Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand Cart?

Default Hand Cart?

I have been thinking of making one for camping close to my truck instead of carrying things back and forth You know that ice chest has going and gotten heave over the last few years...The Mormon had a Hand Cart they used to get out to Utah , walked it a 1000 miles out here. I was thinking of using Mountain Bicycle wheels and some how a break , so it will not get away from me Any one , made one of this or is there one all ready made out I can buy??
    Do it with what you got and you want need what you don't have

If you have a boating supply store near you, dock carts sound about what you are describing. Prices vary. Here's one to show you what I'm talking about. http://www.fishing-catalog.com/lambert/dock_carts.htm
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Smok View Post
    I have been thinking of making one for camping close to my truck instead of carrying things back and forth You know that ice chest has going and gotten heave over the last few years...The Mormon had a Hand Cart they used to get out to Utah , walked it a 1000 miles out here. I was thinking of using Mountain Bicycle wheels and some how a break , so it will not get away from me Any one , made one of this or is there one all ready made out I can buy??

Don't know about buying one, but if you are going to canibalize the wheels, why not just use the calipers from the bike, as well as the handbreaks/bars? Just mount the bars on the back of your cart and run the cables down to the calipers. the only thing you really have to fabricate is the box or whatever type of enclosure you wanted for the gear and then put it together. Maybe pick up an extra set of wheels and brake cables if you wanted a double axle or whatever.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

My father-in-law gave me one of these. It's at least 10-15 years old.A couple of new bike tires from wally world and it was good as new. Tough as nails. I use it in the garden and when car camping with the family.

Here's a link to their site. Maybe they have a design you like. One you can build for yourself.
    http://www.amleo.com/index/help-desk/subcat.cgi?Cat=LB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Well why not?

Hay Thanks guys that fishing cart looks great $200. is not too bad Thanks to all of you for the help
    Do it with what you got and you want need what you don't have

Look at the deer carts they sell with excellent tires and all, Cabela's probably would have some.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

smok,
    Go to the cabelas site and check out their game carrier. it has 2 wheels and a shallow V frame that you can strap your gear to plus it folds flat for storage. There are 2 version an aluminum and steel version.
    I know what hunts you.

google " beachcartsUSA "for some ideas and great wheels
    Mischief

while your at walmart picking up new bike tires, don't forget to pick up some airless tubes that don't go flat...

We camp in a few places where cars cant be brought past a certain point. The deer carrier Ive had for years works great to get gear to the site. At these sites we camp wiith the bare essentials usually in backpacks but as stated an ice chest filled with drinks is nice if the terrain isnt too bad.

Thumbs up Deer Cart Transport

Hello the Camp, I have 2 deer carts that I have modified and use , very handy items for a one man show. Tut

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schleprok View Post
    while your at walmart picking up new bike tires, don't forget to pick up some airless tubes that don't go flat...
    Excellent idea, or carry one a tube or spray can of Green Slime tube tire sealant or Six a Flat with you, not as convenient but it will keep you going.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

There you go.

Here's the Sportsman's Guide 300 pound game cart folded down in the back of my rig. It takes up way less room than the gear it will haul.

The plastic container has gear, shelter, and food for a week, an extra jacket hangs on the back of the front seat, and the folding lawn chair is in case I decide to sit down and rest for a while. (Actually it is for the grandkids soccer games.)

The game cart cost much less than the average "tactical" bag that is all the rage now days and it can carry about 200 pounds more gear and allows me to roll along with way more gear than I could ever pretend I could carry on my back.

It also has solid tires so forget the slime crap.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Sweet, I like that a lot! Makes lots of sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    There you go.

Here's the Sportsman's Guide 300 pound game cart folded down in the back of my rig. It takes up way less room than the gear it will haul.

The plastic container has gear, shelter, and food for a week, an extra jacket hangs on the back of the front seat, and the folding lawn chair is in case I decide to sit down and rest for a while. (Actually it is for the grandkids soccer games.)

The game cart cost much less than the average "tactical" bag that is all the rage now days and it can carry about 200 pounds more gear and allows me to roll along with way more gear than I could ever pretend I could carry on my back.

It also has solid tires so forget the slime crap.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

That's it?.
    Oh I get it .....just EDC right?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yep that's it.

The Get Home Bag, or the get home tote as the case may be.

I hardly ever go anywhere so a week of goodies is all I need.

If I intend to rebuild civilization I take the Jeep and if real serious I hitch up the trailer.

Doubtful that I would ever have to abandon the vehicle since my trips to town on the interstate are flanked on each side by secondary roads. Not a spot on the route more than 4 miles between exits and in some cases I could cut the barbed wire and drive 50 yards across the grass and be on one of the alternate routes.

That reminds me, I need to put the fence tool back in the tote.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

..........See "one more thing...Just one more thing"

LOL

The most important thing for a cart is big wheels. Small wheels don't ever get it. Bigger wheels = better cart except for obvious things like it doesn't break down or the handle isn't so short that you don't have any leverage when you need to twist it around and over things or how you attach it to yourself.

The only problem I've run into with the deer cart is the blamed thing doesn't sit level when you let go of it. So anything that's loaded on it will get dumped. I even tried a kick stand for it but the cart loaded is to heavy for it and it still falls over. Otherwise, it works good.