Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impending Doom

Default Impending Doom

So my first year anniversary is coming up and my wife has told me to do "not too much". That we should "save money" and take it easy this year.

As a male I think that this is great, she is finally understanding how we need to be fiscally responsible and that as long as we are reasonable we can have a wonderful celebration of our marital bliss.

Unfortunately my knowledge of the female species is warning me that this is nothing more than a clever trap designed to lure me in and spring when it is already too late.

So I was wondering if some of our members who have survived into long successful marriages have encountered and escaped this scenario? Anyone care to give me some advice on how I should be prepared for this anniversary?

Colorado Springs, CO wildography's Avatar
    Colorado Springs, CO; I've lived in 9 states, traveled through 32 others

make a map... and use a compass... give her a map, a "treasure map", if you will. Start at your house and then start out, together, on your "treasure hunt". Use your imagination... but here is an example... walk or drive (using the map& compass) to location #1 - where she finds flowers you picked, her favorite snack, etc. Continue to location #2, where she finds another "treasure". Continue on to #3,4,5... or however many locations you want to do. Have the last location be a restaurant or - even better - a picnic basket/blanket/etc. Doesn't cost much; very unique, and one that she'll tell her friends about and always remember.
    all men die; few truly live

Quote Originally Posted by grundle View Post
    So my first year anniversary is coming up and my wife has told me to do "not too much". That we should "save money" and take it easy this year.

As a male I think that this is great, she is finally understanding how we need to be fiscally responsible and that as long as we are reasonable we can have a wonderful celebration of our marital bliss.

Unfortunately my knowledge of the female species is warning me that this is nothing more than a clever trap designed to lure me in and spring when it is already too late.

So I was wondering if some of our members who have survived into long successful marriages have encountered and escaped this scenario? Anyone care to give me some advice on how I should be prepared for this anniversary?
    She's telling you what she thinks you want to hear. My advice? Do what she says. Save some money. Get creative. You can do a lot of really romantic stuff on the CHEAP. Make the day about HER. Waker her up with a nice cup of coffee, hide some sweet notes in her purse/clothes/flip-phone, etc. Treat her to a day at a spa. You can usually get those really cheap with a discount. Once she comes home from the pampering, have a movie you know she'll like cued up, and fix her a nice dinner. Play some mellow music and just enjoy being together. These are just some examples and I'm sure you'll find your own things since you know her better, but if you go that route she'll be putty in your hands by 7pm.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Quote Originally Posted by wildography View Post
    make a map... and use a compass... give her a map, a "treasure map", if you will. Start at your house and then start out, together, on your "treasure hunt". Use your imagination... but here is an example... walk or drive (using the map& compass) to location #1 - where she finds flowers you picked, her favorite snack, etc. Continue to location #2, where she finds another "treasure". Continue on to #3,4,5... or however many locations you want to do. Have the last location be a restaurant or - even better - a picnic basket/blanket/etc. Doesn't cost much; very unique, and one that she'll tell her friends about and always remember.
    This is a great idea, but a word of caution...this can be construed as really romantic and thoughtful/creative, or really cheesy depending on how you manage to pull it off. And don't get to hung up on the number of stops on the treasure hunt. Around #25 she's going to be going 'Ok, wtf...when does the fun start?'.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams

Its a trap. spend some time and money on her. Have fun and happy anniversary.
    "A hero never lives forever, but a coward never lives"
    EMT Instructor

So I should take out the step where she has to calculate windage and the angle of the sun with only a sliderule?

Man I'll never understand women!

Great suggestions, I am starting to have a hazy plan come together.

1) Hike 40 miles to a nice remote location.
    2) Have her dig the fire pit, lug the wood to set up a weather safe lean-t0.
    3) I will busy myself romantically cooking our picnic, spreading the blanket and thoughtfully arranging the flowers I found during our hike.
    4) Enjoy said meal.
    5) Hike 40 miles back home.
    6) Be romantic.

I say all that in a joking manner.

