Thread: What Would You Do?

Question What Would You Do?

The recent shootings that have occured are sad and tragic. Were they preventable? It seems that the teen in Germany that killed 15 talked about it the day before on a chat room. Apparently nobody took him seriously, but if they had, maybe this could have been averted. Although this is not a chat room, we do have conversations. So, the question is, if you were troubled by a posting that was made - what would you do?

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news...School.Attack/
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The same thing I have done on other threads.

I would have brought the information to the administrator or moderator, stated what was in the post(s) that bothers me, and ask them to check out the posts.

In my other life I obtained information by talking to people. So a question can be asked that seems innocent enough until you start putting all the questions together and then a picture is formed of what information is being sought/obtained.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Banned
    Blog Entries

What would I do....???? Send a PM to my favorite Moderator, for crash control. The more appropriate question is what do you do as Moderator....?

Hope - what I have done on this forum was to attempt to engage the individuals (I did it twice) via pm's. One did not respond - that individual seemed more lost than dangerous to me. The other - we had quite a lengthy exchange, enough so that I was no longer concerned about his safety, or the safety of others. This was pre-moderator. As a moderator I would probably do the same thing. There is no special "duty" in those cases. If posts warranted being removed I would remove them.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

If I were reasonably certain that some chance of violence existed OR the individual made statements similar to the young man in Germany I would immediately alert the other Mods and Chris. If we felt it warranted, their ISP could be contacted to see if local law enforcement could be engaged. That's a pretty drastic step so I'd have to be reasonably certain that it would be the proper thing to do.

And what's this crap about your favorite moderator? Where's my dang ban button?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

And what's this crap about your favorite moderator? Where's my dang ban button?

Well, I have called the cops on people before. Once a member of another forum, and once on a member of this forum. You can't be too careful. With the other forum it was a kid but he lived on 30 minutes from me and knew my address. With this forum, it was an adult, but he was off an off-his-rocker drifter with guns, so I thought it'd be best to be careful. So I filed a police report and made sure my guns were loaded.

Consequently, I also now have video surveillance at my house.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I also now have video surveillance at my house.

I so love Video Surveillance, So cheap and so effective......
    Last edited by Sourdough; 03-12-2009 at 03:08 PM.

I am not sure if I completely understand what point the OP is trying to make.
    Survival is not for the faint of heart

Quote Originally Posted by Revelation1412 View Post
    I am not sure if I completely understand what point the OP is trying to make.
    He's asking if you see user x saying "I'm going to go Colombine on all those byatches at school tomorrow", what would you do? Would you intervene and call the cops? Would you try and talk to the user, to see if he's serious? Or would you turn a blilnd eye and possibly be an accessory to the tragedy? Do you feel it's your responsiblity? etc.etc.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine_Sapper View Post
    He's asking if you see user x saying "I'm going to go Colombine on all those byatches at school tomorrow", what would you do? Would you intervene and call the cops? Would you try and talk to the user, to see if he's serious? Or would you turn a blilnd eye and possibly be an accessory to the tragedy? Do you feel it's your responsiblity? etc.etc.
    Yeah, that pretty well sums it up.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

To answer honestly? I would probably laugh until I actually saw it on the news. I don't have a whole lot of moral fiber.

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVan
    I don't have a whole lot of moral fiber
    Try raw fruit with the peeling on or celery. Both are high in fiber.

Now that there is funny, I don't care who you are.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I think that there is probably a pattern in the postings or conversation of a person who is truly going to go out and start popping people. There is one member here who I too tried to reach out to a bit via pm's but have not heard from since, he seemed angry and lost. Nevertheless, do we pick up on those patterns? It's not necessarily easy or apparent. I believe that if any one of us has a concern over something we've read here, we can certainly contact some kind of authority, but on the other hand, if someone from Japan or Holland is talking whacky who do I contact?? It is a world wide web.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

This thread reminded me of this cartoon:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I wouldnt know if the person was joking or not, I would take it as a joke.
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

Hey! I've got a list of people I'd like to kill on my bedroom wall, too!

Exclamation My Duty. . .

Nowadays there is so much of this stuff going on, can we afford to take it any other way but seriously?! It is a sad state of affairs, but I, personally, would take it very seriously.

It I were on a live chatroom I would contact the authorities immediately and give them the IP address of the chatroom and lt them know the name (screen name) of the person talking about it.

Personally, I think it is the only right and decent thing to do. It could save lives. . . .Maybe of someone you or you or you might know or possibly one of your loved ones!?!
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Hey! I've got a list of people I'd like to kill on my bedroom wall, too!
    Anyone I may know?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    The recent shootings that have occured are sad and tragic. Were they preventable? It seems that the teen in Germany that killed 15 talked about it the day before on a chat room. Apparently nobody took him seriously, but if they had, maybe this could have been averted. Although this is not a chat room, we do have conversations. So, the question is, if you were troubled by a posting that was made - what would you do?

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news...School.Attack/
    Well, I've been trying to get my computer savvy kids to develop a computer-taser...
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan