Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Captain Underhill Rescued

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    I am relieved though that you would give them a fair trial BEFORE they were hanged
    Let's face it, Pal, no matter how good the lawyers may be, some cases are 100% slam dunk.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    My goodness!!! Such an unfriendly approach, these poor misguided souls are just trying to make a living. If this approach were adopted, they would be forced to join the civilized world, or only prey on the Saudis (they pay alot and quickly)
    Friday - I think it was - I was watching the news of this on one of the cable channels. It seems that political correctness is once again (still) running wild in our news organizations. Do they refer to these "pirates" by what they really are? Of course not. They are IMO nothing more than Islamic Terrorists. Now this cable outlet had a guest on that called what they were doing similar to a large corporation, and that they had a "good business model". Once the world faces problems like this and stops trying to sugar coat it in order to not upset anybody, then problems like this can and will be solved in rather short order.

....and yes Pal - I know you were kidding.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I say let the good captain tether him behind his vessel and sail for home.
    Well why not?

Ken: pleased to hear that from a lawyer, restores (at least partially my faith in the species ).

Crash: they are poster children for retro active birth control. Not totaly disagreeing with you, but I think they are more money oriented as in common (or not so common) thiefs. I also was equated some sort of political agenda with terrorists. Maybe the "d***a*s media folks ought to get their hands dirty before they puke the Political Correct line to the audience. As long as they are dispatched to meet their virgins in the after life, I am ok with it
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Pal - I don't disagree with you. We should also look at where the money goes and what it is funding. Just a hunch, but I don't think the "pirates" are living high on the hog. I believe this is just one arm of a larger terrorist network and the money goes to funding it. Maybe they were accurate on the "business model" comment.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I've been reading quite a bit on this. They actually are living high on the hog. They've been so successful in their ransom demands that they've been able to convert the money into much larger, high speed, ocean going craft as well as some pretty high tec arms (despite the rusty weapons photos the press are given). They have SAT communication, GPS gear and, despite a military blockade on Somalia, some high tec weaponry. Some of the pirates that spent their lives eeking a living fishing now make 6 figure incomes, have lavish homes with expensive cars and throw lavish wedding parties. What incentive do they have NOT to be pirates? It really is a good business model and who ever cooked up the idea gets an A for thinking out of the box. If we lived in their world we'd probably all be lined up to be pirates. The bounty has the same allure today that it did for Blackbeard and the rest of the Carribbean pirates in days gone by.

What should we do with them? Hunt them down and set stearn examples, of course. It isn't a civilized business in a civilized world. You know the old commercial:

This is your pirate. This is your pirate on .50 caliber sniper rounds.

Kind of a thing.

Now, someone tell me how snipers (plural here folks) on the fantail of a bobbing ship manage to take out three of these dingleberries at once? That's the report anyway. My hat is off to our snipers but, wholly cow, on the back of a bobbing ship?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I used to shot running Jackrabbits out of the back of a pickup truck doing 40 miles an hr. in a field . The rabbits were out there too 100 to 200 yards.. But that is still some great shooting
    Do it with what you got and you want need what you don't have

Smok - If I were to try shooting those jackrabbits under those conditions you'd have to give me an M203 and plenty of 40 mm grenades.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rick you should have been with us back then . We had more fun and there was 4 or 5 of us that were out aver weekend hunting like that . sometimes we would go out to Nevada shag brush . it was fun when you saw a rabbit you had to get on them and that driver had to be good . all the rabbits we sold as bait to trappers. To bad kids now a days can't do it..We were shooting AR15 in the .223 and one shoot gun the rule was the man with the .223 got first shoot and most times the second shot too but after that the shoot gunner got in to it , but the shoot gunner also had the light so he did not have an easy time of it ...lol what great fun
    Last edited by Smok; 04-13-2009 at 02:22 AM.
    Do it with what you got and you want need what you don't have

Portion of the Defense Budget Well spent:

Hostage Captain Was in 'Imminent Danger' at Time of Rescue
    By John J. Kruzel
    American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, April 12, 2009 - The captain of the Maersk-Alabama cargo ship held hostage by pirates off the coast of Somalia was in "imminent danger" when U.S. military snipers shot and killed his three pirate captors, a U.S. Navy commander said today.

