Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plain vs. Serrated

Default Plain vs. Serrated

It's been a while since we had a nice can of worms opened. For a EDC folding lockback do you guys prefer a plain or serrated edge. I know for cutting rope it is excellent. I know how to sharpen serrations so that's no biggie.
    I'd rather be carried by six than married by one!

I prefer a plain edge for a lockback. If I need to saw at something I have a camp saw.
    Turtle Clan / Coffee Addicts Anonymous

I like those combo blades, serrated that taper into a drop point. I also like knives like the SOG Team Leader that have a plain edge, then the top of the blade is serrated. That Team Leader is one nice knife IMHO
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

I'm with LB. I like the straight edge better. I don't spend a lot of time cutting cordage so a straight edge serves me better and does a fine job when I do need to cut rope. Besides, I carry a camp saw as well.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Straight edge most of the time. Boating or diving I always have a serrated edge with me.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I like the serrations because I am around rope alot and I want to be able to cut a dog or person free who is being strangled or pulled apart
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Straight edge for me,I don't care for a serrated blade at all unless I am slicing a loaf of bread.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

If it has to be one or the other than strait. However I like some serrations somewhere on the blade but not the entire blade, in case I need them.
    Stephen K. Wood

I have both. Prefer straightedge because I do not know how to sharpen a serrated. I have filed a few serrates off and made staights.
    "Most of the luxuries and many of the so-called comforts of life are not only not indispensable, but positive hindrances to the elevation of mankind.”

— Thoreau

BOTH! For most chores I prefer a straight edge. Also in a survival situation it is easier to sharpen a straight edge.
    I know what hunts you.

Anybody here have a SOG team leader? I'd like to hear some first hand opinions

Banned

If you keep it sharp a straight edge can cut cordage just fine and that is the only job a serrated does better than a plain edge. In fact the plain edge shines at every job you may need it for if kept properly sharpen,honed and clean. The same can not be said of a serrated edge. Serrated edges were invented to appease ignorant, lazy people that wanted to slice bread and such and not have to sharpen their knife often if at all.

serrated for steak knives and bread.

Blog Entries

Cool Well,since you asked....

"Whatever floats your boat!" I have serrations on my Buck Folders because they came with them. If I ever need them, then cool, I've get 'em!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Montana View Post
    I like those combo blades, serrated that taper into a drop point.
    x2 tis nice to have it when needed.

I have to agree with Jason-Montana, I like the combo blades That way if I need a serrated blade I have it.
    Take only what you need, and leave the rest.

I prefer straight, but I'm not sure where that comes from. It might be that it's just out of habit and I started sharpening knives way before there was such a thing as serrated except for bread knives. Now I just like the look of a non-serrated blade better.
    I'll rest when I'm dead...

Blog Entries

I was always a straight edge kinda guy. Then I was given a Gerber Gator, the one with the combo blade. Man, that serrated edge has come in handy more than once.

Straight edge all the way!

Straight edged blades have worked for thousands of years, so why change now?!
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nativedude View Post
    Straight edge all the way!

Straight edged blades have worked for thousands of years, so why change now?!
    Bleeding people if they were sick was also a common practice for a long time. Would you rather have your wrists cut, or a dose of penicillin
    I'd rather be carried by six than married by one!