it is NOT unmanly to ask people for help. And Even though it is often touted to Christians that"The Lord helps those that help themselves." You never know who will "be Jesus" for you and help you out. You have to give people the chance to listen to the better angels of their nature. It will be the help you get that blesses both of you.
    Before you're totally broke take 100 dollars and put it in a pocket you normally don't get things out of and not in your wallet. NEVER spend it no matter how bad you think you need to. What this is for is your stay out of jail for vagrancy money. Most places you have to have at lest $100 on your person to show a means of at least temporary support. As a discount motel will give you as much as 4 days in a room for that $100 the cops will usually let you go, as long as you're reasonably clean. That is another thing to remember. Keep yourself clean. Have a good set of "Looking for work clothes" that you keep neatly folded in your pack. I used gas station and fast food restaurant restrroms to watch up in and I have a pair of Brawn clippers that I kept my hair short and well trimmed with. I keep my knives literally sharp enough to shave with and have used them many a time to do just that. But desposible razors are cheap enough to get every once in a while. Buy sample size hygiene products from the Local Wally World. You can get enough of everything for basic hygiene for about two weeks for under 5 bucks. If you don't look homeless you wont be treated as a "bum." Remember that your lower half needs to be cleaned very regularly. What marks most homeless people is even if they have on decent clothes is that they are malordorous aka they stink. Mostly it's the lower half of the body that makes the smells that civilized folk find offensive. Your armpits are close enough to your own nose to make you keep them in mind. Oh and having nearly religious hygiene will also help keep you healthier. If I can be any more help just ask.