Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: can you live off of meat..

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by red lake View Post
    Read a book called Tundra by Farley Mowat. Goes into some great detail about foods eaten during winter in the Tundra
    Plant food.....?

ummmm, reindeer moss and fermented blubber. goes great with tiny little blueberry plants.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    ummmm, reindeer moss and fermented blubber. goes great with tiny little blueberry plants.

Yes and about 4 other Berry's in September, and Oct. But how do you find Berry's that are buried under 4' feet of snow when it is -61* BELOW ZERO. The hard reality is many starved to death, and sometimes entire villages starved to death.

I can assure you of one thing. If my survival depended on foraging for moss and berries that are burried beneath 4 feet of snow, and the temperature is -61............I'm gonna die.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I just hope you go first. I'm getting pretty darned hungry!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Be careful - the meat's tough and kind of fatty.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

nah, it's marbled, well suited for a roast. that's the ticket.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Question Mostly meat diet. . .

If you're looking at a mostly red meat diet due to lack of available vegetation, the you need to eat the bones, brains, eyes, etc. The body needs a certain amount of fat, especially for optimum brain function. Plants give us the necessary chlorophyll, vitamins and minerals that you can't get from meat alone.

You can also harvest pine nuts, acorn, walnuts etc. (depending on the trees in your area). Nuts are a great addition to a mostly meat diet. The fats and oils would be a great companion to red meat.

While foraging for wild edible plants is impossible under 4' of snow, you can forage before the snow falls. Then you can either can or dry the fruits, berries, plants, etc.

I dry a lot of the fruit I pick during the summer and early fall. I hang it from the ridge beam inside the cabin and let them dry there. Not only does it make then readily accessible, but it also adds a pleasant aroma while they are drying.

I can most of the produce from the garden. I prefer eating the canned veggies, as opposed to reconstituting them from their dried state.

JM2C!
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.