Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Surviving in secret

Default Surviving in secret

Whats up guys, just stumbled onto this site so ill give you the quick scoop. I decided to spend this coming summer taking courses at my college. I realized that housing would cost me $2,000. This is about $2,000 more than I have and to my luck my campus has woods close by (7 1/2 miles?). In the past i would always enjoy going hiking in the woods and i decided to live in the woods this summer. I would be coming into campus every few days for class so i could shower and stock up on food which is no worry. I scouted out where im going to live this summer but it isn't as secluded as i though. At best i can manage about a mile between me and a house. As this semester is widiling down i am trying to make sure i have everything planned. I have a nice 3 man tent, survival knife, bear mace, radio, fishing supplies, lighter, ziplock bags, bug spray, ect. A few questions for you guys would be A) How to live in the woods w/out people finding me (any serious suggestions would be apprectiated) B) what crucial items may i forget C) has anyone on this forum ever done such a thing? Also is it safe to wash clothes in streams? As you can tell im new to the ropes of actually surviving in the wild but my motivation is strong. Any help is most Appreciated. -Nick-

Not sure how secret you will be there. Someone will more than likely see the tent and if you have a fire going, which you will they could see the smoke and at night see the flames. Depends on how often people use those woods. There are lots of threads on here you should check out for survival kits and gear that are must haves.

Why not try to find the owner of the area, explain what you want to do and get permission to camp there FOR THE SUMMER?????
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Hey Nick - this is usually where I ask people to head to the Introduction section and tell us a bit about themselves, but you did pretty good here. As to your questions:

A: Living a clandestine existence while commuting back and forth to school may be a bit difficult. Why the need to remain hidden? Is it that you don't want to be bothered, or is it a legal issue (no camping, squatting, etc.)?

B: I'll take a closer look at your list and give it some more thought.

C: I did not do it while going to school, and I did not attempt to remain hidden, but I spent a few months while traveling on a motorcycle just finding a place to pitch a tent and staying for a bit.

As to your question about washing clothing in streams. Please do not do this. If you use detergent, you will be causing harm to the eco system. There are bio degradable detergents available, but since you are planning on being there quite a while, set up a wash tub and board (doesn't have to be big).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Almost thinking i would be better off just going for it. Was thinking about digging a decent hole and having my fires in there? Also thinking about "gilly suiting" the tent and other items

Its a legal issue. One of my main lures to doing this is because i am a biology major and i have a true interest in nature and i want to see how i would be accepted in this enviroment, so i am going to take all costs not to damage and ecosystems or niches. Also think this minor solitude would be life rewarding. Thanks for your continued posts. Whats the reason its being deemed difficult to not be discovered (other than fire)?

Just out of curiosity, do you have a "back-up/alternate" plan if this doesn't work out? I'm sure many here would agree that if you have never done this type of thing before you may end up realizing that it...well sucks. What would you do then. You said you could restock on food at school, what kind of food? Out of vending machines, that is not going to sustain you over the summer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmythehat View Post
    Its a legal issue.
    How so?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Its a legal issue. One of my main lures to doing this is because i am a biology major and i have a true interest in nature and i want to see how i would be accepted in this enviroment, so i am going to take all costs not to damage and ecosystems or niches. Also think this minor solitude would be life rewarding. Thanks for your continued posts. Whats the reason its being deemed difficult to not be discovered (other than fire)?
    As far as the legal issue, why not try and do it legally - that way you won't have the added stress of remaining hidden interfering with your enjoyment of the solitude? Yeah, fire and smoke is kind of a big giveaway. So is somebody traveling to and from a camp. Camouflaging your tent and using a Dakota Pit for your fire - It sounds as though there may be other issues at play here.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Many reasons. It would be very easy if it were only a few days or if you were constantly moving around. Depending on if people use those woods to hike, camp, explore or whatever. Also the bystanders that could see you enter and exit the woods on a regular basis might give you away as well. Makes it very difficult to stay hidden if people see you heading in there.

Im limited to my longboard and feet for transportation and no legal sites are close. Actual food from cafeterias i can grab in bulk and store (away from my camp). My camp can be as modest as just a tent, is it still to noticable. I think i would be cool to be "cat like" getting to and from my camp grounds, and i feel confident for the most part i can sneak around w/out being seen. Im more worried about someone stumbling on me. As for saying it "sucked" i was shocked to hear that on this site. I never camped to this degree before but it seems like its crazy fun. I have 3 books to occupy me, along w/ the work from classes i will be attending. There is a backup plan of taking a loan and getting a place but for obvious reasons this is going to be avoided. Is anyone in agreement that this sounds life rewarding? or am i alone on this facet????

