Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Response for Doug1980

Blog Entries

Default Response for Doug1980

When I opened the new posts today I found that half of the threads had nothing to do with wilderness survival, instead they were about remy and a few other topics that are nowhere relevant to this site at all. Seems like every day there is some type of drama/soap opera on here. Since I have joined it keeps getting worse and worse. There are many here that I enjoy conversing with and I absolutely love talking about survival and outdoor recreation. But it seems as if more and more this site is more of a place for drama then survival. I don't know remy and honestly could care less whether he stays or goes. I do feel that this entire thread and topic is rediculous, it amazes me how one member can have so much attention here. Half of the people who posted in this thread hardly ever reply to any of my survival related posts. Maybe the name of this site should be changed to "As the Drama Unfolds" that makes more sense at this point.

Doug,

What ya don't understand is that there are some of us that have been here awhile. There was a time when these old forum farts got into pretty serious and in-depth discussions about Survival mindsets, theories of death and survival, stress discussions that were alot more indepth than the current one posted. There were scenarios that started out all hunky dory....yet progressed just like a real survival scenario that showed the progress and destruction of a survival unit (units).

Maybe some of us are past our time here? I think that is why many who have been here for a few years just sit back and comment every now and then.

There is just so many times that topics can get discussed with passion until it starts getting redundant.

And like many boards, it gets to be a social internet meeting place.

But then, that's why this is in the General Chat and not the other forums

Blog Entries

Cool Hey Doug!

You convinced me, I took down "Remy's Survey, you're right!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Sarge......you're easy. Wish I could convince my wife that easy.LOL.

For those who care.........here are the final results.

Remy should stay. 14 or 82.35%
    Remy should go. 3 or 17.65%
    Voters: 17

That is all I will post on this.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    You convinced me, I took down "Remy's Survey, you're right!
    WOW, Now you see it, now you don't........Is anyone driving this ship....or is it just floundering on the rocks.......?????

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post

Crash, I am a bit embarrassed to ask, but why are your smilies BIGGER than mine.......

Because he's a super moderator...
    I'd rather be carried by six than married by one!

Snorrrrrt!!!!!!
    Turtle Clan / Coffee Addicts Anonymous

Well my intent was not to convince anyone. I am just another member, no one special. All I have is my opinion on the matter and nothing more. I am glad however, that is was removed. FVR I thank you for your response and now have a better idea of what is going on around here. Guess I just had different expectations on what I could gain from this forum. As I said before I don't really care what goes on here I read the posts that interest me and add my opinion when I can. I have learned things here and for that I am grateful. I have also had the pleasure of talking to some very knowledgable people and people who were not afraid to tell me when I was wrong (hopeak)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Doug and FVR both raise valid points, and as I have said the forum lacks leadership by Chris, and the forum is floundering. It has matured quickly to a point of nauseas for long timers, and yet the core function, and work responsibility remains. The truth is people don't often come here for answers, but to be part of a conversation, they want to contribute.

I for one love the community that we have, even Remy who drives me crazy with his six page essays to answer a simple question, and yet I voted that he stay and drive my more crazy, and Bragg who I miss.

I would encourage Chris to find ways to keep it interesting for the long timers, and helpful for those searching for basic information and allergic to the "Search" function, which really is boring because of all the off subject chatter.

Maybe mentoring could be worked in some how. It would not appeal to everyone. An example would be Wareagle69 and the person also in Northern Ontario who wanted to learn about plants.

Maybe rooms we go to to talk about the fine nuance's of .22LR vs. .22Magnum or .357 Mag. vs. .40 S&W.

Chris, your project has matured, perhaps quicker than you expected, however the space for the forum to grow into is yours to create.

Colorado Springs, CO wildography's Avatar
    Colorado Springs, CO; I've lived in 9 states, traveled through 32 others

there is some chat/joking/needling/etc in some of the threads... but there is a lot to learn also.

I know that I've spent quite a bit of time looking at old posts and doing "searches" for specific subjects... If someone wanted to, they could just read old posts and spend a few weeks in doing just that... there are also external links to other websites that you can spend even more time on...

So, the way that I look at it, some of the "rediculous" and ridiculous "chatter"/messages/etc is worthwhile putting up with because there is a wealth of information and experience here...

Its like I've said a number of times in posts... learn from the good advice, reject (or don't pay attention to) the "bad" advice... although you can... errr... well, at least I can (not wanting to speak for everybody) learn from anybody about anything... including what to do and what not to do...

and if you can laugh at some of the "stupid" stuff that's said here... at least you have a laugh! In today's economy... being able to laugh about something someone said is a lot better than crying about how this country seems to be going to hades in a hand basket fairly rapidly...

