Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carry laws in the woods

Default Carry laws in the woods

I just got into a big session with co-workers about carrying a gun in the woods. I got a bunch of different positions and none of them were what I thought was right. I have always open carried with a pistol in a holster on my hip (we do have bears in my woods). I was told you can't do that because my State (Arkansas) doesn't have an open carry law. I am usually on National Forest land but i wouldn't think that would matter. I'm not talking about in or around recreational areas or campgrounds, I mean deep in the woods where no one is around. Can I leagally do this? Two years ago, about 10 miles from where i usually camp, a little girl was drug out of her tent at a campground at night and was killed (there was food in the tent). I have a 12 year old myself and the only thing he is afraid of in the woods is a bear, and he wont go camping with me unless I have my pistol. It's pretty unlikely I'd ever see a Ranger or Warden where I go but I'd hate to think I was breaking the law.

I think the best advise would be to call the police department or fish and game in your area and ask them. I know the laws for that here and back home in Indiana, but know nothing about your area.
    Last edited by doug1980; 03-12-2009 at 05:40 PM.

Blog Entries

The Bush administration, issued an order allowing loaded guns in national parks and wildlife refuges just days before leaving office. The new rule, which took effect Jan. 9, 2009, set aside a 25-year-old policy that allowed guns in parks only if they were unloaded, or dismantled and stored in a vehicle.

The Obama administration is now reviewing the rule change. However, many lawmakers from both parties support a measure making the Bush rule federal law.

In any event, natonal park/forest or not, your state and local laws still govern as well. If the Feds say "YES" and you state says "NO", it's still "NO."
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Blog Entries

Depends on the state. In Ga. if you have a gun permit, that also doubles as a ccw, you can carry you pistolla concealed in all but State parks.

If you don't have a gun permit, then you are sol.

Best bet is to google concealed carry laws. You will get a few good sites that will inform you about all states.

Currently Arkansas does not allow open carry. (Just telling you what the law is not what to do) That may soon change according to a news story from one of your papers today. http://www.nwarktimes.com/nwat/News/74748/ My state (Florida) is another state that does not allow open carry. Carrying to protect yourself and your family? Know the laws and the possible consequences and then let your conscience be your guide.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries
    Last edited by Ken; 03-12-2009 at 05:37 PM.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

The answer is...it depends. It depends on whose ground you are on. It can get confusing. An example. In Indiana, I can carry open or concealed with my permit. I could even walk in Wal-Mart with an open carry and be legal (not that I would). I can open carry on state property. I can even carry in the National Forest (which generally abides by state law). But I can not carry at all on Corps of Engineers property. Not open, not concealed and that pretty much goes nation wide.

Here's a link to Arkansas law and I don't see where you can carry open anywhere. See the link to the law an this page.

http://www.asp.arkansas.gov/division...s_chl.html#app

I think I'd invest in bear spray.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The last time I checked, in FL, you cannot carry in a national forest. I could be wrong, LEO's are covered differently.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chiye tanka View Post
    The last time I checked, in FL, you cannot carry in a national forest. I could be wrong, LEO's are covered differently.
    Today, full time LEO's, who have met their department's qualifying requirements within the past year, can carry almost anywhere in any state. This includes airlines (with proper department authorization and notice to the airline - Flying While Armed Form must be completed) if on duty and most government buildings and properties. However, there are some exceptions. Check ahead of time to be certain. Retired LEO's (10 years or more of honorable service) who continue to qualify annually can also generally carry interstate as well.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Colorado Springs, CO wildography's Avatar
    Colorado Springs, CO; I've lived in 9 states, traveled through 32 others

I agree; best bet is to check for applicable laws for where ever you will be carrying.

Having said that, however, I, personally, never liked carrying a handgun in open sight (with the exception - of course - being in the military). I always prefer to not let others know what (or if) I'm carrying.

There was even a time, a long time ago, when I carried, a few times, a handgun in a leather Bible case (that had a Bible in it, also; it also had a bumper sticker on the outside of the Bible case that said "angels watching over me" - !)

And with all due respect to any law enforcement officers here, I'd rather not have a law enforcement officer even KNOW that I'm carrying. It just saves on some hassle. But, then again, you don't want to break any laws or have a cop start to "get nervous" about what you might be carrying... so walk with wisdom.
    all men die; few truly live

Rick, the link you gave was all about concealed carry. Oh, I forgot to mention that this area is a Wildlife Management Area within the National forest and you can hunt on it. What is the difference in having a .22 pistol in your hand and a hunting license while trapping fur bearers (the season that's pretty much year round anyway) and just having another gun in a holster (I carry 9mm)?

PS: I often just shoot for the fun of it out there. It's just about the only place I have to shoot.

I have always open carried with a pistol in a holster on my hip (we do have bears in my woods).
    just having another gun in a holster (I carry 9mm)?
    You might want to rethink 9mm vs bears
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    You might want to rethink 9mm vs bears
    In a handgun...what caliber would be proper for bears?

Quote Originally Posted by dolfan87 View Post
    Ready - - - - Set - - - - Go!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Rich - Indiana's CCW law gives the right to possess without specifying concealed or open. Your CCW law specifies concealed. Still, I'd check with the State Police to verify state law and check with the management office of the wildlife management area to verify the law within their boundaries.

The difference between your .22 in hand and a hunting rifle is whatever the law states. For example, you can't carry a pistol, concealed or otherwise, while hunting in Indiana UNLESS you have a CCW. Then you can carry open or closed. Your state will be specific on what you can or can't do. I'd guess they are pretty strict judging from that law. There must have been 25 places you can not carry concealed. In Indiana there are only 4.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Ready - - - - Set - - - - Go!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Mmmmmmmmm. Protein.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

We have little bitty black bears here in Arkansas and a loud noise is usually enought to chase them off; But they can get very aggressive when they have cubs and especially if you get between them and their young. I've known of people who have run off black bears by throwing rocks and yelling, surely a 9mm would do the trick.
    Last edited by RichJ; 03-12-2009 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The difference between your .22 in hand and a hunting rifle is whatever the law states. For example, you can't carry a pistol, concealed or otherwise, while hunting in Indiana UNLESS you have a CCW. Then you can carry open or closed. Your state will be specific on what you can or can't do. I'd guess they are pretty strict judging from that law. There must have been 25 places you can not carry concealed. In Indiana there are only 4.

In Arkansas you can carry a pistol to hunt if you are checking traps.

Quote Originally Posted by dolfan87 View Post
    Well a hear a .44 is the best. But then again how well can one shoot with a bear charging and not miss. Honestly I believe all a handgun is gonna do is give one security, more than likely false security.