Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stress

Same stress Dennis...we just do not want to see it that way.

As far as serial killers not having emotions...i actually think, it is quiet the opposite.

Get Some!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I already challenged you on the I.Q. issue, Remy. You ignored the challenge, remember? Put up or shut up, REMY!
    I'm going to need you to go ahead and fill out an express written consent form to use my "Put up or shut up" line. Fax it to me and I'll have my lawyer review it and get back to you with details of use, marketing exclusions and royalty information.

Thanks!
    Hard times don't last -- Hard people do.

Get Some!

What stresses me out is feeling like I'm waiting for the proverbial "other shoe" to drop. I'm constantly preparing, reading, practicing, thinking about when the S H's the F. But it's given me an overall sense of doom and dread, where I weigh everything in my life against the end of the world, and realize how unimportant a lot of things are. It's become incredibly difficult to function "normally", i.e. kick back and watch t.v., listen to music, etc. All I'm concerned about is protecting family and surviving. It also separates me from "Friends" that I know, because all of their activities and hobbies seem so pointless. I feel like I want to grab them and tell them "NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR F'ING RECORD COLLECTION!!! DON"T YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON!? GOOD GOD MAN!!!" *face slap*

If you are so busy worrying about protecting life that you can't enjoy life, what's the point? Isn't the whole deal all about grabbing your kids, giving them a hug, telling them you love them, then say, "Let's go play?"

It's one thing to be prepared. That's why you buy insurance, smoke detectors, fire extinguishers and make some preparations should you have to leave on short notice (The WHOLE point of a BOB is to make your stay someplace else more comfortable).

It's quite another thing to buy into all the gloom and doom of those making money to tell you how bad it is. After all, if you really believe the world is going to end, you're going to buy their survival products. The fact is, you won't die until it's your time. Not even a doctor can kill you if it isn't your time.

Wouldn't it be a terrible thing to wake up one morning to find you are 80 years old, your wife left because she got tired of all the survival stuff and your kids don't know you because you never spent time with them? Of course, on the plus side, you'll have a year's worth of food stock piled.

Lighten up. Enjoy your life. Control what you can and forget about the rest of it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Norse&Native View Post
    What stresses me out is feeling like I'm waiting for the proverbial "other shoe" to drop. I'm constantly preparing, reading, practicing, thinking about when the S H's the F. But it's given me an overall sense of doom and dread, where I weigh everything in my life against the end of the world, and realize how unimportant a lot of things are. It's become incredibly difficult to function "normally", i.e. kick back and watch t.v., listen to music, etc. All I'm concerned about is protecting family and surviving. It also separates me from "Friends" that I know, because all of their activities and hobbies seem so pointless. I feel like I want to grab them and tell them "NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR F'ING RECORD COLLECTION!!! DON"T YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON!? GOOD GOD MAN!!!" *face slap*

I agree with Rick. This much of a focus on survival can be hazardous to your health and well-being. In addition, it oozes OCD, and speaks of a lack of control in other areas of your life so you focus more and more on what you CAN control. You see this same type of control issue in anorexic adolescent girls. As for the hobbies, heh, they probably look at your hobbie as pointless too, thinking that your wasting your time. While survivalists are definitely a different breed there is most certainly a balance you must find to avoid becoming the paranoid bug-eyed freak with an sks in a steam tunnel eating surplus C-RAT's because you *suspect* something may happen in 2012.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

I don't mind you calling me a bug-eyed freak but the steam IS starting to affect my laptop.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Remy, I read in the news that a new hormone was discovered, it's called "doofusal". Some people have more of it than others.

I agree with Rick, because he's cool, and good-looking, and...

No really. I prepare as much as I can, I change the things I can change, and don't let the things I cannot change bother me. And sometimes I drink heavily.

No, I don't think the world/society/civilization will end. I think things will get more difficult in 2009 with more job losses, more pyramid schemes tumbling down. But things will eventually get sorta repaired. Hopefully the greedy, dishonest people in power will be gone. And I am not referring just to politicians. You know the bankers caused most of the current problems.

Quote Originally Posted by bulrush View Post
    You know the bankers caused most of the current problems.
    I disagree. IMO the root cause (there were several contributing factors) is poitical in nature, so I won't elaborate due to forum rules.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Get Some!

To Rick and Alpine Sapper:

Thank you for the perspective. What you have to say definitely makes sense, and I know it's true. I do feel a lack of control in a lot of areas in my life and it manifests in survival preparedness. I gotta relax, man.

Feeling like you are not in control is high on the list of things that can really cause us stress. Survival planning is something you can do and a way of putting yourself in control of a situation. You are probably pretty confident about your skills, you know what direction you want to take and you are moving along that path. Makes perfect sense.

You can put yourself in control in other areas of your life as well by establishing what goals you want to obtain. Both short term and long term.

Establish goals that are simple and attainable to begin with. You need to write them down to make them real then develop a plan to reach those goals. Set aside time to work on your goals and celebrate each time you reach one.

If you think about it, that's probably what you've done in survival planning. You identified some item you wanted, figured out how you were going to acquire it, then worked to making it real.

You can do the same thing with expenses, debt, savings, time with your kids, spouse, or anything else you want to achieve. It's really about finding a balance between developing a safe environment for you and your family and living a happy, healthy life.

Good luck!

Well, I'd just like to thank everyone for their input on this insightful and educational thread, now I have something of an idea of what stress is. I know, I know, it's not the same as having actually experienced it, but now how many people on this forum think they know what tracking is because of what I posted, right? At least now I have an idea, just like them....this is such an educational forum.

Think I'll get my secretary to hold my calls so I can take my afternoon nap now.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Get Some!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Feeling like you are not in control is high on the list of things that can really cause us stress. Survival planning is something you can do and a way of putting yourself in control of a situation. You are probably pretty confident about your skills, you know what direction you want to take and you are moving along that path. Makes perfect sense.

You can put yourself in control in other areas of your life as well by establishing what goals you want to obtain. Both short term and long term.

Establish goals that are simple and attainable to begin with. You need to write them down to make them real then develop a plan to reach those goals. Set aside time to work on your goals and celebrate each time you reach one.

If you think about it, that's probably what you've done in survival planning. You identified some item you wanted, figured out how you were going to acquire it, then worked to making it real.

You can do the same thing with expenses, debt, savings, time with your kids, spouse, or anything else you want to achieve. It's really about finding a balance between developing a safe environment for you and your family and living a happy, healthy life.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the positive reinforcement, y'all. I'll definitely put your advice to practice.

Trax - I'd love to help you out....which way did you come in?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Trax - I'd love to help you out....which way did you come in?
    ohhhh, I get it! That's humor...oh now I'm laughing, good one Rick, yeah. ha. haha. ha. You're really something. Oh no, please I can't stop laughing. Yeah.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by Norse&Native View Post
    To Rick and Alpine Sapper:

Thank you for the perspective. What you have to say definitely makes sense, and I know it's true. I do feel a lack of control in a lot of areas in my life and it manifests in survival preparedness. I gotta relax, man.
    lol. just so ya know, I wrote that looking in the mirror. dig?
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.