Thread: Did you know this?

Banned

Default Did you know this?

I was testing a few things today for durabilty and safety and practicality. Well a mylar emergency blanket does block wind pretty well and did hold the heat in my clothing, but wouldn't work well if you were nude waiting for your clothes to dry.
    However here is what I didn't know mylar is ferociously flamable. The lick of a flame from a small fire caused it to catch and it burned, melted and dripped molten waste and emitted black noxious and probably toxic smoke.
    I could just see someone desperately clinging to one of these huddled up close to a fire they finally managed to get going only to have the mylar catch fire and burn them badly before they could be free of it.
    I'll stick with a wool blanket in my kit. Wool is naturally fire retardent(race car drivers wear wool lohn johns for a reason.)
    I should point out this test was done with one of the cheap disposable ermergency blankets not the sturdier space blankets.
    Last edited by hoosierarcher; 03-29-2009 at 07:11 PM.

heard about that , i think from ron hood
    thought the question was gonna be if we knew that crash was a skunk-i thought yep knew that right off
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Actually, no I didn't. I have a bunch of them in different kits. Yeah, you're right. Bundled up in front of fire would be the wrong time to know that. Glad you found out before you or any of us needed. Thanks!!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Another "nasty" quality is that many of this type material melt to your skin if you are unfortunate enough to be in them when they ignite. Saw some nasty burns that could have been avoided in IED incidents if the troops had been wearing cotton t shirts and nomex "baclavas" rather than the trendy poly or synthetic material stuff designed to wick sweat away from the body. Natural is the way to goIMHO.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Back in the 80s when Mylar survival blankets (called space blankets back then)became main stream the flammable properties were considered a major bonus, one of those blankets provided a lot of tinder for fire starting. They were considered better for fire starting than there intended use.

They can be used as quite an effective ground marker signal too.

A good way to use a survival blanket is to cut a slit in the centre and put your head through the slit and wear it like a poncho. Remove your jacket first and tuck the material inside your trousers, if you cut slits in the material you can push it down each trouser leg and rap it around your legs. Now put your jacket back on over the top of it.

This will feel quite uncomfortable but it is windproof and will maintain your core body temperature and will help to protect the blanket from rips and will deaden the noise quite a bit. The jacket and trousers will give some protection from sparks and flame whilst working around fire.
    The purest form of survival is built on solid fundamental survival skills Pure Survival

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    Another "nasty" quality is that many of this type material melt to your skin if you are unfortunate enough to be in them when they ignite. Saw some nasty burns that could have been avoided in IED incidents if the troops had been wearing cotton t shirts and nomex "baclavas" rather than the trendy poly or synthetic material stuff designed to wick sweat away from the body. Natural is the way to goIMHO.
    Unfortunately cotton is flammable as well but not energetically so; but it will not melt on you. The Search/Rescue EMTs out West call the synthetic underwear so many people wear "shrink wrap" Because of the accidents they have seen made worse because those materials were worn.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierarcher View Post
    Unfortunately cotton is flammable as well but not energetically so; but it will not melt on you. The Search/Rescue EMTs out West call the synthetic underwear so many people wear "shrink wrap" Because of the accidents they have seen made worse because those materials were worn.
    You are correct, cotton chars. And that shrink wrap effect is probably the most horrendus burn I a=have ever encountered, virtually impossible to clean in a field environment and even in hospital, the debriding is draconian.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Banned

When I was in Saudi Arabia every other Marine thought I was nuts for wearing 100 gram merino wool and also silk underwear(not at the same time). It was the lightest I could find. I was the only one comfortable in the chilly desert night and the only one that didn't get monkey butt. I was also the only one that didn't mind the weight of a large bottle of Gold Bond Maximum strength in my pack.

Wool Also Retains Most Of It's Insulating Property's When Soaking Wet As Well!
    "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived."

-George Patton

Surreptitious Watchman Kemperor's Avatar

I try to stay away from mylar blankets unless it's an absolute emergency. My main use for them is a winter time solar heater for shelters.