Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: worms as survival food ?

Thumbs up Wilderness Gourmet Eats!

Worms are gourmet food in the wilderness. . .yummmmmmmmm!
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Wink Just One Thing

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    There is not much old telephone guys haven't done. There's not much you can trust them with and not much you'd want them to keep an eye on. But you can rest assured we know where all the restaurants and coffee shops are and don't need to be eatin' wigglers.
    Working out of town for a few months I am sure we have had everything that walks or crawls in the only "restaurant" within 100 miles, except for my mind I don't think all those critters hurt me.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nativedude View Post
    Worms, ants and grubs are all excellent sources high protein that takes very little energy to find and harvest.

Worms taste like the fat of a pork chop. Most ants taste like a garlic sweet-tart, and grubs don't really have a taste. Although, if you just swallow them whole there is no taste.

And all three are a lot more proficient to get than trying to make snares, set snares and hoping to snare or trap animals.
    You got that right! One of my favorite spring time meals (next to blugill and morrel omlets) is night crawlers and maple seeds! Boil the worms ,gently squeeze the poop out, hull the raw maple seeds, throw 'em in a skillet with a little butter hummmmmmmmm!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Magneto
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Me and a friend came across one of these when I was twelve but we were having a hard time convincing folks to hold on to the ends of the bare wires.

My friends dad came to the rescue, soldered tin cans to the ends of the wires, then all we had to do was tell 'em to hold one can up to their ear and the other one to their mouth and say hello.

Got a couple dozen real good laughs out of it but then an elderly woman took notice and wanted to try it out. We were too young and too dumb to know better. That was our last demonstration.
    That which you sew, so shall ye reap.
    United States Blowgun Association

You will be hard pressed to find anything hurt quite like that magneto. Ring cycle, perhaps. But that little magneto will light you up.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Nope. Magneto. In your case, a magneto is inside the hand cranked megger.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Just a little note:
    This type of fishing is not legal in Louisiana, and probably in most states. (In a survival situation, you do what you have to, but be aware of what you face for it.)

Quote Originally Posted by catfish10101 View Post
    Just a little note:
    This type of fishing is not legal in Louisiana, and probably in most states. (In a survival situation, you do what you have to, but be aware of what you face for it.)
    If you are caught, throw the gadget in the drink, Run to the conservation officer and hug him yelling "Thank God Somebody found me!".
    Life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it.

Blog Entries

One day many years ago in a land far far away I was pulling watch duty. Well this truck pulls up to the gate. I pick up the receiver for the TA-312 field phone to get permission to let the truck in. As I started cranking on that phone I heard this blood curdling scream. I seems someone was connecting another phone. Come to find out the guy was stripping the wire with his teeth when I started cranking. I know it must have really hurt but it was just so funny that the truck driver and busted out laughing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by klkak; 02-09-2010 at 05:38 PM.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Sandworms and mangrove worms are traditional foods in Australia. Both also used as bait for beachfishing with much success. I find worms taste like ...eating a worm. Squidgy, kind of rich, very earthy with a hint of humus, haha. Certainly not as tasty as the things you could catch with it but if you are already digging say a sleeping hollow, a watertrap or a firepit and find a few along the way, they might come in handy.

Best time to hunt (possibly with a teeny tiny spear, or miniature bow :P ) is after decent rain, they get flooded up.

I've read that worms fart nitrous oxide, which is quite the party trick.
    my sense of self approval is bigger than yours. and I chose to be born in the most stupid country ever.