Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you store your fishes?

Default How do you store your fishes?

Hi, I'm new to this forum and also new to wilderness survival and all related.
    I wanna know whats the usual/best way to store caught fishes in order to not let them go bad, and also portable.

As in the wilderness? If you're going to be in one spot for a few days then smoking them is probably the best way to preserve them. Lot's of different ways to do that. Open frame work, tipi type enclosure. You can also dry them in the sun by hanging them on a rack.

Both methods have been used for eons. Personally, I'd prefer smoking them.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

And there are right ways and wrong ways of doing it ..........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Several methods of preserving fish without refridgeration are available. Smoking, as Rick said is probably the most common - especially if you are out in the wilderness without a lot of supplies. I used to listen to stories my grandfather would tell (he was a fishing captain of several three masted schooners) about salting fish to preserve them. He took me out on one of the boats (a bit more modern in the 60's as they had engines in them now and did not rely soley on sail power) and they still preserved their catch with salt.

When you get a chance, and before you spoil - head on over to the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Hmmm, I see. What about insulating packs/containers? Will they work? What about keeping them in zip lock bags?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
    Hi, I'm new to this forum and also new to wilderness survival and all related.
    I wanna know whats the usual/best way to store caught fishes in order to not let them go bad, and also portable.
    If you are just storing them until you get home, there are certain types of thick sphagnum moss that you can wrap your fish in. If you keep the moss wet, your fish will stay relatively fresh for three days.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

Depends how many fish you're talking about here. Cooking and consuming them is one good way to make them transportable.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Okay, what are you wanting to do with them? Are you just carting them home or do you plan to do something with them while you are out?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Some for eating while I'm still out, the leftovers I'll bring it home.

Are we talking just out for the day?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

If you are only talking a few days, I only catch what I'll eat for that day.

Whenever we go fishing, we only keep what we think that we will eat for that day.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

If you have an ice chest or ice cooler, you can throw the fish in that on top the ice. They will stop wiggling and appear to be dead. But if you toss them in some tepid water when you get home, presto!, live fish again.

Gotta say, when I first read the thread title I thought it may be along the lines of.....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

It's fish, not fishes. No such thing as fishes.

As far as how would I store my fish? If I have more than I can eat, I would cook them or smoke them to get out the moisture and wrap up for later.

It fish unless you've watched too many episodes of the Sopranos, and then it's fishes - as in sleeping with the fishes...
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The guy's from Singapore. It's fishes if he wants it to be fishes. Go feed your gooses.

Most of the best shore fishing we do is about a mile (or more) from where we park the car. No carrying a cooler that far. But you can get a beach hauler knapsack that is fairly watertight to carry a couple 5lb bags of ice and your bait. On the beach you keep the bag covered with wet seaweed the ice will last for many hours.

Bait weight is a self correcting problem, to be replaced by the weight of your catch. And you dump the water off the ice before returning.

If the blues are biting, we smack em and bleed em and fillet them into ziplocs right on the beach then put them inside a trashbag to sit in the ice with the bait. You don't want to be using just trash bags to hold your catch. Some are made from bad plastic, others are 'odor control' treated.

You can also keep your fish on a stringer in the water until time to leave. (But not bluefish!)
    The water is generally cooler than the shore.

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    It's fish, not fishes. No such thing as fishes.
    Not according to the dictionary. Fishes is an acceptable plural form.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fishes
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

....and as long as the dictionary keeps on paying its protection money, it will continue to be acceptable.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel