15 40.54%
  • trapping

16 43.24%
  • vehicle

4 10.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: hunting in a bug out scenario

I believe that Rick is on track. Katrina was a good example. A fairly large Metro area, historically with a significant gang and street violence problem. There were some isolated outbreaks of problems, but not as much as what one might have suspected. Although the gangs are organized, remember they are not sophisticated. By that I mean, when they start getting hungry, they have scarfed up the easy picking, I believe they will start to break down. Remember they have very limited skill sets that would translate to any survival situation other than attempting to terrorize folks. Especially when they start to take casualties as they spread out into the urban areas. These are the areas where typically there will be an armed and relatively capable citizenry. Just my nickels worth on the subject
    Last edited by Pal334; 11-05-2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: spelling
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Banned
    Blog Entries

If the SHTF it would not go well for gang members. First: They would use the lack of Law and Order to attack rival gang members. Second: There would not be much if any market for drugs. But their biggest problem is that no one likes them, so not only will every rival gang be trying to kill them, everyone will be trying to kill them. If the SHTF big-time the gangs would all be gone. Law and order is the only thing that protects the Gangs. With out Law and Order the local merchants would have a "Bounty" on them.

"With out Law and Order the local merchants would have a "Bounty" on them."

I think I could scrounge up a bunch of folks that would do it for free
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pal334 View Post
    "With out Law and Order the local merchants would have a "Bounty" on them."

I think I could scrounge up a bunch of folks that would do it for free
    True, I think most would throw down their "Colors" if the SHTF and realize they were targets walking. Remember the part at the end of the movie "Tombstone" when the cowboys are throwing off their red sashes, and Kurt Russell yelling, You tell them HELL is coming and I am coming also".

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    True, I think most would throw down their "Colors" if the SHTF and realize they were targets walking. Remember the part at the end of the movie "Tombstone" when the cowboys are throwing off their red sashes, and Kurt Russell yelling, You tell them HELL is coming and I am coming also".
    I have seen in my earlier days "colors" disappear when they started to get their a** kicked by the cops on a regular basis (circa 1977), Syracuse NY. Bullies and cowards sez I.

This is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth. I think any predator, bad guy included, has a fairly specific territory. It's where they are comfortable and anything outside that geography takes them out of their comfort zone so they are not too keen about doing that.

As for the hunting part, I wouldn't want to be in the woods under SHTF conditions. Anything that moves will probably get shot. Unintended or not.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The gangstas round here would head right on out to where the money, or goods is. Heck, they already do.

I'd be more worried bout organized extremist military groups trying to enforce their own idea of martial law.

rwc - IMHO, that might be a more real scenario. Those guys do "train" so it might be possible they could pose a threat. Hopefully, they would retreat to guard the "compound".
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I would skip out on carrying any type of shelter system whatsoever, instead relying on building a strong natural shelter. This would free up a few pounds to carry some good steel traps. Im not an experienced trapper or tracker, a baited connibear would be much more likely to get you a meal if you dont know what your doing. Just set it and wait. Snaring requires that you find and identify rabbit runs. Rat traps are also pretty good for getting smaller squirrels.
    This would cover my small game needs pretty well, and after they were set i would spend the rest of my time stalking a deer with a rifle. I would only resort to archery if security was a huge problem(probably not, if i have to bug out to the woods i would travel extremely deep as to avoid countryside gangs and find a more unspoiled source of game. I dont care if its deep in the alaskan bush, the dangers of staying in a semi rural or area close to a city are much higher than the harsh winters of the north, provided you have at least some experience in those conditions) or if i ran out of ammunition. In that case i would probably make a bow rather than carry one in.

Quote Originally Posted by justin_baker View Post
    I would skip out on carrying any type of shelter system whatsoever, instead relying on building a strong natural shelter. This would free up a few pounds to carry some good steel traps. Im not an experienced trapper or tracker, a baited connibear would be much more likely to get you a meal if you dont know what your doing. Just set it and wait. Snaring requires that you find and identify rabbit runs. Rat traps are also pretty good for getting smaller squirrels.
    This would cover my small game needs pretty well, and after they were set i would spend the rest of my time stalking a deer with a rifle. I would only resort to archery if security was a huge problem(probably not, if i have to bug out to the woods i would travel extremely deep as to avoid countryside gangs and find a more unspoiled source of game. I dont care if its deep in the alaskan bush, the dangers of staying in a semi rural or area close to a city are much higher than the harsh winters of the north, provided you have at least some experience in those conditions) or if i ran out of ammunition. In that case i would probably make a bow rather than carry one in.
    Any trap you use will require you to identify the area the animal uses as a path. You can bait an animal into a snare the same way you can a conibear, give them a single path to the food and set the trap in that path. A piece of wire is much lighter and really will serve the same purpose. Just my 2 cents.

i live right next to a small forest that has wild turkey
    so id brobably hunt them

there used to be deer in the forest, but i havent seen any in a while
    im not sure if they maybe died off

im pretty sure that if civilization were to collapse or something, the population would crash pretty quickly
    most people like in cities and have no clue how to survive at all

but then on the flip side, most people now are 100 lbs overweight and could probably survive just off of fat stores for a year
    haha

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crimescene450 View Post
    i live right next to a small forest that has wild turkey
    so id brobably hunt them

there used to be deer in the forest, but i havent seen any in a while
    im not sure if they maybe died off

im pretty sure that if civilization were to collapse or something, the population would crash pretty quickly
    most people like in cities and have no clue how to survive at all

but then on the flip side, most people now are 100 lbs overweight and could probably survive just off of fat stores for a year
    haha
    Hey there, CS450!

How about hunting your way over to our Introductions Section and telling us a bit about yourself!

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=7813
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I worked with hard core gang teens for several years.

Singley, they are very scared of the unknown. They like being in their own territory among their support group. They will not venture alone into the suburbs even in peacetime.

In packs, they are a little more brave but still have some very strong opinions about suburban, and espically rural people.

Out facility was in a rural area and we had almost zero escape attempts. They were afraid of the farmers. It is very odd, but being scared of the dark is very common among the gang members. Being out of sight of concrete and street lights is often terrifying for them.

Not so good with a stick bow, Thats why I bought my barnett wildcat crossbow.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I worked with hard core gang teens for several years.

Singley, they are very scared of the unknown. They like being in their own territory among their support group. They will not venture alone into the suburbs even in peacetime.

In packs, they are a little more brave but still have some very strong opinions about suburban, and espically rural people.

Out facility was in a rural area and we had almost zero escape attempts. They were afraid of the farmers. It is very odd, but being scared of the dark is very common among the gang members. Being out of sight of concrete and street lights is often terrifying for them.
    from my experience, most people i know who joined gangs have had a really bad life

one guy had an abusive mentally unstable dad
    and his mom started going crazy from the abuse
    he ran off at 15 and joined the gang

Not really sure how gangs got into the discussion. My belief is that unless you live near a grocery store or a mall, gangs are a temporary problem at best.

As for survival, I would rely primarily on trapping, supplementing that with hunting. Trapping is a far more efficient means of meat-gathering than taking shots at something that runs away from you.

That being said, if I see any kind of delicious monkey while I'm out setting snares, I'm shooting it.
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com