Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northern Michigan (not upper pen.) help

Frenzied Berserker FalconPunched's Avatar

Default Northern Michigan (not upper pen.) help

hello, i was wondering if anyone here has any knowledge of the northern michigan area, around the black lake area. Me and a group of friends plan on staying there and we were wondering what the local wildlife was like.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FalconPunched View Post
    hello, i was wondering if anyone here has any knowledge of the northern michigan area, around the black lake area. Me and a group of friends plan on staying there and we were wondering what the local wildlife was like.
    Hello, FalconPunched!

Can you postpone your trip long enough to pay a visit to the Introduction page and tell us a bit about yourself?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14

Crash?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Hello, FalconPunched!

Can you postpone your trip long enough to pay a visit to the Introduction page and tell us a bit about yourself?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14

Crash?
    _____________Tisk... tisk... tisk.. Jes' pitiful, plum piteeful. The wildlife is probably like every where else. Don't leave food/trash around your camp, carry bear spray, and don't corner/threaten them and you should be alright. You could always contact a forestry service person nearby.
    I'd rather be carried by six than married by one!

well the group im going with a group of 4 (including myself) and we've done this before, just not in the area, so i wasn't sure if there was anything else i should learn.

Blog Entries

Ask them when the season for 13 year old Okies opens.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

hahaha. I'm sensing a some conflict about to break out

Quote Originally Posted by FalconPunched View Post
    We've got a few members from that neck of the woods. I'm sure they will weigh in as they log on.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

FP, I live in Southern Michigan, but have a cottage upnorth on Mullet Lake, not far from Black Lake. What exactly do you want to know? There is plenty of wildlife, nothing dangerous. There are some black bear, but not many and I can't ever recall any bear attacks. Lots of deer, turkey and small game. A few bobcats, sightings are rare. And of course there is the controversial cougar sightings, DNR says they don't exist in Michigan, and there is no hard evidence that they do exist here. A few Elk too. Don't know anything about the 2 legged wildlife, I am happily married, lol.

If you are camping, in the area you are at ask the locals if bear are nearby, and keep food put up they are. Other than that, nothing to worry about.

thanks, thats what i was looking for. I believe were going in early spring so we should be alright. Were just going to try and live off of the land with some basic survival tools. Also im a borderline vegetarian (i usually only eat plants and such, but sometimes i eat the occasional meat) so the plant life there has to be somewhat supporting. I'm sure it is because it must be a lot like what i have here brush, tress, berries, nuts, etc.
    Last edited by FalconPunched; 03-12-2009 at 05:08 PM.

Springtime is great for finding mushrooms, fiddleheads and greens. Berries won't start until June, and most nuts from the previous season will probably have been eaten by springtime.

hmm. well we will not shoot an animal, but my friend might be bring a .22 for protection. I think we plan on trapping or using the .22 as a last resort. This will be first time for all of us because we have alway brought our food with us, this time, we're only bringing back up food and some standard survival items. I think we should be ok because we know a lot but the only thing that worries me is the lack of experience

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Ask them when the season for 13 year old Okies opens.
    The only problem is we shoot back WELL.
    It seems to me that the only animals big enough to cause a threat wouldn't be phased by a .22 maybe a notherner Dang yankees can tell you more.
    I'd rather be carried by six than married by one!

You atleast bringing fishing equipment? Poles, traps, try making fish traps once you get there using found materials, that'll be a fun task.

well, were having a meeting to discuss what exactly were doing. Were going for sure, and ideas have been thrown around. But were trying to just use ourself and trying not to bring stuff with us

Have you thought about bringing stuff that you may need - just don't break it out unless you really need to? Better safe than sorry and that sort of thing.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I concur with Crash. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Every outing is a learning experience. If things don't go the way you plan you would still have some food, etc. with you. Learn from what went wrong and adjust on future outings. There is no reason to needlessly put yourself in harms way even if it's unintentional.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

I grew up in Michigan. The Northern lower has elk, whitetail deer, black bear, turkeys, coyote, beaver, oppossum, raccon, and Kirklands warblers and a myriad of other birds as well as squirrels, rabbits and fox.
    in other words a plethora of wildlife. It is a very beautiful area and it will restore your spirit to live there even if only in the short run.

Going in the spring. take a fishing pole for some fresh steal head. .22 huh? waste of time for protection. Bears around these parts pretty much want nothing to do with you. if they do there is something wrong. Have fun. I love northern MI

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    You atleast bringing fishing equipment? Poles, traps, try making fish traps once you get there using found materials, that'll be a fun task.
    It is illegal to trap or net gamefish in Michigan. Except, you can use a dip net for smelt, and nets for bait.

I grew up in Roscommon County, northern lower Mich. Where are you seeing all these black bears? Up by Traverse City, or Mackinac bridge area? I never heard of a single sighting in Rosco county. (By Higgins Lake and Houghton Lake.)

The biggest animal thread we had was raccoons spilling all your garbage all over the place. And deer eating your garden.