Thread: What do you carry daily?

Default What do you carry daily?

Question for you guys, do any of you carry a daily bag with you? I am looking to put together a daily bag of sorts. Something to keep all kinds of odds and ends that a person might have a need for. The bag is one that I got from LA Police Gear and it is kind of like a briefcase but with a few pockets on the front of it. Kind of like this.

bailbagbacksmall.jpg

I am not wanting anything like a BOB or anything like that. This is something that will be with me or in the truck all of the time. With the main use of it being that when I travel it will be able to go into the hotel with me and not draw any undue attention, it is the same color and looks like my bagage. This bag does have the secret compartment for my gun and a couple of mags. I already put a coil of 100' of paracord, hand held GPS, my Glock and 2 mags, good fixed blade knife, batteries, head light, local and state maps, pens and notepad and a couple other little things. Living here in Texas I am no where near some place that I would need stuff for wilderness surival. There are towns every few miles around here. What I am looking for is what do some of you carry and I am also looking for suggestions for my bag. Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Looks like a range bag, and if it holds everything you want to put in it - it's a good bag then.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Wade - here are a couple of threads that might give you a few ideas.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=1256

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=1470

Currently this bag http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...=4&idproduct=6 follows me around most places. I did not buy it from this site, but it gives a good description.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Wade
    I am no where near some place that I would need stuff for wilderness surival.
    You might want to rethink that. You never know when or WHERE you might need survival gear.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

countycomm.com has some very good bail out bags for really good prices. maxpedition also has some really cool versipacks and gear slingers but are a little bit more pricey.
    how dare i call this love and not bare my cross

Bear Clan

Colorado Springs, CO wildography's Avatar
    Colorado Springs, CO; I've lived in 9 states, traveled through 32 others

Quote Originally Posted by wade View Post
    Question for you guys, do any of you carry a daily bag with you? I am looking to put together a daily bag of sorts. Something to keep all kinds of odds and ends that a person might have a need for. The bag is one that I got from LA Police Gear and it is kind of like a briefcase but with a few pockets on the front of it. Kind of like this.

bailbagbacksmall.jpg

I am not wanting anything like a BOB or anything like that. This is something that will be with me or in the truck all of the time. With the main use of it being that when I travel it will be able to go into the hotel with me and not draw any undue attention, it is the same color and looks like my bagage. This bag does have the secret compartment for my gun and a couple of mags. I already put a coil of 100' of paracord, hand held GPS, my Glock and 2 mags, good fixed blade knife, batteries, head light, local and state maps, pens and notepad and a couple other little things. Living here in Texas I am no where near some place that I would need stuff for wilderness surival. There are towns every few miles around here. What I am looking for is what do some of you carry and I am also looking for suggestions for my bag. Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Living in east Texas, perhaps some 'bug spray' for the skeeters/flies? Put it in a zip lock baggy to keep it from getting on other things. Perhaps some hard candy, aspirin, about 6 feet of duct tape wrapped around a wooden down (for compactness), and 2 or 3 hand-grenades... no, wait... forget the grenades.
    all men die; few truly live

Thanks guys for the ideas. Rick you are ofcourse right, that anything could happen and I ususally have a BOB stashed in the truck.

Great idea about the bug spray. We have enough skeeters around to carry you off somewhere and stash you to save you for eating later.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wade View Post
    Rick you are of course right.
    WADE: We are very, very, very tolerant; (Note: We even have Lawyers on here); However we will have "NO" more of that type of talk.........Am I clear, "AM I CLEAR", never suggest that Rick was even in the same ballpark as "RIGHT"......

NOTE: We call them "MAN'bags" Rick calls his, My "man'purse".........

