Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fishing Pole

Many years ago my bro-in-law gave me a light weight rod and reel which stores in a 16 inch carrying case. This rig is so easy to pack I've been looking for another one for the Mrs ever since. It goes on all my canoe trips and has landed some pretty hefty fish over the years.
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

Banned

Remeber the addage "You can catch big fish on small hooks but you can't catch small fish on big hooks." I've caught fish around 12 pounds in weight on 6 pound line on 11 foot UL rods and tiny hooks with a maggot for bait. I was shocked that decent walleye and smallmouth hit such small bait. Spinning rod with Fire Wire. Fire Wire 6# is the diameter of 1.5# monofilament (if I remember correctly) and it casts very well indeed.
    All my fishing stuff was stolen out of my storage unit over the Winter. Along with a lot of my other stuff(90%). I'll be rebuilding my gear this year.

Man! That's bad news indeed. I hope they catch whoever did it and I hope either the storage place was responsible for security and/or you had insurance.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

The Storage place(the new owner) says he did not continue the previous owners insurance for losses or any policy of the previous owner. So I was just SOL. You'd think someone would have seen some guys loading a truck with a washer and dryer(not to mention everything else) at 2 in the morning.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierarcher View Post
    The Storage place(the new owner) says he did not continue the previous owners insurance for losses or any policy of the previous owner. So I was just SOL. You'd think someone would have seen some guys loading a truck with a washer and dryer(not to mention everything else) at 2 in the morning.
    You may NOT be SOL. Unless you were notified otherwise when the new owner took possession and control of the facility, the new owner generally assumes all of the obigations, liabilities, and responsibilities of the original owner. Check your original storage contract. Is theft or loss insurance mentioned in its provisions? If so, the new guy's likey bound by the obligation to continue to provide such insurance coverage.

Think about this: How many people would even KNOW that ownership of such a facility had changed hands? It's the new owners obligation to notify you of changes in ownership and policies. Did he/she do that?

In Massachusetts, if insurance was part of the original contract with the original owner, and the new owner failed to give notice of any change to you, the new owner would either have to make a reasonbable offer of settlement to compensate you for your loss or he/she would be potentially liable for treble (3 times) damages (your losses), plus 12% annual statutory interest, litigation costs, and attorney's fees. That's a pretty good incentive for the owner to do the right thing.

This is something you should definitely run by a local lawyer.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Banned

Thanks for the info Ken I will look into it and run it by a lawyer. I was told I would need a photo inventory to get 100% reimbursed. I don't have that. I new owner has offered me a lump sum far below the actual replacement costs. In fact less than the cost of my custom made 11 foot ultralight rod. A fly rod builder up in Michigan that was an aquantence of mine made it for me after a discussion of a rod that could be used for panfish but still land a walleye or bass. I even caught Spanish mackeral in the Gulf of Mexico with it, much to the suprize of my Floridian guide.Man oh man I miss that rod.