I would love more suggestions if anyone has them.

wow, guys, I'm impressed! And for the record, grundle, you're RIGHT! Don't you dare skimp on the anniversary. Go all out, but do it with class, not money. Take her on a specially prepared picnik. Pick her some flowers. Let her know she means the world to you. We ladies actually prefer something well planned and thoughtful over something picked up at the mall last second for big bucks. After all, we are usually the ones having to balance the budget!

p.s. grundle, I would probably forego steps 1, 2, & 5 in your plan. This is a "survival" forum, afterall

Grundle - there have been some great suggestions here. A word of caution though. Find out from those offering advice if they are still married to the woman that they last tried these suggested activities with.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Good advice. All too often I've heard women complain (OK I've done it too) that men just don't use imagination/effort when celebrating special days. Keep in mind that we've been brainwashed by silly chick flicks and often forget that guys aren't complicated.

Colorado Springs, CO wildography's Avatar
    Colorado Springs, CO; I've lived in 9 states, traveled through 32 others

Quote Originally Posted by grundle View Post
    Great... so just forget about the anniversary... you don't need to do anything. When she starts getting pissed, just remind her of what she said. She won't do the same thing next year.

Oh, by the way, where should we send money for flowers once she kills you?
    all men die; few truly live

1. Tea ceremony
    2. Bathing ceremony
    3. Dress in specific ceremonial kimono
    4. Spread mats on floor
    5. Kneel on mats.
    6. Withdraw long sword and hand it to best friend who will position himself behind you
    7. Say brief prayer as you draw short sword.
    8. Disembowel self with short sword, your friend will behead you if you cry out or whimper....

just a thought, impending doom was truly the right title for this thread my friend.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by melodylee1313 View Post
    Good advice. All too often I've heard women complain (OK I've done it too) that men just don't use imagination/effort when celebrating special days. Keep in mind that we've been brainwashed by silly chick flicks and often forget that guys aren't complicated.
    lol. Where do you think those of us that successfully pull this stuff off get the ideas from? I mean, isn't that why you force us to watch them in the first place?

And for the record, yeah, I'm still married, coming up on 6 in August.
    Prison is a great institution. Uh, marriage. Yeah, I meant marriage.
    Samuel Adams

mountain momma is right on grundle,some of us women are more impressed with what comes from your heart,not your wallet.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

My 12th anniversary is in 3 days. I haven't a clue what I'm gonna do or get her. I've been lost since day one. The really cool part is that whatever I come up with seams to be exactly what she wanted. I have noticed that the more involved I am in the planning, the more she likes it. I think it's the investment of a man's effort that tugs a gals heart strings. I really don't think that a flower delivery called in and paid for without looking at em will ever compete with picking out each flower of the bouquet yourself. During our first year together we went out once or twice a week. Come anniversary time I did the candle lit dinner at home. That made it special. I hope you have a great time and wish you many more.
    Well why not?

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    mountain momma is right on grundle,some of us women are more impressed with what comes from your heart,not your wallet.
    This is completely true. I think the best gift I ever saw exchanged at christmas time (by the recipients reaction, anyway) was the year my dad learned to whittle. I guess he picked it up around Feb. or Mar. that year, and by Christmas had a so-so hand carved wooden dolphin on a homemade stand that he gave my stepmom. It was kinda rough looking but I guarantee no body in the room will ever forget that dolphin.
    Samuel Adams

Seriously, the BESTEST aniversary gift I ever recieved in 15 years of marriage was a hand written letter about 2 pages long. Everything was from his heart, I know he had no help because it was tacky and corny, but I will treasure it forever. That, and he once made my fave, Deep fried shrimp and he shaped them into a heart. But I ate those.

I would never get in the middle of this for any amount of money. First, I would never want your blood on my hands if it went wrong. Second, I don't want her tracking ME down if it goes wrong ('cause I know you'll rat me out with your last, dying breath).

Besides. Am I going to get any credit if it goes well? Of course not. She'll be none the wiser all you'll get and the "credit"....if you know what it mean.

You're on your own buster...just like I have been 35 times. Oh, good luck and Happy Anniversary.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

After 32 years, I can safely offer the following: Follow your own feelings, have no illusions on being right or wrong. Has worked for me so far with minimal "lumps"
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Alpine Sapper gave you some solid advise. Make the day about her and you will be the champ. In June, I have my 30th anniversary coming up and that is what I plan to do. It works every year.
    I asked her the other day just to get a feeling of her thoughts and she said that I always do well on my own. It is the little things that she will like and remember, you don't have to spend a fortune. Just think a little and you will do alright.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.