Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stranded in Alaska on Discovery Channel

Actually in this show I think it is pretty straight up. They don't get kicked off the show, but rather they each have a SPOT beacon and can signal for rescue anytime they feel they can't go on, or whatever their reason to check out is. Interestingly (to me) the most experienced hiker (quit in the last show) said that he came to push himself to his limits. He was frustrated at having to wait on the slower hikers. I guess he found out what his limits were and that interacting with others was not included.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

the fastest man in the group is always right behind the slowest. groups are an "everybody" involvement routine. and out there like that, teamwork that failed? reminds me of the DONNER party, who wasted away in the sierra's. every one of them a chief, not a single indian anywhere.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

it still cracks me up that they've yet to try to forage for wild edibles and are dead set on fishing and hunting for all their food needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    it still cracks me up that they've yet to try to forage for wild edibles and are dead set on fishing and hunting for all their food needs.
    Need protein.

What was the deal with throwing rocks/sticks at the gopher when they had a gun? Seemed like a huge waste of time.

Actually in this show I think it is pretty straight up. They don't get kicked off the show, but rather they each have a SPOT beacon and can signal for rescue anytime they feel they can't go on, or whatever their reason to check out is. Interestingly (to me) the most experienced hiker (quit in the last show) said that he came to push himself to his limits. He was frustrated at having to wait on the slower hikers. I guess he found out what his limits were and that interacting with others was not included.
    Seems like I've been the lone woodsmen in a group of city slickers a few times. It can be extremely frustrating - especially if you feel group (or your) survival depends on doing the right thing at the right time - and someone who knows nothing about it - always has a better idea.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

With what was shown, it wasn't about doing it right or better for him, just doing it faster.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

For those interested, another episode airs tonight.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Darn, it's not listed on Netflix yet. Netflix even lists movies not released on DVD yet.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    [B]The two most experienced people have quit. I guess the term "does not play well with others" fits.
    The same thing happened the first 3 seasons of Survivor, which I watched. The most experienced people were one of the first 3 people to leave. But can you blame them? You tell them how to get food and safe water, and they don't do it? Maybe disrespecting you, calling you a "know it all", etc. I'd leave too if I tried to help someone and they disrespected me.

It doesn't necessarily mean the experts "dont know how to play well with others". It could mean the experts are not going to waste their energy helping someone who doesn't want to be helped.

Quote Originally Posted by bulrush View Post
    The same thing happened the first 3 seasons of Survivor, which I watched. The most experienced people were one of the first 3 people to leave. But can you blame them? You tell them how to get food and safe water, and they don't do it? Maybe disrespecting you, calling you a "know it all", etc. I'd leave too if I tried to help someone and they disrespected me.

It doesn't necessarily mean the experts "dont know how to play well with others". It could mean the experts are not going to waste their energy helping someone who doesn't want to be helped.
    This is nothing like the CBS show survivor. Nobody gets voted off. There is no prize for finishing other than the personal satisfaction of having accomplished something. This group has come together very well in the way in which they are working. I guess when you take a $$$ prize out of the equation and relate it more to survival, people work together rather than stab each other in the back. Nice to see.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Check Hulu.com. Not only is it free, but it has shows from ALL the networks. May or may not have what you want, depending on the networks contract with hulu as to what content it can mirror. Some shows are on there for good (like, all of the old previous seasons) and some only keep the most recent 5 episodes or so. Some shows only have ~1min clips or so.

I don't watch the show, so I don't know if these are from it or not, didn't look to see if they are full episodes or not either. *shrug*

http://www.hulu.com/videos/search?qu...nded+in+alaska
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

"If we don't make the shelter by nightfall we'll have to make a snow cave or something. But we don't have a shovel."

Dude, man up. You're walking in two inches of snow. Just how much snow do you think it takes to make a CAVE for cryin' out loud?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

and snow caves expend a lot of energy, i would have to be there to realy see what i could use, i often use a fire to heat stones in my shelter entrances. when the stone gets hot it radiates heat for a long time. they dont shelter the way that i would in those cold conditions.and the food would be seed, and root plants and tree or shrub buds,ect..those things are harder to process but are more abundant and offer simular food quality.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Actually, the food was porcupine and ptarmigan.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

how many played the game ? I survied did you?
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

Quote Originally Posted by skunkkiller View Post
    how many played the game ? I survied did you?
    Huh???????????
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I reckon I did. I'm sittin' here typin'.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/alaska/f...er-alaska.html

Holy crap? They are making a show out of that? Nuts, crazy. I did my 12 days near Hope, but it wasn't for a show. What will they think of next?

Quote Originally Posted by vthompson View Post
    I watched the show with great interest, and it just confirmed my opinion about main stream Americans. They don't have a clue. Americans have had it to easy for to long and they don't know how to provide for themselves. I will continue to watch the show just to see reactions from the people.
    [p]After watching the show, I felt better about myself and my abilities, and I was also thankful for forum's such as this one and all of the fine people willing to share and help one another. Thank's guy's.
    These people 'think' they can do it, and are determined. Did you notice, the survivalists left early? I believe they couldn't cope with the rookies. That older woman, the guy from Wisconsin, the police officer? Anyway, getting to know who you're with, abilities, etc is a key component. It's better than survivor tho.....

I would love to be on that show. I'd give the viewers their monies worth.

"Are we there yet? I'm cold. Where's the bridge over the creek? I think I broke a nail. I'm hungry. Does anyone have a candy bar? How much farther? Is there a jacuzzi in the cabin? Can someone carry this pack? It's heavy. yadda, yadda, yadda."

Another episode tonight for anybody interrested.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel