Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just one tree

Default Just one tree

If you could plant just one tree to help your homestead survive if civilization were to fail which would it be?

I'm going to say a pecan tree, pecans are high in calories, nuts in general keep a long time, and pecans also have the most antioxidants of nuts.

Of the non-nut trees the one that comes to mind is an avocado. Probably the most calorie dense non-nut fruiting tree you can grow, and, calorie density aside, are incredibly healthy. Not sure on long term storage though.

Blog Entries

Default Apples

Pecans won't survive up my way. An Apple Tree would be the way to go in Southern New England. McCouns. Good eating, and they keep for a long time. Preserve well, too.

Was it in the book Treasure Island where it was written that the captain kept barrels of apples on-board for whenever a man was hungry in order to prevent crew members from stealing food?
    Last edited by Ken; 03-17-2009 at 10:57 AM.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Walnuts. Walnuts contain high levels of antioxidants, L-arginine, and alpha-linoleic acid and are one of the best nuts you can eat. They are rich in fiber, B vitamins, magnesium, and antioxidants such as Vitamin E. Nuts in general are also high in plant sterols and fat - but mostly monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats (Omega 3 fatty acids - the good fats) that have been shown to lower LDL cholesterol. Walnuts, in particular, have significantly higher amounts of omega 3 fatty acids as compared to other nuts. There is hardly a day that goes by that I don't eat walnuts. In addition, walnut trees can live for several hundred years.

For a non-nut tree, I'd pick apples. They are probably the most versatile fruit we have. You can cook, can, dehydrate, jelly, jam, make cider or just eat them raw. Under the right conditions they can be stored for quite a long time. Hot apple cobbler and vanilla ice cream ... Mmmmmmmmm.
    Last edited by Rick; 03-17-2009 at 06:28 PM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I go with apples. A hearty tree, a multi use fruit. And it tastes soooo good
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

OK - you plant the apple tree and I'll plant the ice cream tree. Pecans and walnuts are good choices. As far as fruit trees in my neck of the woods I'd have to stick with citrus, as they seem to do best for the climate.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Crash, you better leave the ice cream tree to the northern climates. I don't think it will last all that long in Fryada.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Yea, we got 10" of Ice Cream yesterday, so today is Plowday. We can do CrabApple trees, and ChokeCherry trees, but the moose eat the whole tree.

I just got a picture of moose grazing on trees the same way cows do with grass. Thanks for the image.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Pecan trees. Ice cream trees. Harbor Town Ice Cream - Hilton Head, S.C. BUTTER PECAN!!! Mmmmmmmmm. Three Large cones in a row. Left cursing when they closed the window when I was just five away from ordering a fourth at exactly 9:00. No amount of begging could get me one more cone. Betcha' it was part-time staff on that night and not the owner .........
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Blog Entries

Anybody have any luck growing dental floss?
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I just got a picture of moose grazing on trees the same way cows do with grass. Thanks for the image.

They eat bark off the birch trees in the winter. And leaves and budds off alder and willow and young cottonwood trees in the summer.

I find it odd that nobody has said Pine... after all the posts in the past about the versatility of pine.
    "I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobywan View Post
    I find it odd that nobody has said Pine... after all the posts in the past about the versatility of pine.
    Not meaning any disrespect to Mr. Euell Gibbons, but if I'm planting trees for food, it's not going to be a pine tree.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Pawpaw tree here,doesn't have a long shelf life like other fruits,but can be mashed and frozen like banana pulp and used in place of bananas in recipes,plus it is very high in protien vitamins and other minerals.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

for food I wouldn't pick pine... but the original post didn't specify that it was for food... just to help survive.
    "I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein

You are correct, it didn't. I guess in my original answer I was thinking for food. In the OP pecan tree was selected, so my thoughts went to food source. Maybe it's because pines are just about everywhere down here too.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 03-17-2009 at 04:46 PM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Walnuts. Walnuts contain high levels of antioxidants, L-arginine, and alpha-linoleic acid and are one of the best nuts you can eat. They are rich in fiber, B vitamins, magnesium, and antioxidants such as Vitamin E. Nuts in general are also high in plant sterols and fat - but mostly monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats (Omega 3 fatty acids - the good fats) that have been shown to lower LDL cholesterol. Walnuts, in particular, have significantly higher amounts of omega 3 fatty acids as compared to other nuts. There is hardly a day that goes by that I don't eat walnuts. In addition, walnut trees can live for several hundred years.

For a non-nut tree, I'd pick apples. They are probably the most versatile fruit we have. You can cook, can, dehydrate, jelly, jam or just eat them raw. Under the right conditions they can be stored for quite a long time. Hot apple cobbler and vanilla ice cream ... Mmmmmmmmm.
    You forgot cider..... the hard kind!
    I know what hunts you.

Cider is in there.

If it is "just one tree" walnut is out - unless your neighbor has got one. Come to think of it - that goes for a lot of fruit trees as well.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

RBB has a point.
    You might get a few pecans (walnuts, hickory nuts) off a single tree but for good yield you need 2.

Pretty much the same for most apple trees too. But with most apples, pears, and some cherries you sometimes need a different variety to pollinate, not two of the same. Sometimes the pollinator is specific.

No one mentioned Pine nuts (pinyon). Tasty and nutritious. If you can wait that long.