View Poll Results: Do you know your wild edibles & could you sustain on them?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I do know my W.E.'s & I could sustain off of them

9 15.79%
  • No, I do not know my W.E.'s, but I could sustain off of them

3 5.26%
  • Yes, I do know my W.E.'s, but I could not sustain off of them

24 42.11%
  • No, I do not my wild edibles at all & I could not sustain off of them

21 36.84%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Many Here Could Survive On Wild Edibles Tomorrow If TSHTF?

Default How Many Here Could Survive On Wild Edibles Tomorrow If TSHTF?

This poll and thread is in response to Sarge 47's Post "Reality Check/Wild Edibles"

To get a sense of how many here really know their wild edibles, I am curious to know how many people that practice survival and/or primitive living, actually know, the wild edibles in their area and could sustain off them as well?!

Let's see. . . .Here we go! P.S. Please be truthful in answering.

Sarge's thread pertains to W.E. "plants" and the poll is in response to his post.

Now for winter sustenance you could eat W.E.'s harvested in the summer and dried for the winter or you could cook and can them.

There are many creative ways to use plants, fruits, berries, etc.
    Last edited by Nativedude; 03-11-2009 at 12:15 AM. Reason: To clarify the question.
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

I know the very basics for my area, but in my area, actually being able to survive on what you find would be nearly impossible. I can identify about 12 native plants that are edible. At the peak of the season, I might be able to gather enough of those 12 plants to give me 50% of my calorie needs for any given day. The exception would be wild berries, but that season is so short around here that I could really only meet my calorie needs for maybe six weeks a year.
    I'll rest when I'm dead...

While there are lots of fruit orchards and farms in the area - I don't think that is what you are asking. I would have trouble - now, add fish or wild game and I would do OK.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Talking I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Nativedude View Post
    This poll and thread is in response to Sarge 47's Post "Reality Check/Wild Edibles"

To get a sense of how many here really know their wild edibles, I am curious to know how many people that practice survival and/or primitive living, actually know, the wild edibles in their area and could sustain off them as well?!

Let's see. . . .Here we go! P.S. Please be truthful in answering.
    Great thread idea, Nativedude!

Hmmm, Questions 1 & 3 are exactly the same!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Missing one!

Question #5: I know a very limited amount of W.E., but not enough to sustain me!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Great thread idea, Nativedude!

Hmmm, Questions 1 & 3 are exactly the same!
    I fixed em.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I know several wild edibles, but I would have to add fish or game to it in order to get by n a daily basis. I would have to cover a large area on a daily basis to rely solely on wild edibles.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

Now when you say wild edibles to me I am including furry mamials, scaley fish and the descendents of raptors. In that case yes! if you are talking about just plants......I didn't climb to the top of the food chain in order to eat grass!
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    Now when you say wild edibles to me I am including furry mamials, scaley fish and the descendents of raptors. In that case yes! if you are talking about just plants......I didn't climb to the top of the food chain in order to eat grass!
    Kind of why I haven't answered the poll yet. Plants only - and I will have trouble.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Agreed. If I can take critters, I'm much more likely to meet my calorie needs (or would that be meat my calorie needs).

Banned
    Blog Entries

Native Dude, I went with #1 however I do not think I could live through the winter here on just plants. But with so much fish and game available, my brain just will not grasp eating only wild edibles.

So I will ask you, Native Dude, with 3' to 5' of snow most of the winter here on the south shore of Turnagain Arm, is it possible to live 7 months on only wild edibles found here.....? I truly do not know about winter wild edibles.

Hey, CRASH....can you change my vote from #1 to #3
    Last edited by Sourdough; 03-11-2009 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    Hey, CRASH....can you change my vote from #1 to #3
    Done, but your name still appears in #1 (don't know how to change that).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I've thought about enhancing an area (besides the obvious, my garden). Building some check dams in dry gullies to catch extra rain and plant some seeds, etc., just to give you another source for edible plants if your garden was raided. Even if only 10% of the seed you put out there made it, you'd still have a lot more to forage off of than you would if you just went completely native.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Done, but your name still appears in #1 (don't know how to change that).
    Thank you........

Quote Originally Posted by Nativedude View Post
    how many people that practice survival and/or primitive living, actually know, the wild edibles in their area and could sustain off them as well?!
    Depends. I know cattail and poke salad by sight, and can of course eat all the nuts, berries, and wild fruits (persimmon, possum grape), etc. Ate those as a kid. But what you need to know is how to select food by watching animals, touching to the tongue, waiting for reaction, scratching skin for a wipe test, waiting for reaction, eating a tiny bit, waiting for reaction, eating more, waiting for reaction, etc. You'll find something to eat if you can do that testing. You can then eat a bit and keep your strength up to wait on a rabbit, squirrel, or fish trap. To live forever? No.

Well, I'm basically toast. I know about 12 wild plants in our area that I am confident about. Without my edible field guide I'd be lost. If you haven't figured it out, I'm real green with the actual practice of survival. I have done a lot of reading and note taking but that is squat without the practice. To answer your survey with I don't know is the same as No. I have no hunting experience. Point and shoot at at target does not count.
    Dang, did I just type that out loud, I think I just red flagged myself.

KArl
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I don't understand option #2 it is clearly is not a choice for me, but would someone explain it to me. Seems like a eat and pray program, or am I missing something.

Hunting and fishing Id be OK. But to survive only on wild edibles I would die a slow painfull death.I have some learning to do.
    Last edited by Stargazer; 03-11-2009 at 12:39 AM.
    Joe
    Red meat is good for you.Its the green furry meat you have to worry about.

Oh yeah.....That is also why I carry a book in my kit that idenifies edible and medicinal plants in my area.
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by gryffynklm View Post
    I think I just red flagged myself.
    We are all at different places in our knowledge. You are learning, that's what's important.