Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: .22 MAGNUM ONLY TALK about .22 MAGNUM & Rim fires

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

There is an option for lower power loads in a 22 mag chambered fire arm. It is the Winchester Rim Fire cartridge. Same diameter as the 22 mag and a slight bit larger than thr 22LR. Cabela's lists them in their catalog and I have bought them from Midway as well. They shot well in my Ruger Single Six.
    I was fortunate to win a Kel-Tec PMR 30 22Mag pistol at a Friends of the NRA banquet the begining of this month. What a sweet shooting hand gun!! With a 30 round mag, it never seem to shoot dry! I havn't yet tried the WRF loads to see if they will cycle the action. I have been urging Ruger to bring out the Model 101 in 22 mag. I have one in 22LR but really, really want one in 22Mag. I also understand that Savage will be bringing out the new Model 42 O/U in 22Mag/20 ga this summer. I think I will want one as a survival/walk about-gun. For self defense use with the 22Mag, I am very impressed with rthe Hornady Critical Defense loading. For survival use on larger game, I will be carrying the Federal Game Point load.
    Last edited by Old Professor; 03-23-2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: misspelling

The Single Six and a Cricket,Nice combination.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I am now thinking of turning one of my CZ-452 ULTRA-LUX rifles w/28.7" barrel into a .22 Magnum single shot.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 01-30-2013 at 01:17 AM.

I love the .22 Mag, sometimes I think its my favorite, then I shoot my .22 LR and change my mind. I picked up a bolt Marlin in .22 wmr and for a while had a AMT automag in .22 wmr as well. Finally sold it and picked up a single six with both cylinders...much better since .22 wmr is not a plinking round the ability to practice with the cheap ammo and carry the spendy more powerful .22 mag is a blessing. I even killed one of our Sitka Blacktail deer with my Marlin. Two shots to the neck and it just laid down. I dont want to make a practice of it but its nice to know its capable.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

I just bought a single six with the magnum cylinder and it seems to be a very accurate pistol. Since it is the only gun I own that will shoot .22 magnum, I am going to buy a Savage bolt action to go with it! I think the .22 magnum would be a nice little home defense round as long as I am not facing hoards of looters and criminals!
    Normally any kind of gun will deter a single threat, but when multiple threats are present, I would definately want a more lethal gun.

Maybe my favorite gun, my Marlin Lever action Model 1894M in .22 magnum. It is never too far away.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

I finally got a 22 mag, CZ512 semi auto. Sweet trapline gun. Ammo is a bit spendy but a fun shooter and more stopping power than my 10-22 LR.

yea .22 mag rocks. Probably the best utilitarian hunting round ever made. .22 lr is cheap sure but I don't have much use for one, never really did, I grew up with shotguns unlike many who grew up on .22 lr so I have no emotional attachment to the round, and to me, it's under-powered compared with shotties and the good ol magnum. I like utility guns that can harvest a wide variety of game while you are out hunting and for small/med/large game a .22 mag takes care of all 3. It's a popular round with subsistence hunters because it works. I see the magnum as more of a small capable centerfire like the hornet rather than a squirrel round like the .22 lr. Stingers don't make it a magnum either.

a .22 mag is much better perfomance-wise than .22 lr for turkeys which is the smallest game I usually hunt with a gun on a regular basis. With Win X 40 gr fmj or jhp to the brain or heart for larger game it makes meat. Yea sometimes it takes more than one shot but so does a .308 too sometimes, who cares.

I like a one-gun does it all, rather than packing in 2 or more rifles. I would rather have a good .22 mag with a lot of rounds than a .303 (which i really like for hunting) for big game, a 12 gauge for birds and a .22 lr for rabbits/small game...in my thinking with one good .22 mag rifle you have all those bases covered. I don't snipe animals at 200 yards I get in close to 50 as I am also an xbow hunter so the .22 wmr works well for me. .

Some how in my life stuff shows up that I didn't intend.......The .22mag is one such caliber.
    First came in the form of a Ruger Single Six second cylinder.....followed by a Savage 24- 22 mag over 20 ga.....
    So when the time came that a hankering for a NAA Mini revolver came along figured, what the hey, lets get the .22 mag.....

Fact is, there isn't a designated .22 mag rifle around, but have considered a H&R Sportster Rim fire SS1 frame, in .22 mag....then order the .17 HMR and .22 cal barrels with it........ at $75 bucks each.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

With a .22 mag, why would you need a 17 HMR? Is their that much difference?

LOL......Well ....DuH...that would make it a 'Complete Matched Set"......For around $300 bucks.
    I'm old enough to not really need a reason or a need......LOL

Somehow I ended up with a marlin 17 mag, savage 17 mag and a taurus 17 mag revolver. It's a loooooooooooooong story so I'll just explain it as "just because"

I really want myra extruder.

So after all of this .22 Magnum talk, nobody has discussed which is better, the .22 Mag, or the .17HMR. I am going to buy a new rimfire rifle soon, and was kind of wanting a .22 mag, but I keep wondering if the .17 is better. Can you guys make my mind up for me

I'll tell ya that .17 ammo is still around, where .22 mag is in kinda short supply......bought a box of each yesterday for $15 buck a box of 50.....
    Of course hopefully that won't last forever.....as far as what's best....what day, is today?

Given a choice I would opt for bigger bullet....but with barrels @ $79 bucks, went up $4 bucks....why not have both?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Look at it this way;

Would you rather have a hot rod .22

or

a hot rod BB-gun?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Both....one can never have too many hot rods, or have too much fun....Buhahahahah
    Now a Hot Rod would be a .204 Ruger......

Okay, comments from 1 smartass and 1 intellectual snob and I still don't know which is best, doesn't this just figure

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    This it "NOT" about your idea of the perfect survival firearm, we did that, and we did that well.

This is about one subject ONLY.....the .22 Magnum Rim fire and to a small extent the .17 caliber rim fire cartridges.

Yes, .22 Magnum ammo is six times as expensive as .22LR ammo, (say sub $2.00 per box vs. $12.00 per box of 50 cartridges). It is for sure not a do everything cartridge. And I have always dreamed of a NEW cartridge the .25 Magnum Rim fire, same case length, only .25 caliber.

Dollar for dollar the .22LR is six times better, IF and it is a sizable "IF" .22LR can get the job done.

So all things .22 MAGNUM including .22 Magnum Rifles and Handguns.

Note: I love the .22 Mag. and hoard 3,000 rounds of .22 Mag. ammo. I own a CZ Model 452 FS in .22 Mag. and a Anschutz Model # 1515-1516 in .22 Mag. also a converted S&W model 17 w/Target Hammer and Target Trigger in .22 Magnum, & Remington 597 sporter, in .22 Magnum.

And I am buying a Remington 597 w/Laminated stock and Heavy Bull Barrel in .22 Magnum.

What do you think.........about .22 Magnum....
    I bought my first 22 magnum last weekend (Ruger Single Six). I will let you know what I think of it after I have had some time to use it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Got my first 22 mag rifle couple of years ago. It really fills in the gap between the 22 LR and the high power rifle and it's more economical to shoot. That's why I bought it so I could keep shooting.
    All through history it has been proven that the right to keep and bear arms is ultimately the only thing that keeps us free

Well I would think that the .22 Mag would hit a little harder than the .17 HMR because of the bullet weight. Then I have heard that the smaller bullet and higher velocity of the .17 bucks the wind better and is more accurate at long range. Then you will hear that the .22 Mag is more stable in the wind because of the heavier bullet weight from some people. I'm not sure anybody really knows which is better and I may just give up