Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: how to stay warm on a winter night

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    yup ,I knoew ,its why if someone fall into frozen water the first thing you should do is remove clothing from both the victom and yourself and get as close as you can to help warm them up.
    Well if it's really frozen water they'll either bounce or splatter, but freezing cold water...I'm going to start pushing people in (welllll some people..heh heh heh)
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

run away from the water owl-girl fast!!!!! LOL!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Once I dared my uncle to dunk his head in glacier water. He said only if I did it first ( thinking I wouldn’t do it ). But of cores I did, and I have to admit it felt like knives stabbing me all over my hed, but it was worth it to see him do it.

BURRRRR thats making me shiver just thinking about it LOL!

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Blog Entries

Cool Oh really?

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    yup ,I knoew ,its why if someone fall into frozen water the first thing you should do is remove clothing from both the victom and yourself and get as close as you can to help warm them up.
    I tried using that line when I was 17 but no luck! Probably because the weather was wrong and we had no freezing water!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

SARGE!LOL you probably did too hehehe!heard it a few times myself!

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

the only thing that bear has done that made sense to me was to do some pt(sorry didn't mean to ryme it) get the blood moving into the extremities(consentrate on what im saying trax) need to keep blood in the hands and feet, so some pushups ( hmm) or rather the front leaning rest position and the side straddle hop(jumping jacks for all you civillians) should get the heart pumping.

Default riiiiight

blood to the extremities, yeahhhh, I got that, oh hands and feet....never mind

that is darn good advice wareagle, movement makes the heart pump and helps keep the core temperature stable.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    I did onetime make a fireless camp while hunting in the Chat. NF. Froze my but off. December in Ga., can get cold. I was hunting pre 1840 style, big time stupid mistake was to get my mocs wet and leggins up to my knees crossing a stream. It was later in the afternoon.

Worst night in the woods I've ever spent. Can honestly say that if it was not for the Turkey, I would not have slept. Next morning, cold, frosty, miserable, had a shot at a spike, cap did not ignite. While cleaning the nipple an 8 point monster walked up on me, oh about 6' away.

All in all, had a good time as anytime in the woods is good.

All you had to do was find a long straight log about 2 feet taller than you and place it in a low crook in a tree, about 3 feet off the ground. place sticks the whole length on either side leaning against the log. Fill the space with dry leaves and cover it with dry leaves about 3 feet thick, it looks like a big leaf pile. Climb inside and cover the opening with more leaves. I've tried this method and it works surprisingly well, even keeps rain out pretty good.
    Last edited by DEET; 08-01-2007 at 03:30 PM. Reason: sausage fingers

Quote Originally Posted by DEET View Post
    All you had to do was find a long straight log about 2 feet taller than you and place it in a low crook in a tree, about 3 feet off the ground. place sticks the whole length on either side leaning against the log. Fill the space with dry leaves and cover it with dry leaves about 3 feet thick, it looks like a big leaf pile. Climb inside and cover the opening with more leaves. I've tried this method and it works surprisingly well, even keeps rain out pretty good.
    I read in one of the posting recently someone said how our responses reflect our own geography/environment. How true. While this and many other answers have been very find and workable ones, know what your chances are of finding a leaf in Manitoba in December--February? By the time you've moved enough snow to find one, you've got a lovely snow house to stay warm in anway, lol.

Good wordsBear, a reflecting fire is really a good way to go, even if you have just rocks, build both walls as such, for a front and back reflection and heat sink to boot, watch the wind direction. Buried hot rocks on bottom if a decent layer of mineral earth is to be had or if on a rock ledge get closer to seeping warmth from the fire heat sink.
    Last edited by carcajou garou; 08-13-2007 at 07:41 PM.
    To thyne self be true

Blog Entries

Deet,

Easy for you to say, I was wet, cold, and the bottle of Turkey was half gone. Easier to just, pass out.