Navy Vice Adm. William E. Gortney, commander of U.S. Naval Forces Central Command, provided preliminary details of the rescue mission that freed Capt. Richard Phillips today during a news conference.

Off the Somali coast, U.S. special operations snipers held positions at the rear of the USS Bainbridge, which was towing an 18-foot lifeboat that held Phillips and three pirates some 25-30 meters away.

"The snipers positioned on the fantail of the Bainbridge observed one of the pirates in the pilot house -- and two pirates with their head and shoulders exposed -- and one of the pirates had the AK47 (assault rifle) leveled at the captain's back," Gortney said.

Gortney said the White House had given military operators "very clear guidance and authority" if Phillips' life was in danger.

"The on-scene commander took it as the captain was in imminent danger and then made that decision (to shoot), and he had the authorities to make that decision, and he had seconds to make that decision," he said.

On the marksmanship of the snipers Gortney said, "We pay a lot for their training and we got a good return on our investment."

Naval forces rescued Phillips on a rigid-inflatable boat and transferred him to the USS Bainbridge before being flown to the amphibious assault ship USS Boxer, where he contacted his family, received a routine medical evaluation, and is resting comfortably, ccording to a U.S. Navy statement.

Gortney said Phillips was in good health and suffered no apparent injuries, despite being "tied up inside the lifeboat" for at least part of his five days as a hostage. He noted that a fourth pirate surrendered and is being held in U.S. forces' custody.

The admiral praised the military servicemembers involved in the rescue.

"I could not be more proud to represent all the men and women in uniform who worked tirelessly to make this rescue possible," he said.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Now, someone tell me how snipers (plural here folks) on the fantail of a bobbing ship manage to take out three of these dingleberries at once? That's the report anyway. My hat is off to our snipers but, wholly cow, on the back of a bobbing ship?
    What's even more impressive is to watch a synchronized attack where 5 Operators wearing rebreathers emerge from the water, all simultaneously shoot, slip back into the water - all of this in about a 3 second span - and all five hit their targets.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    What's even more impressive is to watch a synchronized attack where 5 Operators wearing rebreathers emerge from the water, all simultaneously shoot, slip back into the water - all of this in about a 3 second span - and all five hit their targets.
    Up close and personal, huh?
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

The terrorist that lived was actually on the Navy ship. He had asked to come onboard to make a phone call. (by the way, he is a teenager 14 to 16 years old). He was waving to his "buddies" as this all went down. I guess that in pirate school they didn't go into tactics too much. Seems as thought the "pirate" vessel was drifting toward shore. The Navy contacted the crew and informed them that intelligence revealed that if they made shore, they would all be killed. They agreed to have the Navy send a small boat, attach a line and tow it further away from the shore line. It always helps if you can lure your target in a bit closer. Kind of like using a turkey call I guess.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    I say give him a fair trial under maritime law. Then hang him by his neck until he's dead. Do it on the deck of the USS Boxer with full worldwide media coverage. Post the video on youtube.

After the hanging, announce to the world that U.S. flagged vessels will assert the right of way on all waters in the region. Announce that effective immediately, there is a two mile restricted zone around every U.S. flagged vessel in the region, and that any boat entering that zone will be destroyed. Then, arm U.S. flagged vessels to the teeth and allow them to defend themselves accordingly.

Finally, hunt down all suspected pirate vessels in the region. Board every suspicious ship or boat, and if ANY evidence of piracy is discovered, remove the crew and scuttle the ship or boat without further delay.

If any vessel fires upon or threatens a U.S. ship - SINK THE DAMN THING. PERIOD.
    What he said!

Colorado Springs, CO wildography's Avatar
    Colorado Springs, CO; I've lived in 9 states, traveled through 32 others

One thing good about a bullet in the head is that it saves money in court-room trials; hopefully, the same sort of justice will be used in other piracy attempts. So often these days, it seems like the law-enforcement/political types want to use negotiation to minimize loss of life. That indeed does has its place... but I wouldn't mind seeing a stricter hard-line being taken in certain instances. The threat of a bullet in the head is a far more fearsome deterrent than 3 meals a day and a place to sleep - all at taxpayer expense.
    all men die; few truly live

Blog Entries

Hmmm. Let's see.

The term "any person" would include the three dead pirates, right?

The press is reporting that the fourth pirate, the one now in custody, is only subject to life imprisonment. I disagree. I believe that he is subject to the death penalty. If I am correct, I feel that the death penalty should be imposed.

United States Code
    TITLE 18 - PART I - CHAPTER 111 - § 2280

§ 2280. Violence against maritime navigation
    (a) Offenses.—

(1) In general.— A person who unlawfully and intentionally—

(A) seizes or exercises control over a ship by force or threat thereof or any other form of intimidation;

(B) performs an act of violence against a person on board a ship if that act is likely to endanger the safe navigation of that ship;

(C) destroys a ship or causes damage to a ship or to its cargo which is likely to endanger the safe navigation of that ship;

(D) places or causes to be placed on a ship, by any means whatsoever, a device or substance which is likely to destroy that ship, or cause damage to that ship or its cargo which endangers or is likely to endanger the safe navigation of that ship;

(E) destroys or seriously damages maritime navigational facilities or seriously interferes with their operation, if such act is likely to endanger the safe navigation of a ship;

(F) communicates information, knowing the information to be false and under circumstances in which such information may reasonably be believed, thereby endangering the safe navigation of a ship;

(G) injures or kills any person in connection with the commission or the attempted commission of any of the offenses set forth in subparagraphs (A) through (F); or

(H) attempts or conspires to do any act prohibited under subparagraphs (A) through (G), shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both; and if the death of any person results from conduct prohibited by this paragraph, shall be punished by death or imprisoned for any term of years or for life.

(2) Threat to navigation.— A person who threatens to do any act prohibited under paragraph (1)(B), (C) or (E), with apparent determination and will to carry the threat into execution, if the threatened act is likely to endanger the safe navigation of the ship in question, shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.

(b) Jurisdiction.— There is jurisdiction over the activity prohibited in subsection (a)—

(1) in the case of a covered ship, if—

(A) such activity is committed—
    (i) against or on board a ship flying the flag of the United States at the time the prohibited activity is committed;

(ii) in the United States; or

(iii) by a national of the United States or by a stateless person whose habitual residence is in the United States;

(B) during the commission of such activity, a national of the United States is seized, threatened, injured or killed; or

(C) the offender is later found in the United States after such activity is committed;

(2) in the case of a ship navigating or scheduled to navigate solely within the territorial sea or internal waters of a country other than the United States, if the offender is later found in the United States after such activity is committed; and

(3) in the case of any vessel, if such activity is committed in an attempt to compel the United States to do or abstain from doing any act.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

A couple of terrorists are now saying if any US or French sailors are on board any future ships they take over they will kill them in retribution. Maybe a couple of old fashioned German raiders need to patrol the water for awhile. Then we'll see how quickly they want to take over ships.

I'm sure when they see those ack ack guns trained down on them they'd have a change of heart pretty quickly.

"Attack! Attack! Attack! Retreat! Retreat! Retreat!

"Dang it, Smithers! I said fire ACROSS THEIR BOW. Not directly at them."

"Sorry sir, Should we pick up the debris in the ocean?"

"No. Never mind."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Maybe a couple of old fashioned German raiders need to patrol the water for awhile.
    How about a few of these?

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...s/ship/lcs.htm

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/littoral/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhfzyTiDA2Y
    Last edited by Ken; 04-13-2009 at 11:51 AM.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by remy View Post
    I have a question though...

What were those guys doing in those waters ?
    The pirate thing is nothing new...and maybe there is a perfectly logical explanation for them to be off of the coast of Somalia...i just don't know and don't have time to do the research.

Maybe some of you can explain to me what we are doing in those waters. What was that cargo ship carrying...point of origin and destination ?
    The ship was carrying humanitarian cargo - food - to Somalia.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

The old German raiders were mere merchant ships..on first inspection. They would drop concealed doors or toss back canvas covering to reveal hidden guns. The "mere" merchant ship was a well armed combat vessel disguised as a lumbering transport ship and were responsible for a lot of lost tonnage.

Something like that ought to be responsible for a lot of lost pirates.

Although a terrible picture, this is one of the forward guns of the German Raider Moewe

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Last edited by Rick; 04-13-2009 at 12:20 PM.