Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Survivor:The CBS TV show.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierarcher View Post
    I saw the"Sticky" post about Survivrman v Man VS Wild and thought I'd like to discuss CBS's Survivor.
    I haven't watched this from the very beginning of the series but watched the last three seasons. It blows my mind that these people know months ahead of time that they are going and where they are going and almost all of them do absolutely nothing to get ready for living in harsh conditions. If it weren't for the fact that the usually include at least one country boy or ex military guy per tribe they'd be hopeless. Even after they win a challenge that gets them fishing gear they barely catch fish, let alone how they do without it. This season they actually provided beans and rice. In past seasons it has been rice only. Only one Survivor member to date has made fire before getting the Air Force Donne magnesium and ferro rod firestarter. She employed another tribe members glasses. Speaking of the magnesium and ferro rod starters, everytine I watch someone use it they are beating the heck out of it trying to use brute force to make the sparks jump out and ignite their tinder. Hour upon hour of luckless attempts it's infuriating to watch.
    Oh speaking of the beans provided this season, NO ONE knew how to cook them from a dry state. Last Season the eldest player won the million PLUS the TV audience vote 100K and he was the guy that was most able to survive in the wild. He rebuilt their shelter, and made benches from scratch. He made traps for both land animals and fish. And you know what CBS did, failed to show him use them for fear of upsetting animal rights activists. The one animal they showed them eat was a turtle one of his traps had caught.
    My last problem with the show is that from day one now the tribe members are looking for ways to blind side other tribe members. They spend no time at all trying to build a team that can win challenges and there by avoid tribal councils. In short there is no real sense of tribe, just petty bickering and conflicts of personality.
    I'd like to see a show along similar lines where if you actually did something to better help the tribe survive you were immune from removal. If you are one of the ones that just lays around in camp you're gone. I'd also like to see this show done where one team has be to Hood"s Woods type of classes and the other is just "off the street." And the tribe that took the classes took them together before the show started and have already done team building exercises and have had to work together to get tasks done. In other words give one tribe a dramatic head start. What opinions to you folks have about the show?
    For some reason, my wife really likes this show. Personally, I think it should be named "How Not To Survive." As you say, the petty back biting and blind-siding are counter=productive to the "tribes" survival.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

Quote Originally Posted by endurance View Post

Discovery did a series called The Alaska Experiment last year that was far from perfect, but was none the less interesting. Four groups of total city slickers dropped off at remote cabins in the Alaska wilderness forced to fend for themselves for three months in the fall (I think it was September-ish thru December-ish). They were given carbs like rice & potatoes, but no proteins or fats. They had to put up their own firewood, catch their own fish, and some groups were given 1-2 days with a big game guide to secure meat, but then they had to can or smoke their own food. Again, group dynamics played a larger role than real survival for the most part, but it wasn't set up that way as much (although one family was particularly dysfunctional early on, but did improve).

There was one real adventure during the filming that probably scared the $#!* out of the producers and camera crew. A group of three decided to hike to their neighbors cabin, just 40 miles away. They packed for eight days, four days there, four days back. Ha! You're not going to do 10 miles a day in Alaska. In the end they were so dehydrated they were suffering from auditory halucinations, hypothermia, and I'm sure the crew had to intervene, but it wasn't shown. It also had some good scenes of one couple slowly losing their minds to cabin fever, but fortunately, their visitors from the other cabin saved them from what could have been pretty tragic.

IMHO.
    I was on another forum and got to talking with the father from the "dysfunctional" family quite a bit. He said you've got to understand that they have the camera on you all the time and of course they picked out the very worst footage of conflict between him and his daughters. He said, for the most part, they got on together very well and really did better, or as well as, the other groups.

I remember thinking, when the group from California decided to walk to the cabin 40 miles away, "This is not going to turn out well."

Without a trail, I wouldn't care to walk 40 miles in Minnesota in the winter - and we don't have near the up and down depicted in the show.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan