Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Surviving in secret

Why do I hear Queen playing in the background?

Seriously? You have a girl friend. You had the opportunity to stay with her from the beginning and you chose to tramp in the woods. Right. Excuse me while I go reset the drag on my reel.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Yo Jimbo!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmythehat View Post
    Hey guys! I seem to be getting alot of hatred from some of the more experienced memebers on the site. I find this humorous and was thinking that upon revealing my inexperience i would be offered help on the whole (thank you for those members who did help me, i value your advice). Now sarge i know your very cunning an will say you are helping me to because im "dead" or "arrested" if I attempt this (which may be a legitamate point). I just wanted to thank you guys for your time posting to help me out, even if it was in a condescending manner. Bad news however. I visited my advisor yesterday who informed me I need many more (ex. any) extracurricular activities to be seriously considered into a dental school. I still consider this BS as im rocking a 3.91 right now in a legit predental major, but i think its stupid to not take her advice. I need to get a job, shadow a dentist, double up on course load, and research w/ my teacher this summer. Juggling all this will make primitive lifestyle difficult for now. Believe me though, i was not "scared" out of this adventure. Diarrhea and needing to sneak around were my two favorite aspects from the start! I am going to live w/ my girl on campus this summer, but I am definatly going to "camp" over weekends and when my schedule allows. This next summer ('10) I will then have to go "balls deep" in my passion, and i feel (like you said) a weekend here and there this summer will prep me adequately for such a journey. I never was intending to be insulting when i asked if you were all previously boy scouts and i was shocked to hear some members thought i was coming off as cocky. This wasn't my goal or true at all. Again, other than going on day hikes w/ my friend I was unaware of this subculture. The only idea I was able to come up with was that boy scouts would be into this type of website, which is why i came to the conclusion. Member from Colorado (forget your user name) thanks alot. I think we see eye to eye on this whim i am having (somewhat). I think it is a learning experience and again one of the biggest reasons i am going to end up doing this in life (the illegality is not an allure, a legal camp would give me the same satisfaction) is so i can sit back when im older and think of the previous members of our species who were so successful at wilderness survival that we evolved enough to create/understand treatments for cancers ect. I feel it would be rewarding to have experienced what they did, however small scale it may be. I have the odd belief that its the least i can do to "pay respect" to my roots, and then move on and hopefully become very successful in today's society correcting smiles and the like. Hope all of you stay safe when "surviving" in the wilderness. You will hear back from me with updates of how weekend trips turned out, and your sure to hear how the actual expedition goes in a year. Hope all of you are enjoying your lives to the fullest and are motivated and blessed enough to tackle every goal you've ever set in life. All the Best -Nick-
    This is by far the most intelligent, wisest, mature, responsible post I've read from you as of late. A lot of people confuse the 2 terms: ""Survival" & "Camping". They do NOT mean the same thing untill your camping trip goes south! By gaining experience in the outdoors you should achieve your goal of getting in tune with nature. Might I suggest finding an "outdoors group" of sorts in your area? It may take some work & research, but in the end what you learn will be of great benifit. Please don't confuse my previous concern for your safety & well-being as coming off as a "smart-azz". Such was not my intent. However I DO speak bluntly & honestly about what's on my mind so you'll know exactly where I stand. I, for one, did not take offense at your "Boy Scout" comment, but rather, was alarmed at what you were going to attempt to do with your total lack of experience. To me it would be like going into brain surgery with the surgeon being a high school senior who had just completed a semester of a "Health Class". I don't think that you were "scared out of it", either, you were just displaying wisdom, & that's nothing to be ashamed of. BTW, did you ever read "Into The Wild" by Jon Krakour? Great reading! Please feel free to browse the sticky on "Survival Books" as well as what's posted on the Blogs. Great prepatory study!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Exclamation

It's not hatred, it's simple fact. These guys live their lives under the main rule of RESPECT!! Respect for the land, respect for the animals, respect for the other man (this includes not tresspassing on their land). It is an insult to ask in this forum for help to disrespect the landowner. Don't be supprised if you get called out on it. All they were doing was trying to get you to go about it the right way (getting permission before squatting on someone's land). These guys will not sugarcoat anything for anyone, especially if what you are doing is WRONG!!!
    Now you can hate me too!!
    Last edited by catfish10101; 03-28-2009 at 12:34 PM.

So Nick.....the story about not having the money to stay on campus was forcing you to consider living in a clandestine fashion in the woods
    Jimmythehat said: I realized that housing would cost me $2,000. This is about $2,000 more than I have and to my luck my campus has woods close by (7 1/2 miles?).
    was what?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Or

Or

Or

Or

On a serious note. Good luck.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Nice smilies, Crash.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Don't get us wrong, we're not against you learning and getting a few bumps and bruises. But I personally draw the line at learning while losing a limb, or losing a life, or breaking the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    NOOO!!! Not the summer! that's when the ZOMBIES come out!!!!
    Are you referring to the freshmen that can't hold their liquor?

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Yes, but easily 60 posts were off topic...
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
    Yes, but easily 60 posts were off topic...

There's a topic?
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.