Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got Sent to My Room

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Angry Got Sent to My Room

I was determined to watch 20/20 on ABC tonight knowing in advance it would be strictly about gun control & confiscation. Took less than 5min until the wife sent me upstairs to watch it. I have seen many anti gun programs but this one went way overboard. I must be getting old because this was not even the supposed "balanced" garbage but strictly anti-firearm using the Pres' picture with a kid wanting all guns junked. Anyone else see this? If you did, got any doubts now how things are gonna go soon? I could have put my foot in the TV if it would bring down my blood pressure.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    I was determined to watch 20/20 on ABC tonight knowing in advance it would be strictly about gun control & confiscation. Took less than 5min until the wife sent me upstairs to watch it. I have seen many anti gun programs but this one went way overboard. I must be getting old because this was not even the supposed "balanced" garbage but strictly anti-firearm using the Pres' picture with a kid wanting all guns junked. Anyone else see this? If you did, got any doubts now how things are gonna go soon? I could have put my foot in the TV if it would bring down my blood pressure.
    I was too busy loading a trailer to watch it, but I saw one of the headlines on ABC mobile today. Hit the website to verify it, and sure 'nuff, the entire front page is plastered with anti-gun crap. Nice to know I didn't waste my time.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

I would not watch it . I though that was what it would but like
    Do it with what you got and you want need what you don't have

I couldn't bring myslef to watch it. Knew it would all be about the negative aspects of gun ownership. I wish just once they would look at the stats about how many lives are saved because civilians had a gun. Be nice to see the other side of the coin now and then.
    Last edited by doug1980; 04-11-2009 at 02:44 PM.

We've been through this so many times. The bright news in all of this is the recent ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court reaffirming the intent of the 2nd Amendment. That hasn't been done in recent history and will make any move to further restrict rights that much more difficult. It's doesn't mean we can rest on our laurels. We still have to reinforce with legislators our desire to oppose additional restrictions and/or laws. The pen and the vote are two of our strongest weapons in this regard.

If it's any consolation, here is a comment that was posted on ABC's web site concerning the show.

"Greengrass, keep up the good fight. Let me leave you with a quote from Voltaire: "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." In my case, I'll be defending it with a gun, but I support your freedom to choose another way."

I echo those thoughts.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Coot - thank you for placing yourself in harms way to watch. I fear that unless we, and other gun owners remain acitve and continue to voice ourselves, the Supreme Court ruling will be tested with legislation that further restricts our rights.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

you must admit the part with the classroom scenarios was true to fact. it always amazes me how many who have only ever drawn their weapon at the range often proclaim that"if i was there it would have not happened" ha i defy those folks who have never been in that situation to go thru what those few did in that classroom. true fact most gunighters lived after emptying their revlovers at each other and missing from less than ten feet away, why do you think cops and SOG and others train in realistic realtime scenarios, to overcome the tunnel vision and body's auto response to that enviroment.
    what i say to most folks who think that if they carry in school that they would avert the situation-thanks for making it worse cuz after you are put down the gunman will just use your gun to continue on his rampage.
    do not take this as anti gun, i always went armed in the states most often my weapon was visible and more of a deterrent than a self defense option, in canada most of the bad guys are armed, i would like to even the playing feild.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

How many generations have "they" had to brainwash? Older folks understood this issue better.

I always get a charge out of my father-in-law. Doesn't own a gun. Has never hunted. Hasn't owned a gun since before WWII when he had a single shot .22. Pays his dues - member of the NRA.

I've asked him about this a few times. He says it is his right, as an American, to own a gun. If he doesn't choose to - that's his business - but he's not about to let anyone take away his rights.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

Default Personal Opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    We've been through this so many times. The bright news in all of this is the recent ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court reaffirming the intent of the 2nd Amendment. That hasn't been done in recent history and will make any move to further restrict rights that much more difficult. It's doesn't mean we can rest on our laurels. We still have to reinforce with legislators our desire to oppose additional restrictions and/or laws. The pen and the vote are two of our strongest weapons in this regard.

If it's any consolation, here is a comment that was posted on ABC's web site concerning the show.

"Greengrass, keep up the good fight. Let me leave you with a quote from Voltaire: "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." In my case, I'll be defending it with a gun, but I support your freedom to choose another way."

I echo those thoughts.
    Rick
    I agree and support the first amendment also, same for the second and the others. This program was different. It came across to me as either a repeal of the 2nd amendment or allowing judges to make laws instead of interpreting them. A push that is not in our Constitution. I also know this is a topic that has been beaten to death. Apathy is rampant and besides myself I don't know anyone that writes or calls their elected officials, sad. I wanted to bring this attitude to everyone that things are changing. If I can get one person to call or write their elected representatives the space I "wasted" was worth it in my opinion. This isn't just guns, no respect for the country, it's constitution, religions or lack thereof, in general our way of life. My grandchildren will, I fear never know the freedom I grew up with. We know what opinions are like and I respect a person that will stand behind theirs as I stand behind mine. OK, I'm old-fashioned but I must say this is only my opinion and others may see it differently.

