Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gourds

Default gourds

I need help with groud I made a groud bowl and don't know what to do about the inside to make it food worthy.
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

Quote Originally Posted by skunkkiller View Post
    I need help with groud I made a groud bowl and don't know what to do about the inside to make it food worthy.
    what's a groud?
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

gourd sorry miss spelled.
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

food grade mineral oil. It will water proof the inside and protect the gourd. Any type of corn oil, olive oil or such will go rancid.

You could also pour melted wax inside to seal it if you are just using it for water and not for food.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

thanks Rick would lindseed work?

Not if you are going to eat or drink out of it. It has a really strong odor and flavor. I'm sure that would be imparted for a while at least. I have no idea whether or not it will go rancid. I've never messed with it for wood.

I have two spoons I'm going to finish up this week and picked up some mineral oil yesterday to put on them.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Here are a couple of blog entries from Beowulf regarding gourd canteens.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/blog.php?b=84

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/blog.php?b=83
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    food grade mineral oil.
    That's what I would use as well. You can find it at many hardware stores or places that sell real hardwood cutting boards and other food type products made from wood.

If you were just displaying them you could seal them with shellac as well, but I don't think you would want that for something touching your food.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior
    Facta non verba

Lethality of the 22LR - Actual test
    Honor dies where interest lies

I know Ace Hardware carries food grade mineral oil. At least my store does.

I read some were that there is a EPA approved food grade shellac but I have not looked for it . I to would like to make some gourd bowls
    Do it with what you got and you want need what you don't have

Rick: I work at an ACE and we carry it as well. Any ACE that does not have it in store can special order it for you and there shouldn't be an extra charge since it will be delivered with there normal weekly freight shipment.

Smok: I will see if I can find anything about an EPA food grade shellac.
    Facta non verba

Thanks Raymond Peter
    Do it with what you got and you want need what you don't have

Isn't all shellac going to be safe?

I mean, its a natural product, no additives right? Shellac is what they use to make time release pills, coat candy, etc, we eat it every day.

Though, I believe it wouldn't be the best to hold food. It can break down in both alcohol and water.

Shellac is a resin secreted by the female lac bug to form a cocoon, on trees in the forests of India and Thailand. I'm not eating bug secretions, female or otherwise. Bleck.

So here is the deal. I looked at about 8 different types/brands/styles of shellac at work. NONE of them safe if they are food safe or not.

So I did a quick web search on Google for "food grade shellac" and here are a few of the links I found semi useful:
    http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=26893
    http://www.inchem.org/documents/jecf...no/v30je15.htm
    http://antiquerestorers.com/Articles/jeff/shellac.htm
    Facta non verba

Couldnt you melt wax, pour inside, swish around and pour out, let cool.Waterproof!

Oh, sure thunder stealer.

I wouldn't put anything on the inside of a gourd that I wouldn't be willing to consume a couple tablespoons of. Dry gourds will tolerate boiling water long enough to disinfect them. Salt, vinegar, hot water all kill bacteria whenever you felt you needed it. Lard and coconut oil are pretty stable and resist rancidity. Most vegetable oils will become rancid and leave a bad taste. Maybe bees wax if you wanted.

thanks every one for your imput . I think it will be the mineral oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Runs With Beer View Post
    Couldnt you melt wax, pour inside, swish around and pour out, let cool.Waterproof!
    Hey, this soup is really good! But, what's that funny flavor? And texture?
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.