Thread: No knead bread

Default No knead bread

I found this bread recipe today, and I'm thinking about trying it. Has anyone ever made bread like this before?
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine_Sapper View Post
    I found this bread recipe today, and I'm thinking about trying it. Has anyone ever made bread like this before?
    Not sure. Link?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Need to post a recipe.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

Alpine,I have been making yeast breads since I was fairly young maybe 9 or 10 years old,and have tried many recipes including the no knead ones,personally,I don't care for the texture of thee no knead recipes.

The taste isn't bad,but it is just lacking in texture for me.

I don't even use a recipe anymore,just throw the ingredients in a bowl,mix and knead for 20 minutes,make the rolls or loaf let rise and bake.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

my bad, I thought I did;that whole shots to the head thing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Alpine,I have been making yeast breads since I was fairly young maybe 9 or 10 years old,and have tried many recipes including the no knead ones,personally,I don't care for the texture of thee no knead recipes.

The taste isn't bad,but it is just lacking in texture for me.

I don't even use a recipe anymore,just throw the ingredients in a bowl,mix and knead for 20 minutes,make the rolls or loaf let rise and bake.
    thanks, Nell. That's probably going to save me some time tomorrow. I plan to make a loaf, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to make a standby or something new.
    Samuel Adams

There are a lot of no knead bread recipes. Bannock, Fry Bread, etc. I like them but, as Nell said, it impacts the texture.

Kneading helps form gluten in the dough and the gluten helps form air pockets that collect the carbon dioxide that allows bread to rise.

You can get about the same thing from a no knead dough if you allow the bread to rise for 13-14 hours. That amount of time allows the gluten to form similar to kneading for 8-10 minutes.

By the way, if you don't have instant yeast, you can use an active dry yeast in place of it. Just follow the directions on the yeast package. Usually, it's add to warm water with a pinch of sugar.

I love home made bread no matter how you make it. Let us know how it turns out.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    There are a lot of no knead bread recipes. Bannock, Fry Bread, etc. I like them but, as Nell said, it impacts the texture.

Kneading helps form gluten in the dough and the gluten helps form air pockets that collect the carbon dioxide that allows bread to rise.

You can get about the same thing from a no knead dough if you allow the bread to rise for 13-14 hours. That amount of time allows the gluten to form similar to kneading for 8-10 minutes.

By the way, if you don't have instant yeast, you can use an active dry yeast in place of it. Just follow the directions on the yeast package. Usually, it's add to warm water with a pinch of sugar.

I love home made bread no matter how you make it. Let us know how it turns out.
    It's not that I mind the kneading, in fact, kneading the dough and bouncing it off the counter to stimulate the gluten can be relaxing. However, I don't always have time to sit and wait for it to rise, punch it down, etc. etc. I make bannock a lot, but other than not having to roll it out and cut it out, it's the same as a biscuit. Makes a GREAT dumpling, etc. I was looking for something more along the lines of a baquette for texture though, but since the no knead bread doesn't have a good reputation for texture then I'm just go with my standard baguette recipe for today and will save the no knead bread for a day when I can just experiment with it.
    Samuel Adams

I tried a recipe similiar to that. I got it from Mother Earth News. I haven't bought bread at the store since. Here is a link to the recipe that i use. You can use it for Pizza dough too.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/print...aspx?id=142688

I was just about to say this resembles my pizza crust recipe...

Sweet, thnx! I'll hafta give it a shot.
    Samuel Adams