Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My boys' first real gear

Default My boys' first real gear

I have two boys that are getting to that age to where i believe they can participate more on our woods treks. They have been after me for a while now to have their own "stuff". I asked specifically what they wanted. The youngest (7) said "A back pack like yours that ain't made for school". My oldest (9) responded after a moments thought "We need our own knives. Pocket knives. So we can whittle and open up feed bags. And I'd really like to have a hatchet too. For when we're camping."
    Well, I couldn't help myself. I went the next day and got them both a Buck hatchet and a new Swiss army knife each. I went over the Scout manual with them on knives and axes twice. I just ordered a copy of the movie Old Yeller thinking that might drive home the responsibilities of having an axe.
    This weekend we go looking for backpacks(junior BOBs).
    What do ya'll think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tennecedar; 03-31-2009 at 01:13 AM. Reason: spelling
    Well why not?

tennecedar, I am happy for you. Look at all the time that you are going to get to spend with them, and just think of the memories that you are going to have to remember.
    I plan on taking my grandson camping with us some this summer, and I can't wait. The fun part is getting to teach them things that they will use the rest of their lives.
    I have to buy a junior size BOB myself for the same reason that you have to. It is hard to tell the little fellers no.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

Nice. Hmmm - young boys wanting knives and axes - yep - they're normal! Oh, and dads happy to get them - yep - you're normal too.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I gave my 8 year old son a Swiss Army knife for Christmas. While he was very pleased with the gift, he said, "Don't you think a fixed blade knife would be safer? Or at least a locking blade?" While he has a point (a locking blade won't come down on his fingers), I am not quite ready to take that step.

Thoughts from some dads/granddads who have already been this way?
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

They'll be playing mumbly peg before you know it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Great way to teach them. Besides is fun to buy more stuff
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I have always had a knife as far back as I can remember. Oddly enough I don't remember having one moments instruction on the use of knives from any adult, nor do I recall adult supervision when using them. There was no "taboo" around using a knife like there was no "taboo" concerning the use of wrenches to take apart our bikes. My point? We survived.

Yes, I do have a very well made scar on my left index finger from a Barlow. I was cutting a notch in the top of a self box and it skipped out. I think that taught me more about knife use and safety than anything else.

I started my kids out with red handled Moras and my son has his own folder. I only let them use their knives when I am there to instruct. It won't save them from getting cut eventually, even I cut myself on occasion. I also bash myself periodically with hammers, shock myself when doing wiring, burn myself on engines, etc. It keeps me on my toes. Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

I am glad my son only wants his own fishing gear. I don't think he (6) is ready for any blades.
    Surviving in Los Angeles-

It won't stop. My youngest is 31 and I just got him a another fixed blade. One you get started it's just hard to find a stopping point.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Surreptitious Watchman Kemperor's Avatar

Shoot, I wasn't even allowed to have a BB gun. I feel deprived. Then again, my Dad knew I'd use the neighbors as target practice.

I got my first Daisy Red Rider at 5 and my first knife around 7. That's about the age when we all (the kids in my family) got our firsts. It was just natural to us. (I have 15 cousins within 5 years of my age. My mom is the middle child of seven.)I got my first shot gun,single shot 410, at 9 and by 11 had taken a couple of doe's with slugs. We all still hunt and fish together. Now that our children are getting interested in the outdoors the cycle continues.
    Well why not?

What kind of packs are you getting them? Does it have a hydration bladder? A sleeping bag compartment? Room for your ammo and rifle... err... maybe not that one. We need details! Details and pictures!!! (pics or it didnt happen l0l n00b.) My nephew who's fixing to be nine wants me to start teaching him survival/bush skills. Kids are great! (with BBQ sauce...)
    Last edited by MatthewnOK; 03-31-2009 at 12:50 PM.
    I'd rather be carried by six than married by one!

I always let my kids have access to my gear and bought them what they needed as they grew. I started teaching them how to use a rifle when they were around 6 and 7. I gave my grandson a .22 last year, he was 12, it was the first chance I'd had to give it to him.

I figure it's how I grew up and I made it this far without shooting myself or slicing off anything major.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Does that imply you have minor things that have been? EEeeeeeek.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm at a serious loss when it comes to packs that would fit the boys. The oldest (9) is
    4'8" and 172Lbs. The young one is not far behind him. ( We grow em full sized round here). I'm really leaning towards ruck sacks with 10-12 lbs of gear max.
    Last edited by tennecedar; 03-31-2009 at 02:39 PM.
    Well why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Does that imply you have minor things that have been? EEeeeeeek.
    You're a sad....bitter....lonely man, aren't you Rick?
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Hey, watch it. I'm not bitter, okay?

Quote Originally Posted by tennecedar View Post
    I'm at a serious loss when it comes to packs that would fit the boys. The oldest (9) is
    4'8" and 172Lbs. The young one is not far behind him. ( We grow em full sized round here). I'm really leaning towards ruck sacks with 10-12 lbs of gear max.
    The Wal-Mart where I live keeps in their camping section four or five hiking packs. The most expensive is $30, so if they're a little rough with them it's no real loss.

I still have my first knife, It was the Ranger model Swiss army knife. I don't use it anymore, but I do sit around and remember all that knife did for me.
    Surviving the Fellini Kroger since 1993

Quote Originally Posted by doren View Post
    The Wal-Mart where I live keeps in their camping section four or five hiking packs. The most expensive is $30, so if they're a little rough with them it's no real loss.

I still have my first knife, It was the Ranger model Swiss army knife. I don't use it anymore, but I do sit around and remember all that knife did for me.

My brother and I both have one of those. The zippers can be iffy on the desert ridge, which I have. The Adrenaline for 30$ is a real gem. Outdoor products (the makers of these packs) have a lifetime warrante. The have some that would fit a little person for 10-20 dollars.
    I'd rather be carried by six than married by one!

Quote Originally Posted by doren View Post

Agreed. Another good shot is Big Lots. I found packs there that met my needs for $15, whree as Wallie world and Acadamey both wanted $30 minimum for a model that would work. Neither had a spot for hydration bladder, but, what's wrong with a water bottle? Sure the bladder is more convienant, but either will work.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.