Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plain vs. Serrated

MatthewnOK wrote:Bleeding people if they were sick was also a common practice for a long time. Would you rather have your wrists cut, or a dose of penicillin
    Wrists cut since I'm allergic to penicillin!

Besides, that's like comparing apples to oranges!
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

I'm just saying that if the early civilizations had the technology to make serrations who's to say they wouldn't have. All I meant about the bleeding was that just because it was used for hundreds of years doesn't mean it's the best way to do it.
    I'm allergic to penicillin too; you are allergy to cephlosporins are you?
    I'd rather be carried by six than married by one!

Here's a bunch of tutorials folks might enjoy:

http://www.knifenetwork.com/workshop/index.shtml

I've never worked with Kydex but this looked like a good tutorial for making a Kydex sheath on the cheap.

http://www.northcoastknives.com/nort...ydexsheath.htm
    Last edited by Rick; 03-14-2009 at 07:11 AM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default folder

benchmade presidio 520, PS(partial serrated). CUDA(camillus) Quik-Action Tanto Blade(PS) CU2ST. it's almost ashame to use these gems.

Who needs serrations, keep your blade sharp.

That said in a pinch with no stone serrations might come in handy.

usually my EDC is a cold steel x2 voyager (straight edge 6" blade) leatherman supertool and most of the time a SAK "officer" I have a few Spyderco's that I like too(serrated)
    Belt knife would be my Buck nighthawk 50/50.
    Looking into a K-bar though, haven't decided which one.

I've got a few blades in the collection...two folders (three if you count the leatherman) and a few fixed blades...For whatever reason...I've found that I like my edc folder to have a partially serrated edge (thus I prefer my benchmade over my spyderco. And I've found that I prefer my short ka-bar (plain edge) over my other fixed blades.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Straight blade all the way. While I do have some knives with serrations and they do serve their purpose rope twine and the like i prefer a straight bladed knife. Just today my daughter is not feeling good with the pollen and all so I made her a nose rag out of an old cotton t-shirt. I was cutting with my benchmade vex and as long as I kept the shirt on the straight edge it cut flawlessly. the second some of the material hit the serration it began to hang up and drag I had to use a lot of force to continue my cut to get a workable piece of cotton material for her nose. Like someone else said just keep your blades sharp and you won't need serrations. None of my fixed blades have serrrations only a few folders.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierarcher View Post
    If you keep it sharp a straight edge can cut cordage just fine and that is the only job a serrated does better than a plain edge. In fact the plain edge shines at every job you may need it for if kept properly sharpen,honed and clean. The same can not be said of a serrated edge. Serrated edges were invented to appease ignorant, lazy people that wanted to slice bread and such and not have to sharpen their knife often if at all.

I think maybe the serrated knife might have came first. I carry both serrated (Spyderco Rescue) and straight edged (Boker) daily.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Well why not?

Quote Originally Posted by chazlawyer View Post
    I've got a few blades in the collection...two folders (three if you count the leatherman) and a few fixed blades...For whatever reason...I've found that I like my edc folder to have a partially serrated edge (thus I prefer my benchmade over my spyderco. And I've found that I prefer my short ka-bar (plain edge) over my other fixed blades.
    Nice little colllection. I'm a huge Benchmade fan, and would choose their blades over most. I prefer and usually carry the SEAL pup. Check out the RAT collection. I have the RAT3, D2 tool steel, partial serrated,

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewnOK View Post
    I'm just saying that if the early civilizations had the technology to make serrations who's to say they wouldn't have. All I meant about the bleeding was that just because it was used for hundreds of years doesn't mean it's the best way to do it.
    I'm allergic to penicillin too; you are allergy to cephlosporins are you?
    Early civilizations did have the ability to make serrations, in point of fact, that was all they could make. Take a close look at an obsidian knife or arrow point.
    I know what hunts you.

Blog Entries

Smooth blade all the way. Serrartions work nicely for a while, but eventually it'll get blunt. When that happens it is a (*use your imagination*) to sharpen. I like my knives like my guns, simple and easy.
    Survival is not about surviving AGAINST the nature. It's about surviving WITH the nature.

You can't go in to nature, nature is not a place or an object. Nature just is. You are living it.

If you learn how to keep your straight edge sharp you will never need a serrated edge. One question always made me wonder, if you are around and cut rope a lot (NOT KNOWING how to keep a good edge on your straight blade), why do they put the serrated edge on the back end of the blade? To me nell said it, if I want to cut bread, a serrated blade works better, but that's about it, just MHO. Serrated edges tear not cut... Do Lazer sabers have Serrated edges????
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Dang it! Now I'll spend the rest of the day trying to figure that out. And if they do, how do you keep them sharp? Dang!!!!!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Light sabers have a cauterizing edge.
    Turtle Clan/Coffee Addicts Anonymous

I prefer a plain blade I do own several combo blades but for me the plain blade shines.
    sh4d0wm4573ri7

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I normally carry a straight edge knife. The main reason is that you can't carve on wood with a serrated blade. I do carry a serrated Spyderco on my PFD when paddling, it cuts through ropes and straps much quicker.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Quote Originally Posted by locorogue View Post
    Nice little colllection. I'm a huge Benchmade fan, and would choose their blades over most. I prefer and usually carry the SEAL pup. Check out the RAT collection. I have the RAT3, D2 tool steel, partial serrated,
    I recently added a RAT-3 to my collection as I wanted a smaller sized fixed blade, but I found the handle on the RAT-3 to be too small. The blade was exactly what I was looking for, but really needed the handle to be about 1/2 -3/4 inches longer. Plus I wasn't a big fan of the sheath.

Basically, I'm looking for a fairly small fixed blade with a nice leather sheath...still looking...

oh and if anyone wants a good deal on a brand new RAT-3...pm me....

when at work i carry a benchmade griptillian thats partially serrated, i cut a lot of rope, plastic seals and bags open. camping and hikes or when ever im in the woods prefer only straight edge.
    how dare i call this love and not bare my cross

Bear Clan

Default blades

Quote Originally Posted by chazlawyer View Post
    I recently added a RAT-3 to my collection as I wanted a smaller sized fixed blade, but I found the handle on the RAT-3 to be too small. The blade was exactly what I was looking for, but really needed the handle to be about 1/2 -3/4 inches longer. Plus I wasn't a big fan of the sheath.

Basically, I'm looking for a fairly small fixed blade with a nice leather sheath...still looking...

oh and if anyone wants a good deal on a brand new RAT-3...pm me....
    I have always preferred Benchmade knives, and they do have fixed blades with longer handles. Check out the other Ontario knives, and SOG. Blackhawk crucible comes to mind also(amongst their others)