Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Easy-to-make Cowboy Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by edr730 View Post
    We regularly just dump the coffee in the pot while I'm here in C.A. Some friends use French presses. The coffee settles better if the grounds are coarser, but I use fine ground coffee regularly. You just have to wait 20 minutes for the grounds to settle, or strain it the first cup. The more expensive French presses don't clear the coffee any better than just waiting for the grounds to settle. Sometimes there is a bit of fine settlement in the bottom of the cup, but I just am in the habit of never drinking the bottom. I do try to keep the coffee from boiling because of the health disadvantages I have read about, most don't bother about such things. Making coffee in a pot is about like boiling an egg, a hot dog or a potatoes. But, like was mentioned, you can just rip the filter part out of a coffee maker and just pour hot water in it.
    Some of the best coffee I've ever had was made boiling the water, then pouring it into a carafe (slowly) with a filter filled with coffee at the mouth of the carafe. No bitterness with this method. Boiling coffee causes bitterness.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

I used to use one of these. Filter and coffee in the cone. You can set it on a cup or on a pot. just pour the boiling water in and let er drip.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by RBB View Post
    Egg coffee: No shell, just the egg. Dump your grounds into the water and add a raw egg (no shell) Stir the grounds together with the egg. After the coffee is cooked, you can remove the egg (with grounds) or leave it in. The real coffee lovers among you may want to eat the boiled egg.
    I've never heard that one before.
    I guess it could work if you want breakfest and coffe.

Someone said you don't want the coffee to boil. That's true. The extra heat brings out the bitterness, but some people like that. Letting the coffee sit for more than 7 minutes will also bring out the bitter chemicals.

I've used a french press at work. It makes good full-bodied coffee but it's a pain to clean. The secret to good coffee is cleaning all your equipment every day.

I use a bialetti Moka Express. Makes the BEST trail coffee in the world. I recently figured out it works well with a Trangia burner too. Mine is not near as nice looking as this 9 cup model...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bulrush View Post
    Someone said you don't want the coffee to boil. That's true. The extra heat brings out the bitterness, but some people like that. Letting the coffee sit for more than 7 minutes will also bring out the bitter chemicals.

I've used a french press at work. It makes good full-bodied coffee but it's a pain to clean. The secret to good coffee is cleaning all your equipment every day.
    My trapping partner and I use a coffee press out on the trap line.......I don't think its ever been washed.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

a bialetti Moka Express? A coffee press on the trap line?

Hopeak, you're right. I apologize. All the "real" men are gone. What would Daniel Boone think? "Under this here tree I killed a .5 liter of Mint Chocolaty Chip Frappuccino blended cre'me with Chocolate Whipped Cream".
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.