Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survival idea...

Default Survival idea...

An idea for those interested...

I've noticed the trash along the roadsides and I think there is a lesson to be learned and shared. If we walk 1/2 mile on one side and 1/2 mile back while picking up the trash We could share via pics/info our haul of trash and intended uses .

So, what do you think about this idea? If you like the idea, when would you want to do it?

During my scheduled community service as ordered by the courts.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

They're not always good ideas.

I actually think it's a great idea. It not only cleans up a mile of highway, it recycles the material and offers the possibility that you wind up with something useful you didn't have to pay for.

My problem is my gimpy arm doesn't let me do much right now.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Just kidding on the court ordered thing. I am consantly picking up trash as I go for walks, be it in the woods or along the side of the street. Usually just to throw in a trash can, but I often think - "wonder what I could make out of that." So yeah, good idea Rebel.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

There's a difference, too, on your reasons for picking up trash. Lemme explain. When walking, and I see junk/trash on the ground, I'll pick it up and toss it into a trash can. However, if I was in a situation like when Survivorman goes off somewhere without gear, that old Coke can becomes a way for him to collect and drink water. The old piece of cardboard goes to make shelter.

Rebel, is that what you mean? Depending upon what you find, what could you do with it if you were not carrying your gear? I think it's a great idea.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelius95 View Post
    There's a difference, too, on your reasons for picking up trash. Lemme explain. When walking, and I see junk/trash on the ground, I'll pick it up and toss it into a trash can. However, if I was in a situation like when Survivorman goes off somewhere without gear, that old Coke can becomes a way for him to collect and drink water. The old piece of cardboard goes to make shelter.

Rebel, is that what you mean? Depending upon what you find, what could you do with it if you were not carrying your gear? I think it's a great idea.
    That's what I mean.

I've noticed the most trash next to on ramps at highways. I guess folks don't have things secured well enough when they accelerate to highway speeds.

If we do this, lets all be very careful around roads. It's not worth your life.

edit: I just remembered something from my younger days. A friend of mine was walking home from the grocery store one evening and began finding cans of food. He thought someones groceries had fallen out of their truck. Then he found a body. That person was returning home with their sack of groceries when they were hit and killed.
    Last edited by rebel; 03-25-2009 at 07:34 AM.

I Try And Clean Up When I Hike..... But I've Been In Some Remote Areas, And Found Some Very Strange Things That Far Out.... Up North 15 Miles From Anything Like A Town, A Brandnew Toilet With The Manufacture Tag Still On It All Shot Up. It Was On A Hill Not Near Any Roads. Sooooo Why? lol
    "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived."

-George Patton

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    We could share via pics/info our haul of trash and intended uses .
    Why would you want pics of trash someone picked up on the side of the road? I can tell you what I plan to do with it...distribute it along the side of the road clandestinely.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

I can point you to at least 30 LEFT shoes I have seen the last week lying on the highway or shoulder of the road.

I have no idea where the right shoes are.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Great idea I'm in. Say when.
    Well why not?

(head slap) Not pictures of the trash! (Oh, brother). Pictures of what you MAKE....CONSTRUCT....BUILD....MANUFACTURE....
    FABRICATE...FORM...CREATE....FORGE.....MILL.....SH APE....PROCESS....TURN OUT...or otherwise....CONCOCT with said trash.
    Last edited by Rick; 03-28-2009 at 07:22 PM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    (head slap) Not pictures of the trash! (Oh, brother). Pictures of what you MAKE....CONSTRUCT....BUILD....MANUFACTURE....
    FABRICATE...FORM...CREATE....FORGE.....MILL.....SH APE....PROCESS....TURN OUT...or otherwise....CONCOCT with said trash.
    You said "CREATE" twice here. Which is it?
    Last edited by Rick; 03-28-2009 at 07:22 PM.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I did? Okay, if you say so.

Blog Entries

I did? Okay, if you say so.
    It's a real cheap shot when you modify my post as well as yours.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

But you have to admit, I'm thorough.

Blog Entries

But you have to admit, I'm thorough.
    Yes. That's true. You'd make a good defendant.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I am...was. I was defending my actions.

Surprising what you can find alongside the road. I used to pick-up quite a few items when I rode my bike everywhere. Surprisingly, one of the items I found a lot were vise-grip pliers. I must have found a couple of dozen over the course of one summer.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate