Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild Pig Prevention

Default Wild Pig Prevention

Hi
    Last night in my campsite I thought that a group of wild pigs went through and scared the **** out of me.
    Does anyone know any way to help prevent this. Even my dog was scared(shes not a very good guard dog).

While camping, exclusion is probably not an option (unless you are there for a long (read real long) stay. I'm not aware of any methods that will scare them off. I would make sure that there is/are no things in the camp that would draw them in (food). They may not be a bad thing however. If you get hungry it's kind of nice to have your food source come to you.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Id hate to get trampled in my tent by a herd of hogs.That thin nylon doesnt feel too secure when its dark out and your in a sleeping bag.A firearm does help me sleep better.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadoran Nomad View Post
    Hi
    Last night in my campsite I thought that a group of wild pigs went through and scared the **** out of me.
    Does anyone know any way to help prevent this. Even my dog was scared(shes not a very good guard dog).
    I always feel most secure sleeping in a hammock. I don't like the thought of snakes, bugs, or other critters sneaking up on me. The only time where this is a concern is in cold weather when the wind could turn out to be a problem.

Personally I like the hennessy hammock. Its like a little hanging tent

Colorado Springs, CO wildography's Avatar
    Colorado Springs, CO; I've lived in 9 states, traveled through 32 others

A 12 gauge loaded with slugs does wonders... of course, you might have to memorize the phrase: "but, Mr. Game Warden, we thought they were going to attack us!".

From what I've seen of wild hogs, wild dogs, and javelinas... the only way to keep them from coming around is the sound of gunfire...

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I would holler FREE BACON !! real loud. They should clear out then.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Blog Entries

Sleep in a tree like your wild ancestors did!
    Last edited by klkak; 03-05-2009 at 11:18 PM.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Quote Originally Posted by wildography View Post
    A 12 gauge loaded with slugs does wonders... of course, you might have to memorize the phrase: "but, Mr. Game Warden, we thought they were going to attack us!".

From what I've seen of wild hogs, wild dogs, and javelinas... the only way to keep them from coming around is the sound of gunfire...
    No bag limit or season on feral hogs here. But in the middle of the night just use a .45. During the day, that's a different story. Put a little corn on the road and wait till momma sow starts to eat. Put a .223 in her ear and hit the bolt. I wouldn't hit more than one or two a day in the summer though unless you like being covered in fleas and ticks while butchering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00cPQ2M4QGo
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

I guess it may have been the dog food i left out over night - tonight I will make sure its all packed away. I dont have a gun (coz im australian and we have laws againts it) so that isnt really an option.

Free Bacon - yep sounds good to me

How about bottle rockets or firecrackers then.Hogs would never know the difference.

I guess it may have been the dog food i left out over night - tonight I will make sure its all packed away. I dont have a gun (coz im australian and we have laws againts it) so that isnt really an option.

When you pack it away, hang it in a tree a little distance from your campsite.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Man, that sux. However, in that case, go primal. Use a nice, sharp spear.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Wild hogs usually avoid people, they also have a very good sense of smell. While camping in hog country in Louisiana, we had hogs come in one night, they tore into the cooler. After that we kept the food up, and we spread some clothes out around the camp to keep the human odor up. Not sure if it made a difference but the hogs never came into camp after that.

you could always build a punji pit on their trail
    I know what hunts you.

Get Some!

Check out Les Stroud's episode entitled Arizona Desert. He talks about avoiding peccary attacks.
    Hard times don't last -- Hard people do.

make a bow and some arrows , spear, traps and listen to them squeal.
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

Banned

They obviously aren't hunted much where you camped or they would have a natural fear of humans. Where humans do not hunt wild swine humans are on the menu FOR the wild swine. Kill some and your smell will be feared.

My smell is feared and I haven't killed anyone. Mostly, I blame it on the dog.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Wild hogs usually avoid people, they also have a very good sense of smell.
    according to your post that is the reason they didn't come back, it was the smell LOL
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    My smell is feared and I haven't killed anyone.
    You should try bathing more than once a month.