Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stranded in Alaska on Discovery Channel

This is the second season I believe. I seen the first one and it was a joke. One group got severly dehydrated and had to be helped by the filming crew. Entertaining I guess but far from being reality. Just another show trying to glamorize the Great Outdoors with a bunch of people who have no business being out there.

The difference between last year and this is last year were small groups in different locations trying to survive the winter. This year is one group of 9 all working together to move from point A to point B. Same format, more or less, but a good study on what ordinary people do when confronted with problems they are unfamiliar with. In this case, survival.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

So it's kinda like Survivor without all the stupid challenges and drama?

I watched the show with great interest, and it just confirmed my opinion about main stream Americans. They don't have a clue. Americans have had it to easy for to long and they don't know how to provide for themselves. I will continue to watch the show just to see reactions from the people.
    After watching the show, I felt better about myself and my abilities, and I was also thankful for forum's such as this one and all of the fine people willing to share and help one another. Thank's guy's.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
    So it's kinda like Survivor without all the stupid challenges and drama?
    Well, I think it's a little better than that. I watched it last year and enjoyed it very much.

Lot of negative comments about the show, but for me, last year, it was very interesting. Just remember, this is not about survival. This is about entertainment. I'm not sure how well any of us would stack up with a camera crew shooting every move - especially if they get to edit it afterwards and stick in all the "entertaining" bits where you screw up. Leaving out, of course, any bits where you might shine.

On television, if it's done well - you feel exactly what the producer and director want you to feel. In this case it might be something like, "What a bunch of idiots," and "I could have done better."
    Last edited by RBB; 04-15-2009 at 03:49 PM.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I don't know that any of them are old enough to remember El Kabong and Quick Draw.
    but there must be at least one who's wanting to say "Hoooollld on thar, I'll do the thinnin' round here!"
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

There was one gal that was all alone. "I'm saving myself for the common sense. There seems to be a lack of it around here." Paraphrased of course but I got a good chuckle out of her. She's watching these dunderheads and she's just as cold and hungry.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Just watched it not bad. Seen 5-6 mistakes within the first 10 minutes. Kinda funny.

1st mistake- not following the map and going around the mountain.

2nd mistake- not taking boots off before entering water

3rd mistake- not facing upstream towards the current while crossing river

4th mistake- placing boots too close to fire and almost melting them

5th mistake- not sharing the mouse with the whole group

Those are just a few I caught while watching.
    Last edited by doug1980; 04-16-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Yup, Yup, and Yup, i agree with all that's been said. I just couldn't believe that they were all standing around the fire saying how hungry they were. Ummm......get your a$$ out of camp and do something about it!
    Maybe it was just the editing like said above, but come on, set more than two snares maybe, camoflauge yourself a little better when hunting. I enjoyed the show and I definitely feel better about my abilities and acquired skills.

I think that this show is a relatively accurate portrayal of what would happen if you plucked somebody out of their comfortable, cityfied lifestyle and plopped them into the wilds. Some would probably be shocked that they could not hail a cab and go to the nearest Starbucks. But I guess that's why they include the word experiment in the title of the show.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RCKCRWLER View Post
    Yup, Yup, and Yup, i agree with all that's been said. I just couldn't believe that they were all standing around the fire saying how hungry they were. Ummm......get your a$$ out of camp and do something about it!
    Maybe it was just the editing like said above, but come on, set more than two snares maybe, camoflauge yourself a little better when hunting. I enjoyed the show and I definitely feel better about my abilities and acquired skills.
    I can collect pile of food in any season, those hungry boys may not be using things like sumac seed, thistle seed, burdock pods, grass rhyzomes,mealy worms, and the foods of that nature. those things are abundant and everywhere, so many people pass up food like that hoping for that steak<but they never get it.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

does anyone know where one cld get a "how to" on the yukon pack its self? I'm pressently using a 1921 Canadian military pack board, which does work, but am allways curious about other ways to comit portage.
    As to the show, I was screamikng at the idiot "starting" the fire.."use the ******* magnesium you moron!" lol, city folk are cute when you dont have to evac them.

My actual preff is good Ole flint and steel, sparks when wet, and hasnt failed me in over 10 years. The char cloth is easy to produce, and tinder? Do I realy have to answer that? lol
    Last edited by hobowonkanobe; 04-17-2009 at 03:28 AM. Reason: additional matterial

hobowonkanobe, you can portage your way to our Introduction section and tell us a bit about your self.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14

Spoiler Alert in case you haven't seen it yet. Episode 2 proved interesting. The two most experienced people have quit. I guess the term "does not play well with others" fits. The group dynamics are quite interesting to observe. Seems like with the experience gone, and the weakest member gone they are doing a pretty good job relying on each other as a team. Sure parts were humerous, but so far it's interesting.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Dang!! Missed it!!!! Looks like Episode 2 is on again Saturday morning at 11:00 Eastern.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-schedule....25909.33767.1
    Last edited by Rick; 04-22-2009 at 08:32 PM.

It probably varies from area to area, but I'm pretty sure the air it again before the next episode.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yeah I was shocked to see the one guy leave. The old guy needed to quit he was a hinderence. Going to be interesting to see how well they do now.

When they first took the washtub with them, I couldn't believe it. But the police officer used it to trap a groundhog. I didn't notice if they took it on to their third destination. It seemed their lucked changed with their hunting, and that lawyer from Chicago seems to be a decent cook.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

You ever wonder how much of those shows are faked for the ratings? Like the producers sit them all down and go

"Hokay, for the first two episodes, you and you act like you know what you are doing. We are giving you a $10,000 bonus and then cutting you because you are bad for ratings. The rest you act like the biggest pack of tools you've ever seen, and we'll slowly progress you into something that resembles and 16 year old for maturity and skill level."
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i kind of like those shows. i think some of em, want the camera time and not so much survival.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis