ken, I Am The Shadows.
    The Dark Side! I Knew It!
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Blog Entries

Cool Here's the "reality".

Okay, 1st off, I don't do fanny packs, they keep sliding up & down, chafing & causing blisters. 2nd, I NEVER go on ANY type of hike, especially a long one, without a partner; so we both have day-packs with lots of outside pouches, Military BDUs with lots of pockets, strong belts with lots of cool stuff hanging off of them. The Kel-Tec PF9 sounds like a 9mm POS, which I would never use, not enough stopping power, so I take a Colt 1911 .45 with 3 full clips of hollow-point ammo. Only one clip is asking for trouble.
    Since we're hiking uphill over some rough ground we both have hiking poles which will help keep us from falling like a couple of Numptys. Both day-packs have 2 1-qt. Nalgene bottles with duct-tape wraps and para-cord loops. I've junked the Kershaw and am carrying my Buck Whitiker Lumina. The GI Canteen Cup is there, along with my ever-present Coleman Steel cup, & 1qt "billy-can" made from an old coffee can, along with a wire bail, I have 2 full MRE's in my pack, as does my partner, along with 8 tea-bags, 8 oz. of sugar, 4 oz. of hard candy. Inside one of our BDU cargo pockets is an Atwater-carry 1st-aid kit. Not only do we each carry a bandana in EACH BDU cargo pocket, but a third, neckerchief-style around our necks. In my pack is 2 "All-weather Sportsman's blankets", my lt. wt. military sleeping bag stuffed in it's compression sack and is smaller that a soccer ball. No esbit stove since we'll be near wooded areas and we'll use a campfire for both heat & cooking if the need arises. (got the permits...HA!)
    I also have my Sweet-water water filter, Flint rod, mag-bar, Water-proofed matches in a water-proof safe, & the butane lighter. They are all stashed in different locations. We both carry 50' feet of parachute cord, and on my belt is my Victorinox Swiss champ, small Busnell Binoculars, Silva Ranger Compass, to go along with the TOPO-MAP in a water-proof map case that's stashed in an outside pouch on my pack. WE forgo the cell-phones, however we did follow Cody Lundin's book on making impressions of our boot-prints on the aluminum foil with our names on them, A map of the area with estimated times of arrival at certain check-points, & an itinerary & Estimated time we should be expected back left with the Ranger's office. I also carry a USMC poncho and "Bull", my Ka-bar Bulldozier. http://www.tomarskabars.com/1275_INFO.html (Never leave home without it.) Finally we both have a signaling mirror, whistle, 3 railroad flares, & a flare gun with 3 parachute flares apiece. The Rangers have been informed to glass the slopes every hour on the hour to look for a flare in case of trouble. I will keep the time with my Victorionox Swiss Army Wrist watch. I'm also wearing my wool outdoors-mans hat, my "Victorionox Swiss-Army Mountainerring Sunglasses", & my military Gore-tex parka w/ watch-cap. This way we AVOID the survival situation since we are sufficantly prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Camelbak Goblin butt pack with .8 L of water.
    Kel-Tec PF9 weapon with 7 rounds of hollow point ammunition.
    Kershaw lock blade folding knife in pocket
    GI Canteen Cup
    Esbit folding stove with 3 fuel tabs
    3 Katadyn water purification tablets
    1 butane lighter in pocket
    1 mish metal flint rod
    10 yards of paracord
    1 micro light flashlight in pocket
    Cell phone in pocket but no coverage in immediate area.
    Compass in pocket
    2 granola bars
    1 chicken bouillon cube
    2 small pieces of jerky
    1 tea bag
    1 bandana in your pocket
    Last edited by Sarge47; 03-17-2009 at 12:52 AM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Ok now 2 things....why was my post the only one that you questioned Rick? And where's your response, what would you do?

Blog Entries

Cool Oops, forgot...

