Thread: Black Morels, And a Recipe

Default Black Morels, And a Recipe

just thought i'd share my little score today, and the recipe i came up with.

one little quirk of Morels which does not seem to be common knowledge is that they are sometimes introduced into landscaping where chipped conifers like douglas fir are used as a mulch. over the following year, they grow into the soil, form sclerotia and fruit for one or two years, often prolifically. there are about a dozen such landscaped areas of the right age in my town, around shopping and office plazas.

i scored a decent little haul yesterday, so what's a hippy to do?

Stufed Morels:

1 Egg.
    1 Splash milk.
    1/2 Cup Wheat flour.
    1/8lb Minced ham.
    1/8 Cup Minced onions.
    1 Tbs Butter.
    1/4 Cup Sour Cream.
    1 tsp. Salt.
    Chopped fresh Basil.
    Olive oil.
    4 Saltine crackers, crumbled.
    6 medium sized morels, halved, plus any undersized ones you happened to find.

Baking sheet
    couple small mixing bowls.

Preheat small saucepan over medium flame. add onions and basil to preference, i've never felt it possible to over-do it with basil. brown briefly, stirring all the while. add any small morels, minced, and cook till done, stirring occasionally.

Reduce heat to low, and add sour cream, ham and salt, stir, and simmer covered for 10 min.

oil the baking sheet and preheat oven for 400f. mix egg, milk and most of the flour, and dip the morel halves, shaking off any excess. coat in remaining flower, and place open side up on baking sheet. remove stuffing from heat and fill morel halves by spoon.

spoon remaining egg batter to cover stuffing on morels, sprinkle with saltine crumbs to coat and bake 20 min.

portion with any remaining stuffing, garnish and serve hot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Try using crab mix for your stuffing!
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

canid, that was one of the most complete step by step recipes I've seen here! Nice job.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Canid, personally I don't like morel mushrooms but I hunt them for a friend of mine. It gives me an excuse to get out in the woods. But, your recipe sounds absolutely delicious. I am going to print it out and give it to my buddy. Thanks.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

Sounds yummy Canid,morels have already been found around my area,just getting too many work hours to get out there to hunt right now,ggggrrrrrr.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I have to say that I've never had morels, nor ever seen them except for pictures. I guess they don't grow in my area, at least I haven't found any.

Of course there is a high probability that I don't know what I'm doing. I've seen all kinds of mushrooms from little black ones to medium sized blaze orange ones in the woods, but none that look like the pictures I have seen of the morel. I would like to try them if I ever have the opportunity.

Ag

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmm.....

So, Ag, where abouts do you live? Morels grow just about everywhere! Just be sure you also know what "false Morels" look like, but they're easy to tell apart if you know what to look for.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

And be carefull not to pick 'questionable morels' !

Sorry.

I'll get my coat!
    It's a dog eat dog world out there

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    So, Ag, where abouts do you live? Morels grow just about everywhere! Just be sure you also know what "false Morels" look like, but they're easy to tell apart if you know what to look for.

Sarge,
    About the only thing I know about mushrooms is, eating the wrong ones can cause very undesirable health issues such as death. So I wouldn't even attempt to consume any unless I was 100% sure of what they were.

I didn't know there are "false" morels. I thought I had heard they grew just about every where, but wasn't sure. I think I will ask around and see if I can find someone close by that knows mushrooms.

Oh yeah, as for where I live, Ag Nettogrof

Quote Originally Posted by Ag Nettogrof View Post
    Sarge,
    About the only thing I know about mushrooms is, eating the wrong ones can cause very undesirable health issues such as death. So I wouldn't even attempt to consume any unless I was 100% sure of what they were.

I didn't know there are "false" morels. I thought I had heard they grew just about every where, but wasn't sure. I think I will ask around and see if I can find someone close by that knows mushrooms.

Yes, Morels grow in Georgia

To me a false Morel doesn't even look close to the real thing, but I guess enough people have made that mistake to earn its name.

Blog Entries

Talking Morel Mania!

Quote Originally Posted by grundle View Post
    Yes, Morels grow in Georgia

To me a false Morel doesn't even look close to the real thing, but I guess enough people have made that mistake to earn its name.
    1st, Morels are not really mushrooms, they're considered an "edible fungus," (Sounds appetizing, I know.) & resemble a sponge or a small brain.(Now you're really gettin' hungry.) 3rd, true Morels come up in the spring & early summer & are hollow while the false Morel is solid, has a "skirt " around the base, & shows up in the fall. If ever in doubt, ship any you find to me & I'll test 'em out! Meanwhile, check out this site & scroll down all the way to the bottom & you'll find an article on False Morels as well as a ton of other info on Morels!http://www.morelmania.com/info.html; here's another one for eveyone to drool over:http://www.morelmadness.com/ Enjoy
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ag Nettogrof View Post
    Dade County, Georgia???

Forgotten Ga. county now in spotlight over water rights
    By GREG BLUESTEIN

Associated Press Writer

"Residents of Dade County have spent much of their history feeling ignored by the rest the state. For decades people had to cut through Alabama or Tennessee to get to the county in the northwest corner of Georgia, and some residents still get key services from out of state. It even got left off the state quarter.

"We always seem to be an afterthought," says Ben Brandon, the county's chief executive.

But the county of 16,000 is finally getting some attention thanks to a historic drought - and the fact that it's the only part of Georgia that's a stone's throw from the massive Tennessee River."
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...stateline.html
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Thanks for those links Sarge, Morel Mania looks to have a lot of info.

Edible fungus, Brains, It'll take more than that to turn my stomach. About the only thing I don't care for is bugs/worms (tried them), possum(tried it) and pole cat (never tried it but it just stinks too bad).

I know an ole boy that may know about these kind of things so I'll go see what he has to say.

Ken, I'm just a little bit south of the State of Dade (Dade County Ga) and rite nigh DeKalb County Ala. Born and raised on this mountain.

Ag.

morels are certainly mushrooms, but not Agarics, the gilled mushrooms with well defined stipes which the word calls to mind for most people. all mushrooms are fungi, whether basidiomycetes or ascomycetes.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.