You started your first post saying that you wanted to do this because housing was $2,000 and you didn't have it. Since it sounds as though you are not taking a full class load
    I would be coming into campus every few days for class so i could shower and stock up on food which is no worry.
    why not get a job so that you can pay for housing?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Im limited to my longboard and feet for transportation and no legal sites are close. Actual food from cafeterias i can grab in bulk and store (away from my camp). My camp can be as modest as just a tent, is it still to noticable. I think i would be cool to be "cat like" getting to and from my camp grounds, and i feel confident for the most part i can sneak around w/out being seen. Im more worried about someone stumbling on me. As for saying it "sucked" i was shocked to hear that on this site. I never camped to this degree before but it seems like its crazy fun. I have 3 books to occupy me, along w/ the work from classes i will be attending. There is a backup plan of taking a loan and getting a place but for obvious reasons this is going to be avoided. Is anyone in agreement that this sounds life rewarding? or am i alone on this facet????
    No I agree it would be fun and rewarding. But so many people get this fantasy in their head that living off the land and camping out is going to be so great, but once they do it are shocked to find out how uncomfortable and undesirable it can be. Let us know how you much fun you are having when you are covered with bug bites and wet from a rain storm that lasts 3 days. Not trying to "rain on your parade" but it's no bed of roses. Some live for that stuff and maybe you are one of them, others wouldn't last 2 days. I don't know the area so I couldn't tell you if you will get spotted or not. I know several places that I could do this in and never see a single person.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    You started your first post saying that you wanted to do this because housing was $2,000 and you didn't have it. Since it sounds as though you are not taking a full class load why not get a job so that you can pay for housing?
    I'm with crash on this. Get a summer job to pay for housing, you can still camp out for a week or two to get a feel for what it's like and get that "experience" you're looking for. Then maybe the next year you can do your plan.

If i am not mistaken, Cody Lundin camped for years while going to school.

I'll tell you what, when you don't have money in your pockets it tends to change your perspective on a lot of things.
    Survival is not for the faint of heart

Nick - There are a lot of things you need to consider. You'll want build a latrine, a slit trench or something reasonably decent to handle human waste. 3 months is quite a bit of time so cat holes are not going to be a good answer. You'll want to locate it at least 50 feet away from the nearest water source so you don't contaminate your water. I'm thinking about runoff from a hard rain not ground leaching but depending on the soil that could also be a problem I suppose.

What type of water purification have you planned for? I didn't see where you are located so I don't know the quality of the water but you won't want to drink it raw especially if you are downstream from any commercial or farming property or any municipal waste plants.

You don't really say what your skill sets are but your list seems a bit lacking. 1. You have very little in the way of fire making. You need several ways to create fire. The lighter is good but you want to have some backups like a second lighter, fire steel, tinder, etc. 2) A 3 man tent is doable if it's a 2 wall tent. A single wall will probably create a lot of condensation on the inside. Most singles do even when they are fully ventilated. If you can live with that then you'll be okay. It would be nice to toss a wool blanket in there. Walking back in a cold rain after class will keep you cold and miserable throughout the night with nothing more than you listed. At least a wool blanket will give you something reasonably soft to sleep on in the good times and keep you warm in the bad.
    3. As I mentioned above, you need to make some serious plans for not only purifying water but some way to store it as well. You'll need no less than 1 gallon a day for drinking and hygiene when you don't have class. DO NOT use milk cartons to store water in. 1L sode bottles are okay.

Finally, I concur with every one else on here. Get permission. If the owner does stumble onto your camp site while you are in class you might find yourself arrested for trespassing and all your belongings confiscated by the owner.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Getting a job and affording housing would ruin my plans for living in the woods lol. In other words, housing is a legitimate option but i honestly WANT to live in the woods. I would take an umbrella also, and im thinking of filling a 3L plastic bottle each time i go to campus (perhaps more based on empirical knowledge). I feel that if i got "busted" it wouldn't be the worst charge in the world to have on a transcript, and nothing that cant be talked around. I am surprised there are only a few members who actually think it would be down right fun to live in the woods, i sort of thought that was what this site was all about (no disrespect). The latrine idea is going to be valuable so im guessing ill need a shovel and perhaps a hatchet. None of you mentioned bears (is it rare)? I like the idea of using different entrances/exits. Im excited to see how my body adapts to lifting rocks and hiking miles each day. I want to see if nature starts to accept me, by not startling squirrels/deer ect. I want to be 50 years old and be able to know that i survived in the woods (although not solely) when i "was a kid" (20/21). Isn't it fun to be out in the "wild" and not see any businesses and such??? I think i have my whole life to be an active member of society (im not a loser im at the top of my class and aspire to be an orthodontist/oral surgon) and i feel this is my last chance to do something "crazy" like this. Reassure me im not the only kid who has the urge to go "primative" to some degree. What is the point of knowing all this stuff you guys are telling me without actually trying it. What are your backgrounds, are you all boy scouts (i never was) or have u done what i aspire to do? I ask you to reassure me this is a huge "rasta" experience, not to say the least!