Forgot to list my Petzl XP headlamp & the hatband I've braided with parachute cord. Then there would also be the small digital camera for the pics I'd want to post on this forum, emergency fishing & snare kit.(very small.) Given what Doug has posted he'd probably be a good hiking partner, (how about it Doug?) Oh, & if you wrap duct-tape around the top of your boots you keep out pesky ticks & the like, plus you have no boot-laces on the outside of the duct-tape to catch on anything to make you fall.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

if you left for a walk of 12 miles over uninhabited country with no phone coverage and less than a litre of water then you should not be walking alone anyway!!
    Strap ankle up with bandana find stick to use as crutch. go back the way you came as its familar ground, and you will be closer to vehicle if someone starts looking for you ? do not go off course, if you took a path then rescuers will as well, why the hell a weapon is important is beyond me ? spose you could use it as a crutch but it will become heavy ?
    i would never go anywhere without my survival kit in a sealed pocket, to cover 5 miles on a crutch you are looking at about 4-5 hrs journey including stops sip water make it last. DO NOT UNSTRAP ANKLE!
    Last edited by Ultimate Survivor; 03-17-2009 at 05:39 AM.

Sorry, Sarge. You don't have any of that stuff. You only have what's listed above.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Doug - The only reason I asked the question about the ankle is because I thought it would be a common thing that everyone would focus on the sprain and ignore the possibility it might be broken.

I said I'll let it run for a couple of days then post my response.

I'm surprised more of our professional outdoor folks haven't chimed it.
    Last edited by Rick; 03-17-2009 at 07:24 AM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

For all that say that they wouldn't head off on a hike without carrying more "stuff" (neither would I) I think the point of scenarios like this is to get you to think. Rarely will bad things happen under ideal conditions. Sometimes people get complacent with their surroundings. Often times we will have to improvise. Ideally this accident wouldn't have happened, and if it did, it would be nice to have a sat phone or plb. What happens when you are flying and you can't carry all the gear you would normally carry? It's good sometimes to think about the what if.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

And we are constantly saying the more you carry in your head the less you have to carry on your back.

I need to speed up the learning, my back's getting sore.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Nope...

Sorry, Sarge. You don't have any of that stuff. You only have what's listed above.
    ...you're wrong, that's a "numpty move!" Nobody dictates what I'd take.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Then you don't get to play in my game. So nanny nanny boo boo.

Blog Entries

Cool So okay...

No more Twinkies for you! Hey, if it ain't safe, I don't go...not this little gray puppy. Now if I coulda got a Winnebago up that trail.....
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

OK, since I've already assessed my ankle, I have my boot off. {I find it kind of hard to believe that that is my only injury after bouncing and bumping 35 meters down hill but I guess I'm tougher than I realized}

I'm going to get some sticks and make a splint with the bandana, I'm going to hopefully find a big azz stick I can use for a crutch, walk around long enough to get a big big pile of firewood, then I'm going to light a fire, keep the firewood within arm's reach to keep feeding it and stretch out and elevate the leg and wait.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

And we are constantly saying the more you carry in your head the less you have to carry on your back.
    What's your excuse?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Hey, Mister! We ain't talkin' about me, here. I asked what YOU would do. Okay? Now keep movin'. There ain't nothin' to see here. Go on, move along.

Blog Entries

Cool Hey Rick...!

So how come you forgot to put a 1st aid kit in that list? What's in my head is this: "BE PREPARED!!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Yo Ken!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    What's your excuse?
    You can't use that against Rick, he packs his Twinkie suit in there!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

So basically these scenarios are a waste of time. Unless, it were to be something like all your gear got stolen or lost, or you were in a plane crash and didn't have your gear. Rick I gave up on doing scenarios because this is the response you will get every time. Some either lack imagination or just will not humor you in your quest for opinions. "Be prepared" bottom line, that's the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
    So basically these scenarios are a waste of time. Unless, it were to be something like all your gear got stolen or lost, or you were in a plane crash and didn't have your gear. Rick I gave up on doing scenarios because this is the response you will get every time. Some either lack imagination or just will not humor you in your quest for opinions. "Be prepared" bottom line, that's the answer.
    I disagree. Not everybody that reads, or even participates in the scenario posts has the same skill sets or level of experience. One of the things that I really enjoy about this forum is that I can learn something new just about every day. Look how many views this thread has recieved - not all that read will post, but I'll bet that they learn something. Maybe somebody read this scenario and said to themselves that they had better take a first aid class, or make sure my gear is secure, or I need to pay mor attention to where I'm walking......so waste of time? Maybe for some, but I'll bet that more will benefit from them.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel