Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing Gasoline

Default Storing Gasoline

Since I've gotten the generator I guess I need some way to store gas. I can only store 20 gallons but that should give me close to 40 hours continuous run time. I like the idea of the Blitz Jerry Can. So far, this is the cheapest site I've found.

http://www.reliablepaper.com/Product...1010&Click=671

I live in a sub division so I don't have the option of a 500 gallon tank or anything like that. Anyone have any other ideas before I take the leap and order 4 of these guys?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Thanks, Rick. That's the best price I've seen yet for that type of jerry can.

There are a number of additives that will help keep gas "fresh" for up to two years. Here's one of several:

http://www.boatbandit.com/starbrite-...tive-4812.aspx

Here are some tips for long term storage:

http://www.alpharubicon.com/altenergy/gasstoretg.htm
    Last edited by Ken; 04-12-2009 at 06:57 PM.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

If you've got any boat sales type places near by (or Craigs List) you can often find these at a reasonable price. This one is 14 gallons, but they come in several sizes. I used to have a 28 gallon gas caddy. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...502&hasJS=true
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Have you thought about a plastic 55 gallon drum? I get mine from the local farmers co-op. I give them what their deposit on it would be. They get them in filled with methanol for mixing with water to fill tractor tires. Doesn't freeze when mixed right. Anyway that's my place for finding them. It's also where i get methanol for anything that burns alcohol. (Just don't tell my secret.) The ones I get are blue and made for volitile chemicals. Any place that fixes tractor tires should have em.
    Well why not?

I'm just afraid of the plastic. Not only do they produce static but they can be punctured much easier than the metal cans.

I plan on dumping Sta-bil in it. I doubt I'll cycle through the much gas in one summer. Actually 25 gallons because I already have a 5 gallon can I use for the mower, etc. I'll store the four 5 gallon containers. I didn't think about the 5% head space so I appreciate that link!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Colorado Springs, CO wildography's Avatar
    Colorado Springs, CO; I've lived in 9 states, traveled through 32 others

If you have any friends that own a ranch, farm, trucking business, etc, they may have access to gasoline storage, and the capability to store it for you. Of course, you want to make sure that its secured... you don't want to pay for gas and find out that its not there when you need it.
    all men die; few truly live

I don't want to have to try and make tracks to some place else when the power goes out or really severe weather hits. I just want to fire up the generator and put some AC back in the house. On site storage is about the only thing I can do and I'm limited from a safety perspective and maybe from a zoning perspective for all I know. (No, I don't care to look it up. Then I'd know and couldn't do it. This way I just claim to be stupid, which should be pretty believable.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I don't want to have to try and make tracks to some place else when the power goes out or really severe weather hits. I just want to fire up the generator and put some AC back in the house. On site storage is about the only thing I can do and I'm limited from a safety perspective and maybe from a zoning perspective for all I know. (No, I don't care to look it up. Then I'd know and couldn't do it. This way I just claim to be stupid, which should be pretty believable.)
    I've been considering a couple of those metal blitz cans myself. I use the plastic ones for water as a throwback habit from the military. They are great...rigid, relatively secure, etc. etc. I have an SUV, and those little reciever hitch style cargo carriers can be bought that are made to hold those. You can stack 4 or 5 in the carrier. Not that I'm all that keen on storing water and fuel next to each other, but in a BOB scenario, if you are not already carrying a trailer, it may be something you want to consider.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Try to keep your vehicles full. That's about 40 gal that can be recovered by a good ole WV Credit Card (4' hose) or open the tank drain. In an emergency like the past winter comes in handy to remember.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

That's something I do all the time. Both vehicles are filled at the half way mark.

Definetly agree with keeping the vehicles full. Even those in my collection that aren't driveable have enough fuel in them to keep things going awhile. STA-BIL is the key. There's a small engine shop just down the street. If you bring them something that won't start, the first thing they do is ad STA BIL and try to crank it. Works about 90% of the time they tell me.
    Old fuel, add STA BIL and perhaps an octane booster to freshen it up a bit....
    You are your dog's best friend....

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

make sure that you use the fuel preservative, over time the gas can turn rancid losing its octane. any auto part store has in thier additives isle
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

i've said it before and will say it again, propane folk, propane, what part of propane do you not get, propane..any misunderstanding about what(propane)i am refering to(propane)
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Well just trot you big tall self down here to Indiana and convert this gasoline generator over to propane for me. Otherwise, I don't think the blamed thing is gonna run very well on it. Bring along a propane diffuser, a Garretson regulator and spare gas shut off will ya 'cause I don't have any laying around that are right handy.

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

my mom taught me not to use propanity in public
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Well just trot you big tall self down here to Indiana and convert this gasoline generator over to propane for me. Otherwise, I don't think the blamed thing is gonna run very well on it. Bring along a propane diffuser, a Garretson regulator and spare gas shut off will ya 'cause I don't have any laying around that are right handy.
    hey not my fault you did not listen to me before, i have always said propane is better, can run your genny and bbq and trailer and what ever you need and has long term storage.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by erunkiswldrnssurvival View Post
    i,m an orphan, i never got those lessons

Quote Originally Posted by erunkiswldrnssurvival View Post
    Now that there's funny.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

For gas that is for storing beyond a few weeks, try and get straight gas, with no ethanol. The ethanol collects water. There are a couple of gas stations near me that still sell it, but be sure to ask if the gas contains ethanol to be sure. It is no longer required that stations have to post if up to 10% ethanol is added. Ethanol is also bad on some types of storage tanks, the older fiberglass tanks will break down ( I found that out the hard way on my boat gas tank, had to replace it 3 years ago, and some expensive engine work to go with it).

Pressure in the storage tanks caused from being in the sunshine will cause problems with condensation/water. Water will create many problems. It's a good idea to look at what is in the bottom of the storage tank at times by using sunlight or flashlight to see if water is on the bottom. Best not to use the bottom and instead put what is in the bottom in quart jars and wait for it to settle. Then just pour off the good stuff. I have heard the same problems concerning Ethanol that RunsWithDeer has heard about. A friend who rents boat motors has had repair problems with new boat motors. His mechanic has told him that it was due to Ethanol eating gaskets. I'm not a mechanic, but the problems with ethanol I have heard about from different people. Condensation, however, I have seen often.
    Old gasoline seems to be a bigger problem than it used to be in years past. Part of this may be due to the gasoline of today and part may be due to the high tech engines of the chain saws and boat motors. Again, I am only a backyard mechanic, but, I know that my Jonsered chainsaw is particular about what gasoline and oil goes into it. Others with older Homelite chainsaws don't seem to have the same problems.