Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Natural Pottery

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ok, this is a project I've been toying with for quite some time, and I finally dug some clay the other day. I did get a chance to talk to my old ceramics teacher from 13 years ago, and she still remembered me. She recommended a book or two on pottery, that touches on primitive ways, but I'm looking for some more definitive sources. Are there any really good books on primitive pottery? I have a LOT of questions.

I don't think my clay is fine enough.. a bit too course. When you pinch it, it cracks everywhere. Nothing like I remember from high school (but that was a long time ago and I probably don't remember much lol.) Can I use this clay anyway or should I find a better source with more plastic clay. I know where some is, but it's on private property and I don't want to take a chance, BUT I kinda want to take a chance because this clay source I'm talking about is VERY near to my BOL.
    My old teacher offered to give me her scrap clay (stuff that dried out and needs to be rewetted) for FREE if I ever get a chance to go back over there. That town is 30 miles away, and when you work for a living, it's hard to get over there during school hours, lol. So, I'll be using some of that (eventually) for some small pieces and for test firing in a pit out back of the house. I really want to get the basics down before SHTF. and I really, really want to learn to do it with natural source clay in a primitive setting.

A tip she gave me for all you potters already firing wares: 55gal metal drum 1/2 full of sawdust (like from a cabinet shop dust collector), insert ware, cover with more sawdust, add more ware, etc., light it on fire and walk away. Come back and check it in a day or two when everything has cooled and see if anything is left. She said this was the way they did it before they had a kiln at her school (that was aeons ago lol) and she claims to have had a lot of success this way.
    I really need some books on this subject if anyone has anything to offer, TIA!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Blog Entries

I just came across this, and I thought it a good intro, at least for myself.
    http://www.practicalprimitive.com/sk...ssingclay.html

not sure how I missed it before.. bing keeps giving me search overload...
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

Here's a thread that Runs With Beer (he hasn't been around for awhile) did showing some of his work. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=6330
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Good link YCC, that was the method i was going to look for. I like the site you found better then the one I have. Thanks
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

I used to work with clay and love, love, LOVED it. Darn kilns just cost so much to get, so much to run, and need so much space. Maybe one day I will be lucky enough to have ALL those things and can start it up again. Great pieces RWB!
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

crash, the link you provided is this thread lol.

gryff, I went to their homepage and tried to find the article, and I couldn't seem to navigate to it, so how I got lucky and found it is beyond me.. me and the search button don't understand each other lol. I'm digging for some good info so I'll take anything else you might want to share.. gotta go stir my mud!

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    crash, the link you provided is this thread lol.

gryff, I went to their homepage and tried to find the article, and I couldn't seem to navigate to it, so how I got lucky and found it is beyond me.. me and the search button don't understand each other lol. I'm digging for some good info so I'll take anything else you might want to share.. gotta go stir my mud!
    I don't believe so. It should link to a thread started by Runs With Beer.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Here are a few other pieces i made, Hope u like
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work RWB - you realize of course that Gene would say that one of them looked like a frog don't you?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

lol. clicking the link takes you to page 1 of this thread, started by RWB. click the link and go to page 2. My post is the first one on page 2 lol.

Those are some nice looking pieces RWB. Can you divulge any more info about this, or perhaps a couple good books I might check out at the library? I'm processing the clay as described in the link I posted, but I'm not getting the sedimentary layer on the bottom like shown in the pictures.. I'll keep trying.

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

It was just a test and you passed. We do that from time to time just to keep folks on the ball.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The one that looks like a frog, is a frog oil lamp. The wick goes in the mouth. As for the clay I dug it myself. Mix in a vessel good< let settle for a few mins.and pour off, repeat 3 times, then pour in a large pan and let dry to the thickness you like and get it on.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

thanks rwb. I've done 3 pourings already, but I think I'm gonna do a few more just to make sure.. the slurry still feels kinda grainy. I'm wondering if my clay isn't really up to par. I'll keep ya posted with my progress anyhow.

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

Blog Entries

Okay, just an update, no pics yet (i've been taking them, but I'm just not ready to post) but the water method is very effective at quickly cleaning out heavy particles and rocks. I've made a wad of orange clay from the slough, and have a ball of white clay (from my BOL!) drying from the creek. The orange clay is cracking as it dries. (I made a little drinking bowl) I believe this is a good sign I need to add temper.
    Can I use bricks and crush them into powder?
    I took a clump from the bucket the other night while I had a fire going in the chop shop. dried it on top of the stove for a while, moved it closer and closer to the fire, till it was inside the heart of the coal-bed. Piled coals on it and added logs on top of that. I checked it the next day after all the coals were burnt up. It felt lighter and much more grainy... The real test: I poured a glass of water on it, it didn't melt or turn muddy or slick. It absorbed the water just like bricks do. I presume this is an indication that I have decent quality clay since it didn't explode.

What kind and how much temper do I add? I've read about everything from firebrick to old pottery, to cattail fluff. I've read about 1/10 temper to clay, and I've read about 50/50 mixes.. is there any way to know what would be best for my clay without a whole lot of trial and error?

Thanks in Advance!!

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

YOU can use the crushed brick or sand, 1 part sand to 5 parts clay. If it did not fall apart when you wet it your on the right track. If you burnish the inside of your bowl before firing it wont soak up to water as fast.You can also coat the inside of the bowl with beeswax to water proof, Hope this helps, Sounds like your on the right track.

YCC, RWB, thanks for the update. I'm eager to try some pottery from the clay in my cellar.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

Blog Entries

I'm a little disappointed that my bowl cracked, but at least I got plastic clay.. now to adjust for shrinkage.

Thanks for your help RWB. This is a really fun (and REALLY dirty) project! I'm sure for you it's second nature and you can tell by "feel" what to do. As with most primitive skills you have to get a feel for things.

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

YCC, thought you would like this link if you don't already have it. Its about making chord marked pottery and a step by step for the collection to firing of the clay.

http://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/vi...ked/index.html

The Practical Primitive link you posted in #22 has info on tempering and making small test bowls in different ratios to find the best fired result. You probably already read it.
    Karl

Ycc, IF you use warm water instead of cold you may have less shrinkage.

OR since shrinkage is in part from the loss of moisture, perhaps the clay is too wet when you set it to drying. Can you work with a stiffer/dryer clay?
    Karl