Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surviving in secret

i decided to live in the woods this summer.

Was thinking about digging a decent hole and having my fires in there?
    Thinking about "gilly suiting" the tent.
    Whats the reason its being deemed difficult to not be discovered?
    My camp can be as modest as just a tent, is it still to noticable?
    i can grab food in bulk and store it.
    I never camped to this degree before.
    I would take an umbrella.
    im thinking of filling a 3L plastic bottle.
    is it safe to wash clothes in streams?
    The latrine idea is going to be valuable.
    so im guessing ill need a shovel and perhaps a hatchet.
    Im excited to see how my body adapts to lifting rocks and hiking miles each day.
    I may be coming off as inexperienced because... i am.
    I know nothing empirically about LIVING in the woods.

i feel this is my last chance to do something "crazy" like this.
    Even if you get permission, it probably will be....
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

This may break the record for Intro Replies!

Nah. I think the record is about 118.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

On Intro's???

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I guess the definition of long board has changed. I'm assuming you mean skateboard and not the 13 foot long surfboard used for large waves.
    During the winter months a few kids from California who needed to surf crafted ~10 foot long skateboards to get a similar thrill. The board was called a longboard. It has no changed to ~5 feet, which is the style i own. Bigger wheels too. Made for travel, not for tricks. I know its a survival forum so sorry for the irrelevance.

Not irrelevant. I just wanted to make sure I knew what you were talking about. Who knows - might come in handy some day.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Not irrelevant. I just wanted to make sure I knew what you were talking about. Who knows - might come in handy some day.
    That I'd love to see...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmythehat View Post
    Thank you (last post), im pretty skillful on a longboard....
    A new Forum Department:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Colorado Springs, CO wildography's Avatar
    Colorado Springs, CO; I've lived in 9 states, traveled through 32 others

All good replies above...

Here is a thread where I went camping in a public park... but just for two nights;

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=6260

That has some related info.

For a fire, you might try using a "Dakota Pit" (do a search for that phrase to see how/what). Also, build the fire under a tree to help disperse smoke... and keep any fire small and short-lived... though you might try (as suggested in the thread/link above) a "firebed" - but not in the tent!!! .

Also, vary your entry/exit points; watch for people in "your area" anytime that you are within 1/4 mile of your tent area; use brush/grass/etc to camoflauge your tent location; spend as little "non-sleeping" time as possible around your tent... hang out at the library, in town, etc during your "free time" or find a quiet spot at least 1/4 mile from your tent to hang out; use a laundramat to thoroughly clean your clothes, but use a stream/etc to wash out socks/etc between those times; leave minimal signs of your presence within 1/4 mile of your tent site - be aware of footprints/wood gathering/trash/etc...

hope that helps...
    all men die; few truly live

Jimmythehat,
    It doesn't sound like you have really thought this through. It also doesn't sound like you have ever been to college. College people love to party. That means they like to find remote places, out in the woods, to party and toke a little. This means they will be finding you sometimes, at night.

Now, you said you don't have the money for housing. Do you have money for fines? I can see you breaking several laws: camping on private or public property, trespassing, illegal open fire, illegal sewer (your latrine in the woods), littering (I know you don't intend to litter, but if "da man" finds a single bag of garbage, he can call it litter).

You don't have money for fines? Oh well. Will a little jail time ruin your resume?

Whats up guys, just stumbled onto this site so ill give you the quick scoop. I decided to spend this coming summer taking courses at my college. I realized that housing would cost me $2,000. This is about $2,000 more than I have and to my luck my campus has woods close by (7 1/2 miles?). In the past i would always enjoy going hiking in the woods and i decided to live in the woods this summer. I would be coming into campus every few days for class so i could shower and stock up on food which is no worry. I scouted out where im going to live this summer but it isn't as secluded as i though. At best i can manage about a mile between me and a house. As this semester is widiling down i am trying to make sure i have everything planned. I have a nice 3 man tent, survival knife, bear mace, radio, fishing supplies, lighter, ziplock bags, bug spray, ect. A few questions for you guys would be A) How to live in the woods w/out people finding me (any serious suggestions would be apprectiated) B) what crucial items may i forget C) has anyone on this forum ever done such a thing? Also is it safe to wash clothes in streams? As you can tell im new to the ropes of actually surviving in the wild but my motivation is strong. Any help is most Appreciated. -Nick-
    This is unlikely to work for you for any extended period of time. People, especially kids, have a tendency to roam in any woods near a population center. I often get calls about this sort of thing, and if there's any appreciably damage to flora - or clean up costs - charges are sometimes preferred.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

