Thread: Driving from Anchorage, AK to Denver, CO?

Default Driving from Anchorage, AK to Denver, CO?

Next weekend I will be flying up to Anchorage to help my son move to Denver? He is being relocated for his job. Pulling a u-Haul trailer with his Jeep.

We plan on leaving Anchorage Sat/Sun or Mon... we have to be in Denver the following Sunday afternoon so I can catch my flight back to Missouri. We're not too sure which route to take. Leaning towards a route to take us through Seattle & then down to Portland, Oregon (to see some of the Pacific NW) & follow the Columbia River Gorge, then over through Salt Lake and into Denver. This route would take us on the Cassier Hwy vs. the Alaska Hwy.

Another route we're considering would take us down the Alaska Hwy all the way into Great Falls, Montana and then down through Yellow Stone and into Denver.

We'd like to take the week to see as much as possible since this is usually a once-in-a-life-time trip but being that it is still "winter" most of the way we'd also like to arrive in Denver safely.

Any suggestions on which route & what to see?
    KJ

Which ever way you decide to go, stay safe and have fun.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I can't help with the route, but these sites have good real time info for:
    Oregon http://www.tripcheck.com
    Washington http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/
    and Idaho http://511.idaho.gov/
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

Colorado Springs, CO wildography's Avatar
    Colorado Springs, CO; I've lived in 9 states, traveled through 32 others

This time of year, I would check the weather. Getting to Denver from Grand Junction, CO - or by going South through Wyoming - is going to take you through areas that experience a lot of snow at this time of year.

It just kind of depends on which area has the greatest snow threat.

Were it me... with similar road conditions in both areas; I'd take the Montana route. I've never been through Montana myself... but I really liked the ride through central Wyoming... and Yellowstone, of course, is awesome.

The interstate route between SLC and Laramie, WY is kind of boring... except for some really pretty areas in SW Wyoming - right around the border.

Its kind of "six of one, half a dozen of the other", so... its a toss-up. But yeah, I'd go through Yellowstone... lots of pretty country, either way you go... except for SLC... I never did like the salt flats.
    all men die; few truly live