Thread: Economic Survivalists

After reading the story, I was wondering if it was more of a desire to change their lifestyle than economic survival. Afterall, buying 40 acres ainn't cheap. I applaud their efforts for whatever reason they chose to make changes.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    Reviving "almost lost" skills and preparing for tough days make people feel more in control (emphasis added)
    Probably the key to all that we do, in my opinion. It will be interesting to see how many folks revert back to their old life once the economy fires back up.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

poor girl, ibet she wants to run away

I didn't really have time to comment earlier but I believe this is catching on more and more. Yes 40 acres ain't cheap, but if you look at it in terms of long term cost savings it's a possitive gain. This family turning everything off like satellite T.V., cell phones ect., plus lower electricity and utilities will pay off big time. I can imagine the extra hundreds of dollars a month they don't have to pay for any of that stuff would pay the land loan by itself. Then you consider the money they save on food with the garden and raising pigs and chickens and you have another several hundred a month they don't pay out in groceries. I can see knocking off a couple thousand a month easy when you add everything up. If the dad tends the farm, you can do alright with just mom working a low paying job. Of course none of this is new, I just think it is catching on more than most realize. I especially like the part about how the cycle of working to pay for more stuff was unfullfilling. Most people have jobs that allow them to live what they consider comfortable lives (suburbia), but all they get out of it is security instead of any meaningfull substance.

Quote Originally Posted by RichJ View Post
    Most people have jobs that allow them to live what they consider comfortable lives (suburbia), but all they get out of it is security instead of any meaningfull substance.
    Meaningful substance can be lacking anywhere. If you are looking for a job and a house in the suburbs to fulfill you you are sunk before the first cannon is fired. Just like if you are seeking the same by moving out into the bush.

"Meaningful Substance" needs to be found within you, not externally. Once you realize that, it doesn't matter where you are living or what you are doing, you can find meaning to your life or whatever you feel is missing. Seeking it externally will always leave you empty.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine_Sapper View Post
    Meaningful substance can be lacking anywhere. If you are looking for a job and a house in the suburbs to fulfill you you are sunk before the first cannon is fired. Just like if you are seeking the same by moving out into the bush.

"Meaningful Substance" needs to be found within you, not externally. Once you realize that, it doesn't matter where you are living or what you are doing, you can find meaning to your life or whatever you feel is missing. Seeking it externally will always leave you empty.

Now that deserves a little GREEN dingle'berry thingie (Reputation) kind'a glad we did not kill and eat the sapper last month....
    Last edited by Sourdough; 04-16-2009 at 11:48 AM.

Yep Sapper almost took the Jerry McGuire title away from WE with that one. Nicely done.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

I was going to say great post Sapper, but since everybody else is, I will just add - yep, what they said.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

thats a logical direction to go,and with todays banking excitements,we all need to reel screaming into the woods.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine_Sapper View Post

Yes, of course I agree with that. I'm just stating my interpretation of the article based on the lead subjects comments in it. A lot of people who thought they'd find happiness in the cookie cutter lifestyle find it unfullfilling, and making a break for a more self sustaining lifestyle is an appealing alternative. No?

Quote Originally Posted by RichJ View Post
    Yes, of course I agree with that. I'm just stating my interpretation of the article based on the lead subjects comments in it. A lot of people who thought they'd find happiness in the cookie cutter lifestyle find it unfullfilling, and making a break for a more self sustaining lifestyle is an appealing alternative. No?
    Absolutely. I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was just expanding on the idea you posted and stating my opinion as to why it would not work they way the average person is hoping.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

O.k. just checking.

Nice post. Having found that little slice of Heaven inside, I now want toys. Lots and lots of toys.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.