Colorado Springs, CO wildography's Avatar
    Colorado Springs, CO; I've lived in 9 states, traveled through 32 others

the whole gun control/anti-2nd ammendment campaigne is designed around "incremental regulation".

the anti-gun crowd tries to advance their agenda a little at a time on a wide-spread campaign. They will focus on one city, or one shooting, or one bill... see how much they can get away with; retreat and try another front; advance a group effort on the national front, etc... The 2nd amendment gets chipped away a little bit at a time...

Its like any attack on freedom... constant, due vigilence is necessary... because "the enemy" never sleeps... its like a dang virus or a "sapper"... always probing the body, computer, or "lines", for weak areas...
    all men die; few truly live

Anyone that has served in the military or civil service has taken an oath to defend the constitution of the United States.
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

Quote Originally Posted by wildography View Post
    Its like any attack on freedom... constant, due vigilence is necessary... because "the enemy" never sleeps... its like a dang virus or a "sapper"... always probing the body, computer, or "lines", for weak areas...
    What did Alpine Sapper do?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

We should condemn the law abiding citizen because the criminal used a gun? We should strip the law abiding citizen of their rights because the criminal used a gun? We should outlaw a tool, legally owned, because a criminal is using it illegally and has no right to own it? We should further emasculate the law abiding citizen by making him even more susceptible to the criminal?

I'm missing the logic somewhere. Worry less about the tool and more about the underlying cause.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    We should condemn the law abiding citizen because the criminal used a gun? We should strip the law abiding citizen of their rights because the criminal used a gun? We should outlaw a tool, legally owned, because a criminal is using it illegally and has no right to own it? We should further emasculate the law abiding citizen by making him even more susceptible to the criminal?

I'm missing the logic somewhere. Worry less about the tool and more about the underlying cause.
    The dog that bit him (the criminal) when he was five, after he ran away from home because his parents didn't give him proper love and support?
    I'd rather be carried by six than married by one!

Remy, you stated the purpose of the program much better than I could. I also went in knowing the purpose. Anyone reading your post should understand the implications of what was presented. Thanks for your interpretation and clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    you must admit the part with the classroom scenarios was true to fact. it always amazes me how many who have only ever drawn their weapon at the range often proclaim that"if i was there it would have not happened" ha i defy those folks who have never been in that situation to go thru what those few did in that classroom. true fact most gunighters lived after emptying their revlovers at each other and missing from less than ten feet away, why do you think cops and SOG and others train in realistic realtime scenarios, to overcome the tunnel vision and body's auto response to that enviroment.

I Carry In Nevada And Had To Draw Down On A Guy Who Pulled A Rather Ratty Looking Knife On Me. He Went Away But I Can Attest That Sooo Much Goes Through Your Head And Your Shaking So Much You Can't Be Sure Of How It Will End. Shooting At A Human-Like Target Is One Thing, Shooting At Another Human Being, Which We Are Told From Day One Is Wrong Are 2 Different Beasts. I Think Anyone Who Says They Can Do It Are Dangerous, Who Know What They Might Do In A Situation Like That. A Few Sheriffs I Know Have Shot People And They Said No Matter What The Training Its A Situation They Never Want To Face Again.
    "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived."

-George Patton

I'm sorry but I just don't get that. Call me dangerous, I guess. If I was faced with someone intent on doing me or my family harm I'd do whatever I had to do with no second thoughts. No bravado. No remorse. No serendipity. It is what it is.

No, I've never had to do it. Yes, it could be quite different if I had to. I do try to look at it as realistically as I can not having had the experience. But if the choice were him or me...or...him or a family member, then I wouldn't have to think about it. As I said, it is what it is.

I'm sure those sheriffs never want to face it again. I doubt any combat vet wants to face it again. Who would? But, to me, that's a world apart from doing what you have to do in the moment. I'll worry about the reasoning and moral second guessing after I know my family and I are safe.

i used to get bent out of shape about this kind of thing.

at this point, the only solution [when taking away weapon rights leaves only the criminals with guns] just might be to be one.

if they outlawed firearms tomorrow, i'd still own one. if they outlawed making my own beer tomorrow, i'd still make it. heck, if they outlawed the personal home manufacture of peperoni pizza i'd still make it.

there are already so many ridiculous laws on the books that a few of my interests are unlawfull without my engaging in any even unrespectable activities. i almost don't care any more. i guess i'm an outlaw. what's a guy to do.

if they made gardening illegal, do you thing america/canada/etc. would just turn in all their produce seeds?

please people, when laws are passed that make no sense to you, as long as you're not hurting anybody in the proccess, ignore them.

ok, this is the end of my unadvisable and irresponsible rant. i appologise a little.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Canid,no need for apologies,I think your little rant is right on,and I agree with you 100%.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

There was a story on the news last night about the national shortage of ammunition. They attributed it to the fear that additional laws might be passed restricting ownership on some level (ya think?). They said police departments were also having trouble acquiring ammo because of the hoarding. Some guy was interviewed and said when you go into a store you don't ask how much it is, you ask how much have you got. I thought that summed it up pretty well. That was the same thing I asked them at Wal-Mart on Friday. That kind of national message isn't overlooked by legistators.