Last edited by Rick; 04-10-2009 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Fixed quote

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Because I don't go forth and slave for the coin of the realm anymore I carry more than I need on the Rincon or Jeep. I took the rear seat out of the jeep and it carries normal size equipment including a little ammo & a long gun plus my carry 45. I don't have a bag that I carry with me and the ATV bag is well stocked also. I can take the ATV bag and throw it over my shoulder if necessary, canvas bag in the Jeep the same way. It's not primitive by a long shot, hard top Jeep Unlimited with a trailer & ATV works out fine for my intended area.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Wade, pay no attention to the grinch. Even his dog wears a grinch hat. If you think I'm right, then I'm right. A lot of people think I'm right. A few aren't even kin.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

For a while I carried a bag kinda like that. Because it looked like a range bag, I got some inquisitive stares. A friend told me to clip an old gym membership card to the outside of it. I tried it and it worked. Noone looked twice. I like to draw the least amout of attention to myself as possible.
    Well why not?

That's a great idea. If you don't have a gym membership then go out to a gym's web site and copy their logo into Word. Print it and cut it out. That and a generic luggage tag should work. Presto! Gym membership.

I received a leather briefcase bag from Kroger for my 15 year anniversary. I thought it was awesome for a BOB. Then I got it home, the woman saw it and the first words out of her mouth were, "Wow that's a big man purse." After that I couldn't stand to look at it anymore, so I threw it into a closet to forget about for a couple of years.
    Surviving the Fellini Kroger since 1993

Quote Originally Posted by doren View Post
    I received a leather briefcase bag from Kroger for my 15 year anniversary. I thought it was awesome for a BOB. Then I got it home, the woman saw it and the first words out of her mouth were, "Wow that's a big man purse." After that I couldn't stand to look at it anymore, so I threw it into a closet to forget about for a couple of years.
    I'd still be carrying the bag (since it's useful) and just make sure I'm armed with a double handful of snide, smartass quips for those jackasses that wanna pop off with "nice purse".
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Quote Originally Posted by tennecedar View Post

For a while I carried a bag kinda like that. Because it looked like a range bag, I got some inquisitive stares. A friend told me to clip an old gym membership card to the outside of it. I tried it and it worked. Noone looked twice. I like to draw the least amout of attention to myself as possible.

I was thinking something along the same lines when reading the OP. He said his bag (pictured) matched the rest of his luggage to not draw undue attention. My thought was that military duffels and "tactical" style luggage is going to draw attention no matter what, especially if you have the matching set. Women either get excited or scared/leary, and men typically wonder if you are a cop or not. *shrug* while I really enjoy tactical gear, for standard civilian activities like going to granny's house for a week, I prefer to keep the tac stuff hidden and travel clandestinely. If the average joe thinks I'm just another average joe, so much the better. The predators can usually tell who the marks are just by the way you walk or carry yourself.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Quote Originally Posted by tennecedar View Post
    That is the reason I choose this bag and got it in black. It is made of the same stuff my luggage is made off and looks a little bit like a briefcase. This I am not carring someking of backpack everywhere. That would really draw allot of attention that I do not want. Now I am just trying to decide what I need in the bag.

Doran I would still be carrying that bag. It does not matter what people say and besides the more they think it is a purse the less they would be worried about me.
    Last edited by Rick; 04-10-2009 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Fixed quote

my purse is my greatest weapon....no body would look at lil' ole me and think me dangerous. i think a man-purse is a great idea!

I hang out in the Burning Man Community. Carrying some sort of pack or bag is normal as you have to have a place for your "stuff". We call them a "Murse".

My daily carry bag is a cheesy Jansport backpack. Makes me look like a student which is good camo on my daily commute via train and bus. Since it's a long commute, and some day I might have to walk home, It's fairly loaded with gear for a 25 mile walk through hostile territory. None of the peeps on the train would ever guess that I was carrying hardware like I do.

Urban camouflage is an art form and important considering the bad area I travel through and the jokers I meet along the way. In the last 12 months there have been 2 murders and at least a dozen assaults on my route, and I intend not to be a victim of that kind of street crime.
    "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mountain mama View Post
    my purse is my greatest weapon!

Yep, spin that puppy up to peak velocity over your head, then take one step toward the bad'guy and T.K.O. his head..........

I made a belt a while back that has a oilskin ( part of an olf Filsons coat) pouch that carries a full flint, steel, tinder and char cloth kit. In another pouch I have my whet stone and a leatherman surge on my main belt.
    Last edited by hobowonkanobe; 04-17-2009 at 12:37 PM.