Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: could you live efficiently.. hunting with a..

Just be very, very careful who you go picking on.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Never bring a Katana to a pellet gun fight.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

mabe he studied under jet lee, crash
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

open mouth insert high rise.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Seems you could have a neighborhood chicken bbq if you were to put out some live traps. Then no worries about snaring the wrong critter. No worries about the local leo getting uptight over shooting firearms in the area either.
    Turtle Clan / Coffee Addicts Anonymous

...or invite them in. Afterall, range time is somtimes difficult to get.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks guys. For the advice and the humor.

@LaughingBeetle: Wish I had, or knew someone who had, live traps. Only ones I know around here have live traps are hog traps, and uh, that's a little much.

Hopefully I'll be able to get more than one per spot anyway, but it's not like they go THAT far. I should be able to plink the whole flock by mid-morning if I get started at day break. I've stalked them a couple times before just to guage their reactions. Never had to deal with feral lunch before, only domestic egg layers. This should be fun. Will let you know how it goes. Wonder if they'll react differently when I have a rifle in hand...
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

AP,I would think that catching a feral chicken would be about the same as catching a domestic chicken,wait until it is dark,and then nab them where they roost,once they have set to roost,they usually do not go very far in the dark,as they have poor night vision.

My chickens are free range,they go to the barn to sleep at night,on their own,when I need to catch them,I simple wait until dark,and pick them up off their roosting spot.

Maybe help you a little if someone would feed them in an area close to where they roost at night,then they would be used to a human coming close,and may even come running when the food is tossed down for them,once they know where that food is coming from,just a thought.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    AP,I would think that catching a feral chicken would be about the same as catching a domestic chicken,wait until it is dark,and then nab them where they roost,once they have set to roost,they usually do not go very far in the dark,as they have poor night vision.

My chickens are free range,they go to the barn to sleep at night,on their own,when I need to catch them,I simple wait until dark,and pick them up off their roosting spot.

Maybe help you a little if someone would feed them in an area close to where they roost at night,then they would be used to a human coming close,and may even come running when the food is tossed down for them,once they know where that food is coming from,just a thought.
    hmmm....Going to have to try that. Grabbing one and wringing it's neck would be the easiest way I guess...best way to conserve ammo anyway. Sounds like a good way to get ****ed up too, though. I can hear the comments now if I show up Tues. with no pictures of dead chickens and a ****load of beak and claw marks. You guys would laugh yourselves silly.

What the hell. I like adventures...

I wish someone would bait them for a couple days before I get there, but they already complain about not being able to get rid of them (my wife puts the dog on a lead and lets him take off, but with 115lbs of dead weight at the other end of a 6ft lead, Kashi is rather hindered in his attempt at dragging her through the east Texas brambles and poison ivy to get to them. And she can only do it when the kids aren't around.

Oh well, we'll see how it goes. If nothing else I'm thinking I can go grab a bag of feed and and just bait them myself when I get there. Most of the chickens I've dealt with are stupid enough to come back to the same spot, but if not, there are several places where I can ambush them if not using something like a .22lr where I needed a backstop.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Another thing,take a fishing net (as in large dip net)with you,much easier to catch them with a net if they do try to get away,and also,if they are roosting higher up,you can just reach up with the net without having to get close enough for them to take off if they become so inclined,just went and cought a pair of peacocks,just before dusk,and the nets made it sooooo much easier.....
    Last edited by nell67; 04-22-2009 at 02:46 PM.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)