Nick - we can only provide you with answers based on the information that you provide us.
    but i honestly WANT to live in the woods
    That's cool, but at least to me, it did not come across that way in your first post.
    I feel that if i got "busted" it wouldn't be the worst charge in the world to have on a transcript, and nothing that cant be talked around.
    Ken may be better able to answer that, but as somebody who read approximately 25 resumes a week and conducted hundereds of job interviews, if I had the choice to hire two candidates of pretty much equal qualifications, the one without a criminal history would probably be my choice.
    I am surprised there are only a few members who actually think it would be down right fun to live in the woods, i sort of thought that was what this site was all about (no disrespect).
    No disrespect taken. Many here have spent a lot of time in the wilderness - hiking, camping, serving in the military - it's just good to go into a venture with your eyes wide open, knowing all of the pluses and minuses.
    None of you mentioned bears (is it rare)?
    Depends on where you are. If your school is the University of Hawaii - Penn State - University of Florida - you can understand that it all makes a difference - you know - location, location, location. Good luck with your adventure.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Now Now Jimmy!

Yo Jimbo! You talk a lot & expect us all to see things your way...NO way! You post that you're 20/21, that means you're an adult & I'm going to speak to you like one! You don't like the answers don't ask the questions...dig? Since I can't highlight worth a crap like Crash & some others I'm going through your post & putting my responses to certain things that you've said in brackets "[like this ]" with my name in caps, understand? Now let's see what you've written...

Getting a job and affording housing would ruin my plans for living in the woods lol. In other words, housing is a legitimate option but i honestly WANT to live in the woods. I would take an umbrella also, and im thinking of filling a 3L plastic bottle each time i go to campus (perhaps more based on empirical knowledge). I feel that if i got "busted" it wouldn't be the worst charge in the world to have on a transcript, and nothing that cant be talked around.

[SARGE: This will depend on where you live, BTW, Ken is a bona fide lawyer & several other members on here are cops so they're probably already checking your "Cyber-backtrail" to see just who you are & where your from, so you might want to re-think talking about breaking the law on here.]

I am surprised there are only a few members who actually think it would be down right fun to live in the woods, i sort of thought that was what this site was all about (no disrespect).

[SARGE: Ahh, but it WAS disrespectful Jimmy, we DO think it's fun to live in the woods, but not to the extent of showing up on the next episode of "COPS"! Quit merging your points, we're smarter than that!

The latrine idea is going to be valuable so im guessing ill need a shovel and perhaps a hatchet.

[SARGE: Huh? Thought you said you were a Biology Major! You definitely need to learn about "no-trace" camping, otherwise you'll soon be posting Ken for advice on survival of a different type.

None of you mentioned bears (is it rare)? I like the idea of using different entrances/exits. Im excited to see how my body adapts to lifting rocks and hiking miles each day. I want to see if nature starts to accept me, by not startling squirrels/deer ect. I want to be 50 years old and be able to know that i survived in the woods (although not solely) when i "was a kid" (20/21). Isn't it fun to be out in the "wild" and not see any businesses and such???

[SARGE: Yes, being out in the woods is fun, the rest of this section is just plain silly. You're coming off as a very inexperienced "Numpty".]

I think i have my whole life to be an active member of society (im not a loser im at the top of my class and aspire to be an orthodontist/oral surgon) and i feel this is my last chance to do something "crazy" like this.

[SARGE: You view this as "crazy? So do I! And, yes, if you ignore the advice given here, you're a loser. Survival is not a game, it's LIFE OR DEATH!!!! Quit frankly I don't know if you'll even see 50!]

Reassure me im not the only kid who has the urge to go "primative" to some degree. What is the point of knowing all this stuff you guys are telling me without actually trying it. What are your backgrounds, are you all boy scouts (i never was) or have u done what i aspire to do? I ask you to reassure me this is a huge "rasta" experience, not to say the least!

[SARGE: "rasta experience" "reassure you"? Okay, now I know you're just putting us on! Say hi to TBWN for us! BTW, I'm moving this post to the "introductions" forum.]
    Last edited by Sarge47; 03-23-2009 at 05:56 PM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin