Thread: well made shelters

Default well made shelters

Went for a walk with the kids, to check on the condition of some shelters we had built 3 years ago. These shelters were all in different areas of the mountains they seem to have fared quite well little work would make them right again for use:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    sh4d0wm4573ri7

i would say they are very well made shelters if they are in that good of condition after three years! they look like they would do a good job of protecting you from the elements. good job!
    how dare i call this love and not bare my cross

Bear Clan

Nice job. I wonder how many people over the years have used the shelters you built. Kind of nice to know that your (and your kids) handy work may have helped others along the way.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

One problem Ive found with letting the ribs stick up or being connected to a tree is when it rains the water seems to find its way inside. I think having the debris piled higher than all the ribs makes for a drier rest if its raining. I learned this one the hard way, luckily it wasent freezing out. Having limbs piled over the debris to keep it from blowing off is important and doesnt contribute to the water dripping in.

Hi ... wow ... how great is that ... ))smiles

And still - what kind of footprint does it leave in the bush? [Question, just came to me?] <<< not looking for an answer noir to stir anything up ... as I'm asking myself how I think/feel about leaving such survival shelters in the bush ...

Here's to a great time in the outdoors ...
    Dr WELLth
    Educator: Surviving-the-Wilderness Program
    Where you learn:
    Prevention is Queen,
    Preparation is King

I have to tell you, I didn't post because I was thinking the same thing. You did a great job and I'll bet you had a grand time with the boys. But whenever I build anything like that I try to put it back to nature when I'm done. It doesn't take the forest long to break down leave and limbs on the ground and it's great for the soil. But, as your experience shows, it can last a long time when we leave it in place. Even stacking firewood at a campsite for the next person is frowned upon today because it takes away from the natural beauty of the area.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Well, that is back in the nature.. It is made out of wood and leaves, which means they are going to decay in some timeline, but certainly within next ten years. It being there isn't interfearing with nature or anything like that. It just is there. That is one odd design for a shelter IMO... Never seen anyone do it like that...
    Survival is not about surviving AGAINST the nature. It's about surviving WITH the nature.

You can't go in to nature, nature is not a place or an object. Nature just is. You are living it.

I'd certainly check for critters before crawling in there. Those look like a good place for snakes, bees, and other unwanted animals.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Imagine crawling in for a good nights sleep only to wake up in the morning to find there is a live wasp nest inches from your head!
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

I think you guys did a nice job. I would like to have seen them after you finished. I'll bet they were dandy. Despite my remark about returning to nature I still appreciate the work you put into them and, as I said, I'll bet you and the boys had a great time. That's what it's all about.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Question It takes away from the natural beauty of the area. . .

Rick wrote: ". . .whenever I build anything like that I try to put it back to nature when I'm done. It doesn't take the forest long to break down leave and limbs on the ground and it's great for the soil. But, as your experience shows, it can last a long time when we leave it in place. Even stacking firewood at a campsite for the next person is frowned upon today because it takes away from the natural beauty of the area."
    I understand what you are saying Rick, but playing devil's advocate, what would you rather have in an emergency survival situation:

1.) Beautiful surroundings and you have to build a shelter?

2.) A ready made shelter w/firewood ready to go?

My guess is that with #2 you'd still have beautiful surroundings even with the shelter erected and firewood stacked?!
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Nice job man.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

I think most people here know I belong to, and practice "LEAVE NO TRACE". But if the man made shelter is way back in the woods, I think it's better to leave it there. You may save someones life. JMHO
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
    I think most people here know I belong to, and practice "LEAVE NO TRACE". But if the man made shelter is way back in the woods, I think it's better to leave it there. You may save someones life. JMHO
    i agree. i think i remember seeing a post or thread about little cabins/shelters that were made on remote trails just for that reason... to help or even save a life.
    how dare i call this love and not bare my cross

Bear Clan

I to believe in leave no trace, and on many occasions end up packing out others refuse along with my own. These shelters were built with the intention of returning to use them they are in the back country on land we hunt and fish (not public land). Due to circumstances beyond my control I have not been able to return until now. The shelter with the rock reflector was used as a deer camp for 2 weeks with the thought of reuse every year, the A frame was a camp out shelter used as a base for exploration,scouting lived there for a week. And the tepee looking shelter is located around the halfway point of a favorite trout stream about 100 yds away from the actual stream. To be used if we fished to long and ended up spending the night on the mountain. As far as finding critters in them well i do not believe one can build any type of shelter that sooner or later one would not find something has moved in lol. I am a tarp guru and have been for about 6 years now preferring the tarp to any kind of shelter. After a long hike up the mountain and a day spent wading mountain streams for trout or hunting they are a very welcome sight to my eyes. They will be repaired and reused but I for one now always carry a tarp and would not build another unless was absolutely necessary. Just my 2 cents
    sh4d0wm4573ri7

You 2 cents is good money as is the argument some of the others left on saving a life.

Leaving them in place only makes sense if you intend to reuse them and has far less impact on the area than rebuilding every year. Once you get them rebuilt, post some pics for the rest of us to enjoy. It looks like a great area.