Thread: Trapping Rodents

Smile Trapping Rodents

Does anybody have experience trapping pack rats and like critters and are they safe for survival food? Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...rn_.html?cat=3

The more you know the less you need.

I've got a bit of experience trapping rats. Rat traps work just fine. A BB Gun would be fine to dispatch them. As far as eating them - in many parts of the world that is already done. I personally would stay away from "urban" rats, as their diet and habitat lend themselves to the rats becoming disease vectors. Rats in the wilds though? Sure, why not?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I would think medicinal moonshine. Coot would no doubt fall for it and from what I hear he's a bit of a packrat. He's probably a bit too chewy to survive on, though.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hantavirus comes to mind when discussing rats as food.If you want to killem and have no traps you can mix 1 part portland cement to 4 parts flour.Set it next to a dish of water.

Hantavirus is extremely dangerous. It is usually spread through rodent urine or droppings. Once they have dried, particles can easily become airborne. At a minimum use a dust mask (respirator being the preferance) when cleaning up after them.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Are you wanting to kill them or build a statue of them?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I get oen or two rat jobs a week. Last month I had one in an abandoned building. The droppings were about 2 inches deep, completely covering the floor of this 1000 sq ft building. That one may have deserved a statue. Killed over 60 rats in that one.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Can you say arson? I knew you could.

Quote Originally Posted by Stairman View Post
    Hantavirus comes to mind when discussing rats as food.If you want to killem and have no traps you can mix 1 part portland cement to 4 parts flour.Set it next to a dish of water.
    Doesn't that just make them heavy and hard???
    I know what hunts you.

Yep,and permanently constipated.

To get your thread back on track, Smoke. Is this the critter you're asking about?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

yep thats what I want to know about. I know it is small but at times a meal is a meal if you know what I mean.

Colorado Springs, CO wildography's Avatar
    Colorado Springs, CO; I've lived in 9 states, traveled through 32 others

I grew up (age 15-to almost 19)in a Boys' Home on the outskirts of Beaumont, TX. Being out in the country, it had a few horses, cattle, sheep, pigs... and a big ol' barn. The mice/rats were so bad, the staff let me take my pellet rifle out there... I'd set up a few dishes of grain scattered around different places and then hide in a slightly elevated dark corner... killed dozens that way. Never did eat any... but that was how I became a really good shot... I almost always aimed for the eye... unless I couldn't get a clear shot... then would go for the heart.

I could... and did... use rat/mice traps, but it was more "fun" to shoot them...

for survival purposes... that would be a good choice... and good practice... you could also use the mice/rats as bait on trotlines, catfishing, etc. I saw Bear Grylls, or Les Stroud, (forget which one) just throw the whole mouse on the coals and then eat them that way... personally, I think that I'd rather gut them, singe the hair off, and roast them... I've seen what coyote poop looks like after eating mice/rats... lots of hair and some undigested bone material... no thanks!
    all men die; few truly live

Look up .....Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmerman ...he's name may be mis spelled ....Also you may look up gene pig for recipes , as they are raised for food in Mex.. They are not bad when they are not to dry . Some like them deep fried and very dry , it's OK but ...just not for me .. Not too dry....As long as it is cooked [well dune] most food ....even rat will be OK .. The only one that is not killed by cooking that I know of is ..... Mad Cow
    Last edited by Smok; 03-15-2009 at 03:53 AM.
    Do it with what you got and you want need what you don't have

I have Eaten Rat When I was In Africa, Straight off the bone Real Chewy Not Much Taste, And i Warn you all Now they absoulutely Stink to high Heaven when Gutting, i have killed and gutted lots of animals but these were real bad, Personally Fried Meal worms and Maggots are a Better Protein rich food for survival, and Urban Rats are A No No To many Chemicals.

Thanks for the tips, Hey ultimate just curious are the chemicals in the urban rats from people trying to exterminate them?