Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how to stay warm on a winter night

Default how to stay warm on a winter night

if your out in the bush on a winter night and your area happens to have stones/rocks you can take a bunch of em and put them in the fire, then after about 2 hours take them out and burry them under about 6 in of sand/dirt in your shelter, they will keep it nice and toasty! Just make sure they arn't touching anything flamable. If your going to sleep on top of them you should wait for a few till the steam leaves from the sand. Oh an one more thing, if the rocks are wet i hear they can explode if you put them in the fire so you should probably avoid taking rocks from a river or something.

I've read that granite makes a better fire stone than chert or flint. Not as many fissures in granite to hold trapped water to cause a rock to explode violently when heated too fast.
    With Christ, all things are possible.

do they hold heat well?

I read that granite isn't as quick to explode when heated like the chert and flint types of stone.
    With Christ, all things are possible.

im pretty sure i saw something like this on man vs wild

maybe so, that guy does a lot. I haven't seen all of those or any of the surviver man ones, my only opportunity to is at work because i do not own a TV

i wonder what the tempature would be laying on that and if youll get burns on your back

hard to say, i'd prolly start with a lot of dirt on top and then remove dirt till it was comfortable. It would be better to do it that way then get burned while your figuring it out.

Talking

I would probably end up purposely making the rocks explode... you know so it would be like the fourth of july again.. Sorry for my randomness.

i;ve tried it the rocks are very hard to get from the fire beacuse of the heat i've burned myself from this method it does work just be CAREFUL

If you laid rocks in a shape as long as your body. then built a fire on the rocks .you could wait untill it was coals and hot stones before covering them up with dirt. the ground would be hot allready so the heat may last longer. may take too much effort and wood but hey. . . . .just throwin it out there.
    leave it like you found

that could work, as for the burning yourself there is a way to make a device with sticks to get the stuff out of the fire. I'd have to look it up but if your smart an don't rush you should be able to figure it out eventually... knowing me though i'd prolly be in a hurry and burn myself

Light a fire for a man keep him warm for a night, light a man on fire keep him warm for the rest of his life!

random joke...

[QUOTE=thinkfree3;900]Light a fire for a man keep him warm for a night, light a man on fire keep him warm for the rest of his life! /QUOTE]

love that line funny but alot of sheeple don't see the humor/truth in that right away.

Yes those rocks do explode. had one the size of a football blast apart and came at me about 10 feet away. got it's moisture from lying in contact with the ground. hot rock beds are fine, just use a big stick to roll them from the fire to your bed pit then cover them up with some earth, adjust depth as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHorDIE View Post
    If you laid rocks in a shape as long as your body. then built a fire on the rocks .
    To save time and energy in an emergency setting, I'd limit the size to only your upperbody where the heat is needed most. If its not cold enough to really threaten you, just make you miserable, then I would think about placing a rock at my feet to keep the toes warm.

Food for thought.

If you placed one around the upper body and one towards the feet,would that not keep you warm if you have a blanket to help hold in the heat?I have at least 1 heat blanket per family member ,and buy up all the little heat packs that I can get on clearance at the end of winter,does anyone else have any other ideas for staying warm in emergencies?

Blog Entries

Many years back, I set up camp in Jan. I always carry a piece of canvas, I just made a tarp, built a fire close, but not too close. Well close enough that I had a stack of wood that I could grab and throw into the fire.

The fire, was just a fire. I did however stand a series of logs up on the far side to direct the heat towards me. Worked out well and it kept me pretty warm.

I did onetime make a fireless camp while hunting in the Chat. NF. Froze my but off. December in Ga., can get cold. I was hunting pre 1840 style, big time stupid mistake was to get my mocs wet and leggins up to my knees crossing a stream. It was later in the afternoon.

Worst night in the woods I've ever spent. Can honestly say that if it was not for the Turkey, I would not have slept. Next morning, cold, frosty, miserable, had a shot at a spike, cap did not ignite. While cleaning the nipple an 8 point monster walked up on me, oh about 6' away.

All in all, had a good time as anytime in the woods is good.

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    While cleaning the nipple an 8 point monster walked up on me, oh about 6' away.
    That's when the real mountain men grab it by the spread and wrestle it into a neck-snapping position.

I can just imagine that thing walking up on you with a blank "oh s#&" look on your face during mid-cleaning. And then the buck starts to snort, grunt, and stomp its hoof. I'd be thinking, "Oh my d@mn!"

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post

The fire, was just a fire. I did however stand a series of logs up on the far side to direct the heat towards me. Worked out well and it kept me pretty warm.
    This type of fire is called a reflector fire. The ideal sleeping shelter is a lean-to with its back to the wind and a reflector fire directing heat into the shelter. It is a good idea to gather three times as much wood as you think you will need. When rain or snow is not a threat, a reflector fire directing heat toward a large rock or dirt bank that is blocking the wind can make for a warm place to sleep. The heat is reflected toward the rock or bank and then back onto you. Now you have heat reflecting on you from both sides.