Hope - it's not the size of the emoticon, but how you post it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Hope - it's not the size of the emoticon, but how you post it.

Yea, Yea, but I still have to find a place to put it...... I see most but it near the bottom........

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak
    Doug and FVR both raise valid points, and as I have said the forum lacks leadership by Chris, and the forum is floundering. It has matured quickly to a point of nauseas for long timers, and yet the core function, and work responsibility remains. The truth is people don't often come here for answers, but to be part of a conversation, they want to contribute.

I for one love the community that we have, even Remy who drives me crazy with his six page essays to answer a simple question, and yet I voted that he stay and drive my more crazy, and Bragg who I miss.

I would encourage Chris to find ways to keep it interesting for the long timers, and helpful for those searching for basic information and allergic to the "Search" function, which really is boring because of all the off subject chatter.

Maybe mentoring could be worked in some how. It would not appeal to everyone. An example would be Wareagle69 and the person also in Northern Ontario who wanted to learn about plants.

Maybe rooms we go to to talk about the fine nuance's of .22LR vs. .22Magnum or .357 Mag. vs. .40 S&W.

Chris, your project has matured, perhaps quicker than you expected, however the space for the forum to grow into is yours to create.
    Interesting thoughts. Chris built a plant database that is rarely used. He has added a section for Fitness Training and Orienteering. He's added Blogs as well as added Reputation. All in an effort to enhance the forum. How many are taking advantage of the additions? Are you?

If you believe that additional sub sections are needed then add a Group specific to .22 or any other caliber you like. Or any other group subject. There are only four Groups that the members have developed. Adding a Group is something you can do and you can add a Group on any subject you like. Want a chat room? Add a Group.

With respect, it's a lot less about Chriss adding more features than it is about members taking the time to learn what features the forum offers and taking advantage of them.
    Last edited by Rick; 03-10-2009 at 08:37 AM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    With respect, it's a lot less about Chris adding more features than it is about members taking the time to learn what features the forum offers and taking advantage of them.
    Well, it is his "enterprise"............I keep seeing knowledgeable friends fade away, and replaced by clueless youth, seeking guidance on finding enlightenment via self inflicted banishment to the wilderness.

I think the forum personality and direction is up to the members and not the Administrator. He sets the ground rules, and the members take it from there. People are free to engage in a host of topics and discussions that interest them. With the exception of political and religious discussion, everything else is pretty much fair game. If the “membership” does not like the direction that the forum takes as it evolves, I believe it is up to them to keep it on track. People come here for a multitude of reasons, therefore the personality of the forum will shift from time to time. As Rick said, there are several underused areas of the forum. Knife Nutz has several participants, but really all we have done is post pics so others can enjoy them. There’s a group on fishing and another on primitive skills, both of which have very little activity. If there is an interest and a demand, create a group. That way, the topics will be of a specific nature.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    Well, it is his "enterprise"............I keep seeing knowledgeable friends fade away, and replaced by clueless youth, seeking guidance on finding enlightenment via self inflicted banishment to the wilderness.
    Every forum has that. It is the nature of the beast. And in a year or two the clueless youth get replaced by veteran members, and yet they will be the same person behind the keyboard.

I think the forum is not the problem but the site in total. The forum may be active but the .net foundation has not changed since I joined two years ago. Why does backpackinglight.com, bushcraftuk.com and backpacker.com have such a high growth? Because they have web 2.0 content! Content unrelated and outside of the forum. The forum should not be the main focus of a site. It should, rather, be a supportive center for knowledge reinforcement and specific Q/A.
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mitch.chesney View Post
    I think the forum is not the problem but the site in total. The forum may be active but the .net foundation has not changed since I joined two years ago. Why does backpackinglight.com, bushcraftuk.com and backpacker.com have such a high growth? Because they have web 2.0 content! Content unrelated and outside of the forum. The forum should not be the main focus of a site. It should, rather, be a supportive center for knowledge reinforcement and specific Q/A.
    O.K. I am not sure what you said, is there more to this....???? Is there a down side to this.......???? Could Joyquest.com in theory buy forums like this from owners like Chris, and aggregate them under one destination.....???

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    O.K. I am not sure what you said, is there more to this....???? Is there a down side to this.......???? Could Joyquest.com in theory buy forums like this from owners like Chris, and aggregate them under one destination.....???
    Not at all. Forums die when content gets stale. We've saturated content without providing anything new. Thus, we get Bragg's offbeat posts, arguments (which, judging by the collection of thread titles in the General Chat section, seems on the rise), and the majority of activity in the General Chat/Random sections. Just saying to get out of the tunnel vision of focusing exclusively on the forum for a fix.
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.