Thread: Fuzz Sticks

Default Fuzz Sticks

I was wondering about the exact technique of making fuzz sticks, and how you use them to start a fire. Is it some kind of dead seasoned wood? I've seen and heard about them being made, but I never knew exactly how they were used to start fires and things.
    "When we get people who are more concerned about reading the rights to an Al Qaeda terrorist than they are with protecting the United States against people who are absolutely committed to do anything they can to kill Americans, then I worry"-Dick Cheney

Fuzz sticks are used to make fire rather than a solid stick. Fuzz sticks can be made up whenever you have some extra time on your hands to whittle away. Because of their curled nature from whittling, they start a fire rather easily. I always try to use dead wood whenever I can.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

Here is a thread we had on fuzz sticks a while back

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ht=fuzz+sticks
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Blog Entries

Almost always. I just don't make 'em from so small material. Big and nice curls with some dry "naava" does the trick.
    Survival is not about surviving AGAINST the nature. It's about surviving WITH the nature.

You can't go in to nature, nature is not a place or an object. Nature just is. You are living it.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

you can shave them or use splintered wood from a broken or fallen tree. use fuzz sticks like a torch, make a core of the tinyest toothpicks surround them with slightly larger splinters, then larger, place tinder bark ,tinder fungus or starting material on the tooth pics and light with flint.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Thanks a lot. All this information is very helpful.
    "When we get people who are more concerned about reading the rights to an Al Qaeda terrorist than they are with protecting the United States against people who are absolutely committed to do anything they can to kill Americans, then I worry"-Dick Cheney