Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Survive This!

First of all, I'd like to say this scenario is one of the best I've seen. It's well thought out. I like the sat image too. Rick, thanks for taking the time to put this together.
    -----
    1. (1) Leave a detailed itinerary with someone. (2) Bring a partner. (3) Use a walking stick. (4) Bring a med kit.
    2. Leave the boot on. Immobilize the ankle with a splint and fabric from my clothing. Make a crutch.
    3. Though it's 2 miles further to continue on the intended trail I would because I'm halfway down the hill and from the image the trail then follows the base of the hill so, easier hiking. Also there are trees on that side for shelter, fire and food.
    4. Mark my trail. Make smokey fires when I make a fire. Polish the bottom of the cup for a signal mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Question 4: Explain how you will enhance your chances of a rescue.

Your first priority is to stay alive. Remember the rule of 3s. You can only live
    3 hours without shelter/fire
    3 days without water
    3 weeks without food.
    Can someone explain the "3 hours without shelter/fire"? Is this assuming your soaking wet or buck naked and need to keep you body temperate up to avoid hypothermia? We all go out for more than three hours without shelter or fire, unless clothing is considered shelter.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris - You are on the money. Not the buck nekkid part but the saying is designed to help you keep your priorities straight. Hypothermia can set in very quickly in a lot of scenarios so the 3 hour rule just helps you understand that, if you are in that environment, shelter/fire is a lot more important than food.

That's not to say those priorities will always be in that order. Summertime in Texas might be a good example. Water might be your most important priority.

I left off 3 minutes without air in the above simply because it did not pertain to the situation.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default Laid out with a sprained ankle

I sprained my ankle on Sunday, (same one, 2nd time in 8yrs) went to the orthopedic surgeon yesterday to make sure it wasn't not more serious (it's not) and here I am, ticked off beyond words that it's happened one week before our final ski trip of the season to Utah. (booked & paid for)
    We are going, and I will be skiing if it kills me!

So I'm sitting here w/iced & elevated foot, running a film through my head about what if this happened out there, what if I was alone, etc, etc.
    Wanted to start a thread but thought...I'll bet there's something here already...and voila!, the best thread ever. Good read!
    It made me take notes on some additional stuff to consider getting for the BOB (thi$ i$ never-ending, is it?) but the biggest being some kind of a 2-way, radio that I could strap to my body and never loose. (now I have to research what kind to get--more money, more stuff but worth it, I think)

To me the bottom line is: if you could contact someone and let them know where you are, you could save yourself a lot of grief and potentially your life. This is of course in addition to everything else, not instead.

Thanks Rick!

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    I sprained my ankle on Sunday, (same one, 2nd time in 8yrs) went to the orthopedic surgeon yesterday to make sure it wasn't not more serious (it's not) and here I am, ticked off beyond words that it's happened one week before our final ski trip of the season to Utah. (booked & paid for)
    We are going, and I will be skiing if it kills me!

Where are you going, and what day? I am trying to go this weekend, but we will see.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Where are you going, and what day? I am trying to go this weekend, but we will see.
    Leaving Sat. for Solitude. Always a good gamble for snow. That's why we stopped going to Colorado this time of the year.

I am going to Sundance. I have never been to Solitude, but have been to Brighton, which is a little further up the canyon. I snowboard, so Brighton is better for that. Anyways, we have had a low snow year, but there should be enough for you. A storm moved in this last weekend and dumped a bunch.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Voice in the Wilderness preachtheWORD's Avatar

Question 1: Name four (4) things you should have done prior to your accident. There will be more than 4 answers but name the 4 most important items you can think of.

1. Should have taken more water in the first place. Last time I hiked twelve miles I drank well over 2 liters and still got dehydrated. Might not have been distracted by the need for water and gotten injured.
    2. Like most people have said, should have let someone know the exact route your are taking, and established a firm time of return. "Back before dark" is a pretty vague timeline.
    3. Should have worn some better boots with a very high ankle laced up good and tight. Ankle injuries are common enough in rough terrain (or any terrain, really) that this should be a basic preparation. Carrying athletic tape with you would be a VERY good idea to treat or prevent such an injury.
    4. Should have taken some kind of signaling device - a whistle, flare, mirror, blaze orange clothes, something.

Question 2: Explain how you will treat your ankle injury. Describe what materials, if any, you will use.

That ankle will have to be immobilized somehow. My first thought was to wrap it up tight with a strip torn from your clothing, but fresh ankle injuries can't be wrapped too tight. You will have to wrap it loosely with something. You could contrive a splint with stout green sticks (1 1/2" diameter) and the paracord. You will have to have a good walking stick. If you could find a conveniently forked branch, you could pad it with an article of clothing and use it as a crutch.

Question 3: Describe your next course of action.

First thing I would do is work my way down to the river and get some water, treating it with the purification tabs. Don't bother trying to climb up that hill to the planned water source. Treated river water will have to be good enough. Then I would follow the river as far as I could before dark. The injury will make this slow going, but the more level land near the river would be better than trying to traverse the hillside. If I couldn't get out by close to dark, I would settle in and build a fire, and wait for morning. Be sure to elevate that ankle during the night.

Question 4: Explain how you will enhance your chances of a rescue.

Frankly, a quick rescue seems unlikely in this situation. You are probably going to have to rely on yourself to get you out. After all, you are injured, but not lost. You know where you are and you know the way out. I would only sit and wait for rescue in this situation if the ankle was so bad that I could not travel at all. If that was the case, you might build some signal fires.

The guy in question shouldn't have been in this situation in the first place. He took time to pack what I would call "fancy" supplies, but didn't bother to make some of the most basic preparations to ensure his safety.
    Preach It - Teach It - LIVE IT

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    I am going to Sundance. I have never been to Solitude, but have been to Brighton, which is a little further up the canyon. I snowboard, so Brighton is better for that. Anyways, we have had a low snow year, but there should be enough for you. A storm moved in this last weekend and dumped a bunch.
    Also love Alta and go there often. (no snowboarders) Never been to Sundance.
    We find that once we like the place we stick with it forever.
    As far as I'm concerned, you can't beat Utah for snow.