Im in no way bragging about breaking the law but rather asking you to look past that and give me advice. If you cant look past that aspect of my inquisition im pretty much SOL.
    We are adults here and adults do not ignore the law like you just asked us to above. You asked for our advice: don't break the law, and get some more experience before you "camp" for a whole summer.

We're not saying don't do it. We're just trying to keep you out of jail, or from seriously harming yourself with giardia, food poisoning (how will you keep opened food cold?), falling branches, forest fires, and drunk college students wandering through your camp.

This link will give you SOME survival hints, like starting a fire, using tinder, building a fire, and water purification.
    http://www.geocities.com/csroberts/survival.htm

As a person who has had giardia, it is something I will never ever forget. 4 weeks of never-ending gawd-awful squirts.

"Ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod...again???? WTH? Please god, make it end, please please please..."

Colorado Springs, CO wildography's Avatar
    Colorado Springs, CO; I've lived in 9 states, traveled through 32 others

again, all good posts, and advice above...

however, we were all young once, and I know that many of us have done things that we managed to survive but ended up saying, "boy, that was really stupid".

(With a few notable exceptions from a few notable "liars" - grin! )

that's part of growing up... is doing things that cause us to learn, and to grow... and to hope that "the good Lord protects us when we are idiots".

so... bottom line is... if you're gonna do something "stupid", at least try to prepare yourself so that you can "live through" the "lesson" with minimal impact on your future life.

One of the "criteria" that I used to use when I did "stupid" things in Yosemite - like "free-solo" rock climbing - was:

"if I make a mistake, and SAR (Yosemite search & rescue) has to come get me"... then, I wouldn't do it. So, I did some things, and went some places, in Yosemite that some people would call "stupid", but because I prepared, and trained, and practiced my criteria of "SAR not coming to get me", SAR never had to... and I learned some very valuable lessons...
    all men die; few truly live

What are your backgrounds, are you all boy scouts (i never was) or have u done what i aspire to do?
    What A bold statement by some one who is asking for advice and don't know anyone on this site. (being polite).

Unless I am mistaken, there are members on this forum that have experiences that would send most whinny butts back to thier dorm room or home for some mother comfort. Some of the adventuresd were planned before hand, some not, some caused by nature. some cause by other humans. They must have survived or they wouldn't be posting/sharing thier knowledge.

Next- your a Biology major. Try to get you summer long camping arrangement officialy sanctioned by your department. Call it a field study, or an independent research project. But come up with an angle so that you can approach the land owner and the local authorities with your "project" and get permission to conduct your "research". Then you can have a clear conscious as you go about your business, and maybe even get college credit to boot!
    Good Point Jason.
    Maybe he could write a term/thesis paper or even get it published based upon his learned experience. If he is going for a Masters or PHD it could make the difference.

As a person who has had giardia, it is something I will never ever forget. 4 weeks of never-ending gawd-awful squirts.

"Ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod...again???? WTH? Please god, make it end, please please please..."
    If you were still in the bush, the only suggestion I could offer would be take a knife and cut/rip the whole *** out of your pants because you won't have time to pull them down
    Last edited by Beans; 03-27-2009 at 02:03 PM. Reason: information added
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Getting a job and affording housing would ruin my plans for living in the woods lol. In other words, housing is a legitimate option but i honestly WANT to live in the woods. I would take an umbrella also, and im thinking of filling a 3L plastic bottle each time i go to campus (perhaps more based on empirical knowledge). I feel that if i got "busted" it wouldn't be the worst charge in the world to have on a transcript, and nothing that cant be talked around. I am surprised there are only a few members who actually think it would be down right fun to live in the woods, i sort of thought that was what this site was all about (no disrespect). The latrine idea is going to be valuable so im guessing ill need a shovel and perhaps a hatchet. None of you mentioned bears (is it rare)? I like the idea of using different entrances/exits. Im excited to see how my body adapts to lifting rocks and hiking miles each day. I want to see if nature starts to accept me, by not startling squirrels/deer ect. I want to be 50 years old and be able to know that i survived in the woods (although not solely) when i "was a kid" (20/21). Isn't it fun to be out in the "wild" and not see any businesses and such??? I think i have my whole life to be an active member of society (im not a loser im at the top of my class and aspire to be an orthodontist/oral surgon) and i feel this is my last chance to do something "crazy" like this. Reassure me im not the only kid who has the urge to go "primative" to some degree. What is the point of knowing all this stuff you guys are telling me without actually trying it. What are your backgrounds, are you all boy scouts (i never was) or have u done what i aspire to do? I ask you to reassure me this is a huge "rasta" experience, not to say the least!
    Living alone in the wilderness is one thing. Trying to live in a town woods without anyone coming across you for months on end - is something else altogether. If you want an interesting experience while going to college - try living as a city homeless person. Learn about dumpster diving and sleeping and eating at missions.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

Blog Entries

Cool Don't forget...

...the guy lives in Pennsylvania where the winters are at sub-zero most of the time. Can you spell Hypothermia? Frostbite? Chris McCandless aka Alexander Supertramp?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Arrrrggg!!!

Quote Originally Posted by remy View Post
    I believe it's just for the summer Sarge.
    NOOO!!! Not the summer! that's when the ZOMBIES come out!!!!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Hey! What's with that? Fluffy Pink Bunnies!!!!!!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hey guys! I seem to be getting alot of hatred from some of the more experienced memebers on the site. I find this humorous and was thinking that upon revealing my inexperience i would be offered help on the whole (thank you for those members who did help me, i value your advice). Now sarge i know your very cunning an will say you are helping me to because im "dead" or "arrested" if I attempt this (which may be a legitamate point). I just wanted to thank you guys for your time posting to help me out, even if it was in a condescending manner. Bad news however. I visited my advisor yesterday who informed me I need many more (ex. any) extracurricular activities to be seriously considered into a dental school. I still consider this BS as im rocking a 3.91 right now in a legit predental major, but i think its stupid to not take her advice. I need to get a job, shadow a dentist, double up on course load, and research w/ my teacher this summer. Juggling all this will make primitive lifestyle difficult for now. Believe me though, i was not "scared" out of this adventure. Diarrhea and needing to sneak around were my two favorite aspects from the start! I am going to live w/ my girl on campus this summer, but I am definatly going to "camp" over weekends and when my schedule allows. This next summer ('10) I will then have to go "balls deep" in my passion, and i feel (like you said) a weekend here and there this summer will prep me adequately for such a journey. I never was intending to be insulting when i asked if you were all previously boy scouts and i was shocked to hear some members thought i was coming off as cocky. This wasn't my goal or true at all. Again, other than going on day hikes w/ my friend I was unaware of this subculture. The only idea I was able to come up with was that boy scouts would be into this type of website, which is why i came to the conclusion. Member from Colorado (forget your user name) thanks alot. I think we see eye to eye on this whim i am having (somewhat). I think it is a learning experience and again one of the biggest reasons i am going to end up doing this in life (the illegality is not an allure, a legal camp would give me the same satisfaction) is so i can sit back when im older and think of the previous members of our species who were so successful at wilderness survival that we evolved enough to create/understand treatments for cancers ect. I feel it would be rewarding to have experienced what they did, however small scale it may be. I have the odd belief that its the least i can do to "pay respect" to my roots, and then move on and hopefully become very successful in today's society correcting smiles and the like. Hope all of you stay safe when "surviving" in the wilderness. You will hear back from me with updates of how weekend trips turned out, and your sure to hear how the actual expedition goes in a year. Hope all of you are enjoying your lives to the fullest and are motivated and blessed enough to tackle every goal you've ever set in life. All the Best -Nick-